Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Omaha players HATE to have their play challenged (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=163868)

Runner Runner 07-17-2006 01:31 PM

Omaha players HATE to have their play challenged

I normally play $100 PLO on Party. I am amazed at how easy it is to get people to divulge information about their hand. Normally I will make a statement after folding top or middle set in a spot where I am unsure as to whether I am beat, for instance:

I have Kings with nothing else in BB and there's a bunch of limpers.

Flop: AK8 with 2 diamonds
I pot, I caller.
Turn: T of hearts.
I check, villain pots, I fold.

Me: Did you straighten, cause if you did my 2 pair had u KILLED on the flop.

Villain: I had set of aces with nut-flush draw, play.

Me: Oh, u had me killed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Omaha players LOVE to tell you how good their hand was or how bad you play. Let them do it if they are willing to sacrifice some information while doing it.

Phishy McFish 07-17-2006 01:51 PM

Re: Omaha players HATE to have their play challenged

...of course POKER players have been known to lie...from time to time.

Not me personally, but others have I'm sure.

KSOT 07-17-2006 02:26 PM

The few times I've tried fishing for such information, I got no reply whatsoever...

zymmyz 07-17-2006 02:44 PM

I've seen Omaha players show their hands when they fold more often than in hold 'em, I think to show they can make the "big laydown" of folding two pair.

And if people ask me for such information, I lie about it all the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Runner Runner 07-17-2006 02:56 PM

C'mon guys I have had about a 75% success rate when fishing for such information and I am not the Mike Caro of internet poker. Although I cannot be totally certain they are telling the truth, I can at least be reasonably certain, if it's a hand that I put them on and the nature of poker players wanting to often times tell someone when they were bluffing.

I think the 2 keys to getting the info are:

-You must be condescending and let them know that they got lucky.
-You must convey that you think you folded a strong hand. This strong hand must also be weak by their standards and they must believe that you overvalue that hand.

In the end, they think less of you as a poker player (which is often good) and they also let you what they were holding.

christyirish 07-17-2006 03:51 PM

I think that american players at small to medium stakes often want to impress you! They want your respect more than your money. Its kind of funny

Phishy McFish 07-17-2006 03:52 PM

I think you underestimate how much they DO NOT want to be thought of as a donkey (willing to chase/bluff), if they quickly show you a hand history paste I may be inclined to believe them....and I'm not saying I don't fish for info either...but I take it with a grain of salt.

Chimichonga 07-17-2006 04:03 PM

Notice how everyone has a monster in these situations...

mdw72 07-17-2006 06:16 PM

It's rare I say any thing about my hand, its even more rare I show my hand, and I always lie when I say something about my hand. I don't think I am any different from anyone else.

mosta 07-17-2006 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that american players at small to medium stakes often want to impress you! They want your respect more than your money. Its kind of funny

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much the only chat I ever do in online poker is whenever anyone shows a hand they didn't have to show, I give them a "NH" or such. it's what they're looking for, and I make it a rule to encourage them to do it more.