Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Venetain Dilemma (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=117961)

Howard Burroughs 05-20-2006 10:16 AM

Venetain Dilemma

Greetings,

Opinions sought..........

I already have my 50 hours in for the Venetian freeroll (a long time ago). A good friend of mine has about 4 hours to go (to qualify for his 50 hours for the month) and asks me if I'll come on down and play in his game and he'll buy me late night dinner afterwards.

I agree.

He's had a great, great week so far and decides to play the lowest limit game in the room to relax and get his last 4 hours in.

We're in the same game. It gets 3-handed. All of a sudden, we have a full game and it's a very great game.

A little later it gets down to 4 handed. Two players leave (leaving just me and my friend). We are happy to play (we have a reduced rake, $1 max at $30). We are playing and having a good time (and tipping the dealer better then Photoc at a Sushi Bar!).

Then the floor man comes over and hands us some empty racks and says. "games's over, you two rack up, this game is over".

I say, "What?"

He says he's not dealing a game heads up with a $1 rake.

I say that's what you told us 5 minutes ago ($1 at $30, max). He says rack up and leave.

As he's walking away to get some paper to officially break the game, other dealers whom I've known for years, say to me, "Howard this is B.S., ask "TOM", he's the big boss.

Steve (the floorman) comes over again to kick us out (again, we are tipping well to the dealers). I ask him if we can talk to "Tom". He tells us Tom is not around.

I again ask him about, if we can talk to Tom. He again tells us we have to leave or pay full rake (a few minutes after he (steve) gave us a reduced rake). He tells us we have to leave.

All of a sudden Tom shows up. He hears all of the facts from both Steve (the floorman) and me. He rules in my favor. My friend says, " I don't know if I even want to play here now". And faster then Photoc can leave a $5 tip at a fancy restaurant, we head off into the night in search of a late night dining experience.

All in all I enjoy the Venetian. As I was driving away, I called a couple of good 2+2 friends of mine (as to whether I should post this B&M experience on 2+2 B&M or not for feedback). They Both said, "Post it".

In a nut-shell,

1) I've never seen a floor man reduce a rake and then five minutes later say "Full rake or you're gone!".

2) I've never seen a floor man bring empty racks to a table and say, "game is over".

I'd love to hear from Randy R, Rick, N., Photoc, Don O. and all of you. If I'm out of line, let me know.

Thanks,

Howard

RR 05-20-2006 10:22 AM

Re: Venetain Dilemma

You are not out of line at all. They are not closing so there is no reason to close a gmae where peopel are wanting to play. There are a lot of people that don't understand poker that consider a heads up game "stupid" and don't want it around.

Don Olney 05-20-2006 10:30 AM

Howard,
WOW. THIS BAD, REAL BAD. I am going to take this to Lee if you do not mind. I have a meeting with him Monday to go over a few things about the room. Most of the stuff I like there. A few things I would like to see change or get a better answer to WHY they are doing things the way they are. WOW that was long winded. But hey, I can not write the way you do.
In a nut shell. YOU WERE RIGHT. THE FLOOR WAS WRONG.

Howard Burroughs 05-20-2006 10:40 AM

Thanks Randy and Don!

(I'm getting ready to go to bed).

BTW, I do think Tom the head floor man made things right (But my friend was tired of the situation by then, he's mellow) but I'm just plain in shock by Steve the other floor man. Give us one rake then revoke it minutes later???

Thanks again guys for the feeback!!!

Much thanks,

Howard

IdealFugacity 05-20-2006 10:43 AM

Can't they close a table whenever the heck they want to close a table?

RR 05-20-2006 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they can, but if tey start closing tables to dealers can go home etc they will soon be replaced.

Howard Burroughs 05-20-2006 10:53 AM

"Can't they close a table whenever the heck they want to close a table?"

Good question.

I may ask gaming about this.

But........

Even if they can. Is it a good practice for a place that is trying to build a poker room?

FWIW......I've played a gazillion hours of late night Vegas poker (a lot of it short handed) over the last decade +. I've never once (until tonight) had a floor man come over and give a reduced rake, then revoke it minutes later with empty racks in his hand. Then lie about it to his boss.

I like the room but This guy was someting else IHMO.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best Wishes

Howard

Howard Beale 05-20-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They should do everything in their power to keep the customers happy. In a LV poker room if you upset 2 players you may never see them again (there is plenty of competition) but you may also never see many of their friends. Including the ones they have here.

noir 05-20-2006 11:17 AM

I think this is a pretty ridiculous move by the floor, but I can't say I'm surprised.

I played there on Tuesday. The only reason I'll play there again is if I'm in town with my sister who plays 3-6.

One dealer was underraking the pot and sometimes not raking at all in a full game. This, among other things (like getting confused about making change), indicated that he really didn't know how to run the game. One would think that the floor would make sure that the dealers take appropriate rake. If they are unable to train their dealers to do something like that, how well can they run a room on the whole?

It's nice to get $2 a hour and good water, but if I'm playing NL I want a dealer with a good handle on the game running the show. And they have them at Wynn and Bellagio.

pokerfloor 05-20-2006 12:47 PM

At Caesars last night(early morning) I let four people play
5-10 NL for no rake as long as they took care of my dealers(and they did)
and I let two guys play heads up for no rake on 2-5 NL.
I don't want to lose the games at 5am they might be full in an hour last night I had 8 games at 5am only one was a limit game 4-8