Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Dear Stars: Allow Datamining (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399219)

MyTurn2Raise 05-09-2007 03:38 PM

Dear Stars: Allow Datamining

with the FTP bot issue, I think the time has come that Stars allows players to datamine. Dataminers are actually the best defense against bots. If it's open to all players to do it, I don't see a specific advantage given.

By not allowing players to datamine, I can only assume that there are very shady things going on at Stars.

DMoogle 05-09-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Dear Stars: Allow Datamining

I agree with you, and I datamine on FTP.

However, I feel that datamining hurts the integrity of the game as well (albeit not nearly as much as botting does).

Vavavoom 05-09-2007 03:49 PM

I agree...as I have paid for a subscription service for Stars/Party..

however, the only way round it is to pay for the subscription service...as you can't physically get all the hands from your level..

Allowing datamining isn't the answer...more stringent examination of playing styles needs to be used....that or some sort of activation key that Party semi-introduced....as allowing datamining means that the keener players or players with the facility to datamine would be able to search for discrepancies in players' styles and the casual/recreational player still wouldn't bother...

I would pay the site directly for the HH's at a particular level...and cut out the middle man...

LeapFrog 05-09-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dataminers are actually the best defense against bots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to true. Internal investigations have access to the entire database as well as mouse movements/whatever else the client may be recording.

mo42nyy 05-09-2007 03:52 PM

it would be better for the games as a whole if people actually learned to play poker

Isura 05-09-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it would be better for the games as a whole if people actually learned to play poker

[/ QUOTE ]

?

Grunch 05-09-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

"You're disrespecting the game!"

questions 05-09-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, don't be ridiculous. That's not the problem. The problem is other players winning.

Grunch 05-09-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dataminers are actually the best defense against bots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to true. Internal investigations have access to the entire database as well as mouse movements/whatever else the client may be recording.

[/ QUOTE ]

The site may have access to the most efficient tools, but 3rd party watchdogs keep them honest.

rgold79 05-09-2007 03:56 PM

I made a more in depth post on the FTP bot thread re datamining but I'll post the cliffs notes version here: Expansion of datamining to sites that don't currently allow it is a bad idea, IMO. The players should not police the games, the sites should do so. The players should call out the sites publicly when they fail to fulfill that duty.