Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***ROCKETS 07-08*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529561)

onlinebeginner 10-23-2007 04:30 PM

***ROCKETS 07-08***

I'm really excited for this season... I love the scola signing, and love the francis signing (tho I don't think it's a HUDGE impact), bonzi should be pretty good as well

They have a ridiculous amount of depth at PG and would imagine they're going to make some moves mid season...

I really feel like they could make a deal with the cavs for verajo... he would be great coming off the bench and they need a PG and we could basically let them choose from our LOT of them

If they make the right tweaks during the year,they have the potential to be the best team... as of now I feel like they are definately TOP 5 in the leauge [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SammyKid11 10-23-2007 07:10 PM

Re: ***ROCKETS 07-08***

I'm a Rockets fan (second, after the Mavs...grew up in Houston, but lived in Dallas for 10 years)...I say they need to win a playoff series before anyone should start talking about them being the best team. Yes, there's lots of talent, but that talent has seriously underperformed up to now. Interesting to see how the coaching change will impact the dynamic of the team.

And yes, there's lots of DEPTH at PG, but not any one guy that I trust to effectively run that team right now (Francis may well be able to rebound, but we'll see -- Mike James is great defensively -- Rafer Alston, meh). Somebody has to step up and be the man there, and even with the Scola move, they are comparatively weak at the 4.

onlinebeginner 10-23-2007 08:01 PM

they are weak at the 4... but they have alot of depth at PG to make a trade for a defensive minded PF...

Are you sure mike james is good at defense? (no sarcasm, just reallynot that sure)

Francis should be great off the bench, especially when T-Mac needs a break, he can be a good perimiter scorer in limited minutes i'm sure

what PF's are available for trade... Verajo seems like he should be the main target... is there anyone else similar to him available?

right now they're a really good team, they need a little tweaking and they have the personel to do it I believe

tuq 10-23-2007 08:32 PM

onlinebeginner! One of my favorite things about the NBA season is being able to interact with you more frequently. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I don't know how the Rockets get more than 50-52 wins in that division, i.e. 4th-5th seed and having to face probably two of the SA/Dallas/PHX trifecta in the playoffs. That's a pretty bad beat. I wonder what the o/u is on wins for them this year at most sites.

Ralph Wiggum 10-23-2007 09:44 PM

They look different in preseason, w/ yao playing divac/webber's part in the offense. I think they're a lock as a top4 team, and i'd say they'll win 57 games. Most importantly they'll be enjoyable to watch.

rafiki 10-23-2007 09:48 PM

big rockets fan here too ! Last year hurt me. But I'm excited about the new coach and Francis being a depth guy at PG for us. I hope we do move some of that PG talent, because obviously we can't use 5 NBA ready guys, lol.

onlinebeginner 10-23-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
onlinebeginner! One of my favorite things about the NBA season is being able to interact with you more frequently. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I don't know how the Rockets get more than 50-52 wins in that division, i.e. 4th-5th seed and having to face probably two of the SA/Dallas/PHX trifecta in the playoffs. That's a pretty bad beat. I wonder what the o/u is on wins for them this year at most sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a bad beat for one of the trifecta teams to play them as well... and with a few minor tweaks I think they can be better than those teams

tuq 10-24-2007 12:48 PM

I am a little off, I think. I went to a futures site this morning and these are the offerings for o/u on wins this season:

Dallas 56.5
Phoenix 56
San Antonio 55.5
Houston 54

I still think Houston is a bit high there but not enough to where I'm gonna bet on it. Maybe if they stay healthy for a year they can win 60, but I still think it's too tough of a division and conference to pull that off. Although I think Hollinger projected them to win the most games of anyone, but he is dumb.

EDIT: they are also 9/2 to win the WC, which surprised me for how low it was. The big three were all around 2/1.

Green Kool Aid 10-24-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I think Hollinger projected them to win the most games of anyone, but he is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban

DrewDevil 10-24-2007 07:04 PM

Stevie Franchise = cancer. Why oh why did they bring back this clown?

onlinebeginner 10-24-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stevie Franchise = cancer. Why oh why did they bring back this clown?

[/ QUOTE ]

because they need a slashing perimter player when mcgrady is on the bench... it should work out fine

tuq 10-24-2007 07:50 PM

So isn't the net of that Franchise - McGrady trade from a few years ago that the Rockets got by far the best end of the deal, even with the injuries? I mean, by far. Is New York deferring any of his salary this year? He is being paid $16.5 million and last year averaged 11/4/4 while shooting 41% from the field. Pathetic. And check out this blurb from the stat page:

"Francis has been slower than the other Houston guards to pick up the offense and could see little playing time early on, the Houston Chronicle reports. (Oct 21)"

el oh el

kidcolin 10-24-2007 07:56 PM

tuq,

You're a newb. Francis got traded to Portland. Portland bought him out because he sucks. Houston signed him (not sure how much).

tuq 10-24-2007 08:03 PM

kidcolin,

Shows you how much I know. His salary is listed as like $16,440,000 or something ridiculous so I assumed it was a deferment thing. I wasn't paying attention to washed-up overpaid ex-star transactions over the summer.

kidcolin 10-24-2007 08:06 PM

I think it's a cheap ass deal. 2 years $6M?

onlinebeginner 10-24-2007 08:17 PM

ya its a cheap deal... if things go well he can replace mcgrady as the go to perimiter guy for 8 minutes a game... if not, oh well

ReDeYES88 10-24-2007 08:39 PM

keep an eye out for the francis/bonzi cancer that very well could spread. two guys that you don't want in your locker room.

hope they keep Brooks, you'll rue the day you traded him if he goes.

Vyse 10-24-2007 09:02 PM

What makes you think the Rockets need a PF? Scola is a perfect fit, as is Chuck Hayes.

If anything, the Rockets still need a PG, because 40% and below FGs from Alston, James and Francis are going to kill them. Otherwise role players like Scola, Hayes, Mutombo, Butler, Head, and Battier fit the team construction perfectly. The hard put will be fitting in Wells and finding a PG who doesn't suck or take up a million possessions.

If they can figure those two things out, they probably are the best team in the NBA.

BobboFitos 10-24-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think the Rockets need a PF? Scola is a perfect fit, as is Chuck Hayes.

If anything, the Rockets still need a PG, because 40% and below FGs from Alston, James and Francis are going to kill them. Otherwise role players like Scola, Hayes, Mutombo, Butler, Head, and Battier fit the team construction perfectly. The hard put will be fitting in Wells and finding a PG who doesn't suck or take up a million possessions.

If they can figure those two things out, they probably are the best team in the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, and if the bulls didnt have MJ, they wouldnt have been the best team in the nba.

but the fact is the rockets have a murky PG situation among other (smaller) problems.

onlinebeginner 10-24-2007 09:53 PM

vyse you have no clue what ur talking about

bonzi loves adleman so that should be cool, plus they had him at his worst last year and it didn't effect them at all... it'll be straight, and ya i hope they keep brooks to

Green Kool Aid 10-24-2007 09:54 PM

i would like to echo tuq's happiness for getting onlinebeginner's presence in nba threads.

onlinebeginner 10-24-2007 09:55 PM

I assume there goal is to figure out the PG situation by mid season, then trade what they don't need to get a defensive PF... hayes plus alston and a draft pick could get you alot i feel like

BobboFitos 10-24-2007 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume there goal is to figure out the PG situation by mid season, then trade what they don't need to get a defensive PF... hayes plus alston and a draft pick could get you alot i feel like

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, it could get you hayes + alston + draft pick.

cant really think of a team that would want those guys

(besides, i like hayes on the rockets, good team guy)

onlinebeginner 10-24-2007 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, it could get you hayes + alston + draft pick.

cant really think of a team that would want those guys

(besides, i like hayes on the rockets, good team guy)

[/ QUOTE ] really, alston is a solid PG that didn't really fit on this team... maybe he will in adlemans' system... time will tell, but i'm gussing he won't

the point tho is he definately has some value

Vyse 10-24-2007 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

bonzi loves adleman so that should be cool, plus they had him at his worst last year and it didn't effect them at all... it'll be straight, and ya i hope they keep brooks to

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure about that?

I wasn't referring at all to Wells' attitude problems. I'm referring to the fact that he's a horrible fit for the team. He can't shoot, and needs the ball to be effective offensively. Except the offense rightfully goes through Yao and T-Mac and Wells isn't active like Scola is and, again, can't shoot. Wells is a good rebounder for his position, but the Rockets are already maybe the best rebounding team in the NBA. He's decent to give T-Mac a breather every now and then, I guess, but playing him over Battier or Head would be unwise. Battier can shoot and defend. Head can shoot and handles the ball better than Wells.

Possession-sucking role-players on a team with two superstars does not work.

Hayes is quite good defensively and a great rebounder and is ridiculously cheap, so how is a defensive-minded PF a need?

onlinebeginner 10-24-2007 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure about that?

I wasn't referring at all to Wells' attitude problems. I'm referring to the fact that he's a horrible fit for the team. He can't shoot, and needs the ball to be effective offensively. Except the offense rightfully goes through Yao and T-Mac and Wells isn't active like Scola is and, again, can't shoot. Wells is a good rebounder for his position, but the Rockets are already maybe the best rebounding team in the NBA. He's decent to give T-Mac a breather every now and then, I guess, but playing him over Battier or Head would be unwise. Battier can shoot and defend. Head can shoot and handles the ball better than Wells.

Possession-sucking role-players on a team with two superstars does not work.

Hayes is quite good defensively and a great rebounder and is ridiculously cheap, so how is a defensive-minded PF a need?

[/ QUOTE ]

a taller bigger bodied power forward to guard boozer and duncan

also bonzi will come off the bench, he doesn't need to be a staplepoint...and u were talking about his attitude,then realized that point made no sense

Vyse 10-24-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hard put will be fitting in Wells

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, funny, I don't see his attitude mentioned anywhere.

You're obviously an ignorant fan, so I'll make it a point to ignore anything you say from this point.

In general I'm excited to see this Rocket team play. 70 games from both Yao and T-Mac and health in the playoffs and this is a top 3 team, and Houston v SA makes me bust a nut.

Assani Fisher 10-25-2007 12:45 AM

You guys are way underestimating Scola. They are fine at PF. They don't need another dominant post scorer since they have Yao. Yes Scola may seem weak compared to so many other great PFs, but those great PFs probably have a role player at center...its just reversed for Houston.

Their problem is PG. They have a lot of marginal players. Their best hope is that Brooks turns into a solid player and is starting by the end of the year. Alston looks like he performed the best in preseason and won the job.

sublime 10-25-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I think Hollinger projected them to win the most games of anyone, but he is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you could post for 10 more years and this would be the dumbest thing you would post (backhanded compliment?)

T_Mac 10-25-2007 03:06 AM

Always been a T-Mac fan, hope he and Yao can get over the hump. Definitely looking forward to seeing their new style of play, don't think they're as good as the top 3 yet but they sure are dangerous. I hope Adelman can control Mike James, Rafer, Francis, and Bonzi cause those sure are some knuckleheads.

Veecee 10-25-2007 03:41 AM

I think Rafer is the best option for the Adelman offense. I expect this team to do really well and finally get to the 2nd round.

ReDeYES88 10-25-2007 08:09 AM

I'm an Oregon alum and have probably seen 80% of the games that Brooks played in college. The kid has come a long way and has a hell of a game right now. He's the long term fit for SOMEBODY at PG, and Houston has the ability to make it them.

onlinebeginner 10-25-2007 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are way underestimating Scola. They are fine at PF. They don't need another dominant post scorer since they have Yao. Yes Scola may seem weak compared to so many other great PFs, but those great PFs probably have a role player at center...its just reversed for Houston.

Their problem is PG. They have a lot of marginal players. Their best hope is that Brooks turns into a solid player and is starting by the end of the year. Alston looks like he performed the best in preseason and won the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scola is good, but he's 6'9... they need a guy closer to seven feet who's a better rebounder/defensive player to make the next step... and i think they can get it by trading some of their pg's/draft picks

edit: and ya i know they don't need another post scorer..scolas scoring ability should be more than enough

tuq 10-25-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you could post for 10 more years and this would be the dumbest thing you would post (backhanded compliment?)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I've written way worse this week alone. Hollinger (irrationally?) bugs the piss out of me with his 100% stat-based reasoning for everything. PER? OK fine, Yao has the best projected PER, but what would he be picked in a mock draft by NBA GMs, 6th or worse? Then he was nutriding the Spurs all last year and I think he got lucky on that one (could just as easily have been the Mavs or Suns that won the title).

I consider Hollinger to be the stat geek yin to Marc Stein's "everyman's analysis" yang though so there is a place for it.

EDIT: I guess a good question is, does anyone seriously believe they will lead the NBA in wins this season? This is a Rockets thread so it would require setting homerism aside, but it's a hard sell.

kidcolin 10-25-2007 01:53 PM

whoa... c'mon. He "nutrided" the Spurs by placing them slightly higher than the Mavs, who were slightly higher than the Suns. It was all pretty close anyway you cut the cake.

Artdogg 10-25-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care how smart Hollinger may have been in the past, that projection is idiotic.

onlinebeginner 10-25-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I've written way worse this week alone. Hollinger (irrationally?) bugs the piss out of me with his 100% stat-based reasoning for everything. PER? OK fine, Yao has the best projected PER, but what would he be picked in a mock draft by NBA GMs, 6th or worse? Then he was nutriding the Spurs all last year and I think he got lucky on that one (could just as easily have been the Mavs or Suns that won the title).

I consider Hollinger to be the stat geek yin to Marc Stein's "everyman's analysis" yang though so there is a place for it.

EDIT: I guess a good question is, does anyone seriously believe they will lead the NBA in wins this season? This is a Rockets thread so it would require setting homerism aside, but it's a hard sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they stay healthy all year (probably wont) I would say they have a 30% chance to win the most games this year..take into fact mcgady's back and yao's absurd size I'd say there around 10%

but as i've been saying in every post... they're gonna make some moves midseason, and become the best team [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-30% comes from a tossup between them n the other three, not 25% because of the chance of injury for the other three teams

tuq 10-25-2007 02:08 PM

Artdogg,

Exactly. Never mind kidcolin anyway, he's a Hollinger nutrider. Just look at that gay avatar and Loc:.

kidcolin 10-25-2007 02:20 PM

tuq.. don't make me post in ATF complaining about you. Change it back!

Artdogg 10-25-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they stay healthy all year (probably wont) I would say they have a 30% chance to win the most games this year..take into fact mcgady's back and yao's absurd size I'd say there around 10%

but as i've been saying in every post... they're gonna make some moves midseason, and become the best team [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-30% comes from a tossup between them n the other three, not 25% because of the chance of injury for the other three teams

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in the games in which both Yao and Tmac played last year they still had a significally worst % than all 3 of the top teams. The Suns also had a rough start with Amare's health and a mid season Nash injury or they could have won a lot more games themselves. Same with the Mavs. The Spurs dumped off a lot of games at home to Eastern lottery teams for some reason. Once again the big addition here looks like it's Mike James, and he's not going to mold the Rockets from 4th to 1st (they could even be 5th, can't lose to an inferior Jazz team with homecourt.)