Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   TheKansas Jayhawks are a win away from bein the #1 team in the country (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553138)

Franchise 60 11-24-2007 01:30 AM

Re: TheKansas Jayhawks are a win away from bein the #1 team in the cou

[ QUOTE ]
George Mason in the final four?

stuff like this does happen ever so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

The power structure in College football is much much different than in Basketball.

88jayhawks 11-24-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The power structure in College football is much much different than in Basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true

KUJustin 11-24-2007 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I'm so stunned by some of the college basketball teams that manage to be terrible year-after-year.

I believe at one point KSU's consecutive losses to KU got up to 34. That's just mind-boggling. They currently haven't beaten us at their home in 24 years. Of course, it looks like even they will achieve some success this year, but it's just amazing how bad they were for 15+ years.

There are too many reasons to list, but it's just not that hard to be good from time to time. I think this is one of the reasons that most people can name 10-15 "great" all-time football programs, but the list for basketball drops off hard after 4 or 5. The fact that it's easy to have occasional success also means it's hard to maintain dominance over time.

suzzer99 11-24-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate to even mention this, but even if it's not Kansas it will be Missouri which is equally notable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which pretty much guarantees that OK will beat whomever wins. The KC general area hasn't been allowed to win anything since 1988. Coincidentally the year Shottenheimer arrived. No city that Marty ever coached in has ever won a national title at anything--during or after. I call it Shottenherimeritis. It also seems to fan out in about a 150 MPH radius. Roy Williams proved however, that it is possible to recover from Shottenheimeritis, given sufficient time away from the afflicted area.

BigPoppa 11-24-2007 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hate to even mention this, but even if it's not Kansas it will be Missouri which is equally notable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which pretty much guarantees that OK will beat whomever wins. The KC general area hasn't been allowed to win anything since 1988. Coincidentally the year Shottenheimer arrived. No city that Marty ever coached in has ever won a national title at anything--during or after. I call it Shottenherimeritis. It also seems to fan out in about a 150 MPH radius. Roy Williams proved however, that it is possible to recover from Shottenheimeritis, given sufficient time away from the afflicted area.

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains so much about the way the world works.......

MicroBob 11-24-2007 04:17 AM

If Mizzou wins and it's especially ugly while WV wins really impressively then it could end up being extremely close between those teams for #1.
I think Mizzou probably still would edge them out though.

Regardless, you now have the possibility of WV vs. KU or Mizzou in the title game if they win out. But that's hardly a guarantee for any of the 3.

Who goes if all 3 of those teams screw it up on the way?
OSU vs. who??

Jeremy517 11-24-2007 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who goes if all 3 of those teams screw it up on the way?
OSU vs. who??

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably LSU, if they win the SEC title game. If LSU loses also, then probably Georgia if they're the one to beat LSU, or Oklahoma if Georgia isn't the one to beat LSU.

KUJustin 11-24-2007 05:53 AM

I think you can't rule out a 12-1 Kansas team in that scenario with the other contenders having two losses. They'd probably be behind 2-loss LSU and a 2-loss OU team that just beat them though.

BowToYourSensei 11-24-2007 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can't rule out a 12-1 Kansas team in that scenario with the other contenders having two losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you can. they played 2 ranked teams all year and one of em was KSU at 24th in the country, and they wouldn't even be champions of their own division, let alone conference.

Shaqalicious 11-24-2007 07:57 AM

guys,

i dont even know how to put this

i've been a jayhawk basketball fan since i was a wee 2nd grader back in 1992.

my first basketball memories are of greg ostertag.

ive never really cared about college football.

but right now i am more of a nervous wreck than i have ever been before a KU basketball game.

even in 03 when we played syracuse for the national championship. even before maryland in in the 02 final four.

i cant believe my beloved jayhawks are playing for a unanimous #1 ranking in less than 14 hours.

playing for a chance at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

IS THIS EVEN REAL?????????

no matter what happens today... this proves to me that following sports is 100% worth it and anything can happen

just wow.. i'm speechless, i wish i could articulate to you guys what this season has been like.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK