Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Am I an Idiot? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398616)

GambleGamble 05-08-2007 08:34 PM

Am I an Idiot?

I currently hold/held a position (not sure of status yet) within my company where I am guaranteed to make X amount of dollars a year no matter how I perform etc...

...Ive recently become more and more disgruntled with some decisions the company has made etc, and there lack of loyalty to some fellow employees/friends...I also have become sick of the 60+ hour work weeks and having someone breathe over my shoulder all day long trying to tell me what to do and how to handle things even thought I have more experience than this person, and have spent considerable time training this person to get to there position...

...so today I finally got fed up and basically said [censored] you, I dont want my position anymore Ill step into a lesser role at 30-50k less a year but without the hassle....its not like I quit, Im just stepping out of management into a position in which I can come and go whenever I want but have to work a minimum of 32 hours a week, and if I work 40 hours Ill make the same salary but the extra compensation potential is no longer there but I can offset some of it by performing in my new position, but I won't be able to "guarantee" the same yearly amount..

...So am I an idiot for taking a lot less money but freeing up my time to basically do nothing but work out, watch TV and have fun?....I took a couple day leave after I told them I wanted out and they want an answer by Friday...

...and I know my grammar/punctuation sucks

cliff notes
Possibly stepped out of a position into a lesser hour lesser responsibility position but will be making 30-50k less but wont have to deal with retards.

Blarg 05-08-2007 08:36 PM

Re: Am I an Idiot?

Are you sure you won't have to deal with retards? This is near universal.

MegaloMialo 05-08-2007 08:36 PM

Make more money and be annoyed and pissed all the time or make a decent living and be happy and in peace?

snagglepuss 05-08-2007 08:37 PM

i value my time too highly to ever do anything i hate for a considerable amount of time, regardless of my hourly.

Blarg 05-08-2007 08:41 PM

60 hour work weeks aren't THAT bad, but if you're going to do it hating your job, it should be because you have a better job that is virtually certainly going to come out of it. Otherwise you'll just hate your life more every year.

In the meantime, don't blow your money. Save it up. The cushion you can get at 30k more per year will look very sweet when you're making 30k less.

SackUp 05-08-2007 08:42 PM

Will the new position actually be that much better. $30k-45k better?

How long can you stay in that position before being fired or needing to be promoted back to the same position?

Do you really want to stay at the lesser position forever?

Consider changing jobs entirely?

Case Closed 05-08-2007 08:43 PM

...yes

Blarg 05-08-2007 08:44 PM

Also, what happened to the alternative of keeping the big bucks by moving to another company? Staying at a company you don't like, with superiors you don't care for, seems like handling your options in a strange and strangely limiting way.

black_russian 05-08-2007 08:46 PM

Did you join the retards?

Ken_AA 05-08-2007 08:50 PM

this all depend son what X is.

If you went from 250K to 200K then you made a great decision.

If you went from 75K to 45K you probably made a mistake.

Remember it seems to me that every year you put in at +30K you are one year closer to being totally done with work.

Ken