Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   What does the donk minbet mean? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545756)

Jw513 11-14-2007 02:43 AM

What does the donk minbet mean?

So youre in position and youre the preflop raiser. The flop comes and villain donk minbets into you... wtf does that mean?
Its situational of course, but just looking for general answers.

apple11 11-14-2007 02:46 AM

Re: What does the donk minbet mean?

Mostly a draw or something relatively weak although some people do it with mosters. Ive been getting potted into a lot lately though when in position if anyone know's what that generally means let me know

Necromancer 11-14-2007 02:48 AM

Donk minbet is when the oop player bets into the pfr for the minimum amount.

EG 6 Handed:
UTG limps, you raise OTB with AK, UTG calls.
Flop comes down 25J and the original limper minbets.

That is a donk.

DLKeeper1 11-14-2007 02:53 AM

it's almost always someone trying to draw cheaply...punish them accordingly

AHMWM 11-14-2007 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's almost always someone trying to draw cheaply...punish them accordingly

[/ QUOTE ]

99% true.. but you will occasionally find people who do this with monsters ex.

You raise on the button with A9s after everyone folds.
Complete donk playing 65/5 calls in BB.
Flop:966

he bets .10
you raise to .50
he calls

turn:2

he bets .10
you raise to 1.25

river: Q

he bets out $5
you know he has the 6 and punch computer monitor accordingly

vixticator 11-14-2007 03:18 AM

It means press pot and bet, win. Raising ATC is +EV in my experience. If they call the raise, not very often, top pair weak kicker, middle pair, is standard and VERY rarely a monster. Beware if you raise and they mindonk again, do not raise this without a hand. Do not try to bluff the turn if you have nothing, if they call raise it means they will likely felt it. Value bet accordingly.

Prodigy54321 11-14-2007 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It means press pot and bet, win. Raising ATC is +EV in my experience. If they call the raise, not very often, top pair weak kicker, middle pair, is standard and VERY rarely a monster. Beware if you raise and they mindonk again, do not raise this without a hand. Do not try to bluff the turn if you have nothing, if they call raise it means they will likely felt it. Value bet accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been my experience as well

Aceium 11-14-2007 03:25 AM

In my experience, a lot of bad players will appear to be playing limit poker until they get to the river. They will only ever minraise or minbet. This lets you take hands like AK to the river very cheaply. I think the reason for this is that many bad players think that the time to make their "big move" is the river. My favorite play is this:

I raise PF with AK, a weak-tight BB calls.

Flop is nothing, BB minbets, I call.
Turn is nothing, BB minbets, I call.
River is nothhing, BB pots, I fold.

You get to see all 5 cards for less than what your c-bet would have been.

iheartponeez 11-14-2007 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, a lot of bad players will appear to be playing limit poker until they get to the river. They will only ever minraise or minbet. This lets you take hands like AK to the river very cheaply. I think the reason for this is that many bad players think that the time to make their "big move" is the river. My favorite play is this:

I raise PF with AK, a weak-tight BB calls.

Flop is nothing, BB minbets, I call.
Turn is nothing, BB minbets, I call.
River is nothhing, BB pots, I fold.

You get to see all 5 cards for less than what your c-bet would have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this because I call down to the river, and every time I fold my AK or 55 or something, I feel like they are cackling behind their monitor at the extra dollar they got out of me. Finally catching the winner on these is going to be so sweet.

vixticator 11-14-2007 03:37 AM

Aceium, I agree about the double mindonk bet crushing AK, etc. but you should definitely raise the first one. If they lead a second time for the minimum after calling a pot sized bet/raise, do not raise this without a hand good enough to felt. Call and try to improve.

On that 966 board you made up earlier, I think raising the turn is fine with A9 and TT+. When they bet larger, shove or overbet river it's a fold though. It's higher variance on a paired board. I don't see this kind of line taken by sets though. So, if it were 962 with A9 bombs away all three streets for value IMO.