Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   How to avoid burnout? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504555)

noles321 09-19-2007 12:03 PM

How to avoid burnout?

Just curious as to what other's do to avoid poker burnout? This month I have reduced my avg session length by %50 and mixed my play schedule up, playing at different times each day. Without, completly taking a vacation what do you do when you feel it is becoming tedious?

yourface 09-19-2007 12:33 PM

Re: How to avoid burnout?

try a new game

mntbikr15 09-19-2007 12:40 PM

Its all about balance. For me, that means riding a bunch, cooking nice dinners with my fiance, running with our Husky, working around the house, etc.

Gotta figure out what works for you.

Actually, one thing thats helped me alot this month....doing a few of her philosophy HW assignments....really reminds me what Im avoiding by playing cards.

Also, being reminded how unflexible a real job is.

I guess in short, do other [censored] and remind yourself how good of a deal poker really is.

veganmav 09-19-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its all about ba
I guess in short, do other [censored] and remind yourself how good of a deal poker really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

danzasmack 09-19-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its all about ba

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"THIS GUY NEXT TO ME I'M GONNA [censored] STAB HIM I'M SERIOUS

JAY YOU GONNA NEED TO WIN ANOTHER 500K TO BAIL ME OUT OF PRISON BECAUSE I'M GONNA KILL HIM

PREPARE FOR THE ESCAPE PLAN"

"today i was on the phone and the guy next to me started holding up a newspaper in my face and reading it outloud this is true"

"HOLIDAY PARTY AT WORK

IM GONNA GET WASTED AND MAKE OUT WITH THE GUY NEXT TO ME

MY GOD IM SO SAD"

"GUY NEXT TO ME IS OUT COLD ASLEEP

HEAD BOBBLIN AND EVERYTHING"

"NOW HE IS SPEAKING IN HIS NATIVE LANGUAGE

NOT A BIG DEAL RIGHT?

[censored] THIS [censored] THIASF;JNAS
IM GONNA KILL HIM
UIM GONNA STAB HIM IN THE CHEST AND THE [censored] IN THE HOLE THAT I MAKE IN HIS CHEST

AT WORK, YOU HAVE TO BE QUIET WHEN YOU MAKE A PERSONAL CALL, BECAUSE IT'S PERSONAL BUT WHEN NOBODY KNOWS WHT YOU'RE SYAING YOU CAN BE AS LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDD AS YOU [censored] WANT

YES

THIS IS ME
TAKING AN EARLY LUNCH

IF IM NOT HOME FROM WORK BY 6:00

AND I MEAN THIS

IT MEANS IM NEVER CMING BACK"

Those are direct quotes from emails from me to krantz while i'm at work. poker is a good thing.

dangerfish 09-19-2007 03:06 PM

If your in it for the long haul no way to avoid periods of low motivation. I agree with mntbkr in that keeping a healthy lifestyle outside poker is key. I think this is the best way to reduce burnout but there is really no way to completely prevent it imo. So just pace yourself and take break when needed. Poker can be a great job or a nightmare depends on whether you own it or it owns you.

Heisenb3rg 09-19-2007 03:59 PM

Watch rounders/high stakes poker/cincinnati kid

and read ace on the river

mntbikr15 09-19-2007 04:06 PM

I think one key is to keep enough stashed away that you CAN comfortably take a few days/a wk/a month or whatever off when you just plain dont feel like playing. Ive never done this very wel before but its something Ive finally started working towards since I havent been blowing my roll in nosebleed games.

JacksonTens 09-20-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your in it for the long haul no way to avoid periods of low motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang on! Is long haul 20 hrs a week tho? Or am i just lazy?

JT

emerson 09-20-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your in it for the long haul no way to avoid periods of low motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang on! Is long haul 20 hrs a week tho? Or am i just lazy?

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

20 hours a week isn't much. You're lazy.