Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   When Do You Just Stick Around after Missing the Flop? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387286)

csquard 04-24-2007 04:28 PM

When Do You Just Stick Around after Missing the Flop?

This initial raiser was a bit of a loose cannon (37/17). I normally don't call the pre-flop raise with A-10 there but erred toward my play-a-hand-that-will-get-me-in-trouble strategy. Then seven people join me. Then I have to call all these callers after the flop. What action would get you out of there on the turn if any? Btw, I think my river check/raise is moronic on my part...

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Clover362 04-24-2007 04:41 PM

Re: When Do You Just Stick Around after Missing the Flop?

I think raising the turn with the nut flush and gutshot draw would have been super sexy

Mr. Orange 04-24-2007 04:58 PM

Preflop- Usually I fold this. Against this opponent I'd make it 3bets to try and isolate him.

flop- OK.

Turn- I like a raise. You have a pretty big draw here.

River- Just lead out.

Harv72b 04-24-2007 06:15 PM

Yeah, this is 3bet or fold territory preflop, and even against a 37/17 I'd generally just fold it. Your hand isn't that strong &amp; there are a lot of players left to act who could wake up with a stronger one. The one exception might be if I had been playing tighter than a gnat's bunghole &amp; felt the 3bet would get rid of anything less than JJ/AK.

As far as the turn goes, I like the way you played it. Yeah, you picked up a bunch of outs, but you don't know if MP2 has the flush already (cutting out 5 of your outs if you're counting the gutshot), nor can you be sure he won't 3bet &amp; get rid of your customers. Even in a perfect world where all your outs are live (to the flush and the straight), getting in another round of bets is only slightly +EV.

You pretty much have to donk the river--you got insanely lucky not only that Button tried to steal the pot, but also that UTG decided to call twice.

FatedEquity 04-24-2007 07:59 PM

I'll 3-bet here with AT preflop. Cold-calling encourages multiway action; I'd rather try to isolate. The drawback is that you are in a rather early position, so I don't have much of a problem with folding.

The rest of the hand I think is fine, though you have to bet out on the river as it is a card that will encourage many of your opponents' weaker hands to just check behind. There is also a lower chance that your check-raise will be called, so you may end up making just one bet on the river anyway.