Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Tough spot w/AQs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487673)

chesspain 08-27-2007 06:21 PM

Tough spot w/AQs

Online 3-6, full table...LMP is fairly new to the table and unknown to me. BB seems like your typical gambooling idiot.

Preflop: chesspain is in CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Folded to LMP who raises, 1 fold, chesspain reraises, folded to BB who calls two more, LMP calls.

Flop (6 SB): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, LMP bets, chesspain raises, BB coldcalls, LMP calls.

Turn (6 BB): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, LMP bets, chesspain...

1) Folds?
2) Calls?
3) Raises, and puts no more money into this pot?
4) Raises, and potentially calls one more bet on a non-scary river?

Scarmiglio 08-27-2007 06:45 PM

Re: Tough spot w/AQs

I think #4 is the way to go here. Would villain really play AK this passively preflop and on the flop or KK this passively preflop? His hand looks more like AT - AJ or maybe AQ. The bet on the turn is scary, but if he really hit 2-pair or a set on the turn wouldn't he try for a c/r to maximize his hand value? If he hit big on the flop why wouldn't he 3 bet? Both you and the BB are calling another bet there no matter what.

BigBadBabar 08-27-2007 07:13 PM

ugh i don't like a raise much. i call.

Fnord 08-27-2007 07:20 PM

AJ/AT no good, AQ splits, AK runs other lines sometimes, raise.

Scarmiglio 08-27-2007 07:20 PM

why?

somapopper 08-27-2007 07:27 PM

If it was headsup I'd call down, but with BB in there on an obvious draw, I'm going with option 4.

You've got no read, and his line isn't credible for any hand so I'm not inclined to suspect we're beat yet.

Since he's at least been there a couple hands we can be fairly sure he's not a maniac and feel OK about folding to the 3 bet, which costs the same number of chips as going into call down mode, and if you're beat you're usually drawing dead anyway so we don't even need to see the river.

James. 08-27-2007 07:32 PM

nice decision point.

calling would be the prudent choice.

Xhad 08-27-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would villain really play AK this passively preflop and on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

This line isn't that unusual with AK. Not correct, but not unusual either.

Scarmiglio 08-27-2007 08:25 PM

I thought that online 3/6 players were far more agressive than that.

Mike Cuneo 08-27-2007 08:39 PM

Does anyone else just call this flop? This way if we are against A7, A8, 77, 88, KK, AK (whatever hits the turn, this logic holds) we can save money by raising the turn and folding to a 3 bet (with the 3 bet clearly defining we are beat on the turn). Also if it checks to us on the turn we bet and then can possibly calldown from there on a safe river.

Also if villian has a hand we beat, which I think is unlikely unless it's some sort of draw, this lets us win the most and lose the least. I would play this a bit defensively, it seems like there aren't a lot of hands calling us down that we beat, and it leaves us in the spot of either paying a lot to see showdown or folding the winner sometimes. I want to see a showdown here, and I do so as cheaply as possible with 2 opponents and that board, plus the fact that 3 bets went in preflop.

As played I would just call the turn and call again on the river unless it's 2 bets to me.