Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AA vs. caller (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299166)

Absolution 01-05-2007 12:16 PM

AA vs. caller

Button in this hand is LPA. He likes to limp and cold call a lot preflop with suited connectors and probably only raises his premium hands. These are the type of players who overvalue implied odds. He will get tricky postflop and has raised a ragged board in the past and I folded. I don't use PT, but I estimate him to be around 40/8/1.5. I think I got too fancy in this hand:

.5/1 short handed

Dealt to hero A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises.
Folded to button who calls.
Blinds fold.

Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5 SB)

Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

I called here expecting to raise any safe turn card and get more out of him since I expect him to be raising a large range here.

Turn is 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.75 BB)

Hero checks, Button raises, Hero raises, Button raises, Hero...

Well that didn't go to plan. Now I'm lost and it doesn't look good. I probably have to call at least though because he could just have 2 pair.

unterfish 01-05-2007 12:42 PM

Re: AA vs. caller

[ QUOTE ]

I called here expecting to raise any safe turn card and get more out of him since I expect him to be raising a large range here.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to be sound strategy. I usually 3-pop it on the flop. Is the above line better?
Anyway, as you played it, I would call down from the turn on. Villains in 6max games, especially aggressive ones like to get fancy with air sometimes.

Befolder 01-05-2007 12:47 PM

GRUNCH

Accoring to your read, you think he may have hit this flop (probably a draw).

Against a loose aggressive player, it's a mistake to get fancy in my opinion. They're going to give us the max amount of money usually anyway because they like raising.

So I 3 bet the flop, lead the turn and call a raise.

jrz1972 01-05-2007 12:48 PM

I don't see a big problem with this hand. I normally 3-bet the flop and lead the turn, but I use your line from time to time as well, and it's probably only a 1 sb difference on this hand.

I think you're pretty much committed to showing this down.

davelin 01-05-2007 12:49 PM

I think your line is fine here if you believe Villain with c-bet the turn with most of his holdings. 3-betting the flop and leading the turn is perfectly acceptable as well.

I don't see what else you can do but call down from here on out.

ninenine_zoe 01-05-2007 12:51 PM

your line is good when you know he will bet the turn no matter what. since the flop is very drawy and he could have any kind of a draw like OESD, FD or 1 pair+gutshot, i would prefer a flop 3-bet (you are out of position) and i would just calldown when facing more resistance.
im calling the turn 3bet and showing down.

jrz1972 01-05-2007 12:54 PM

Since everybody is focusing on the choice between Absolution's line and the "3-bet the flop and lead the turn" line, it's worth noting that this is the sort of villain you should strongly consider using Absolution's line against. LAG's will rarely take a free card on the turn after you slow down on the flop, so going for a c/r is partilarly reasonable in this case. I'd be a lot less inclined to do this against a villain who was more thoughtful postflop.

Absolution 01-05-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since everybody is focusing on the choice between Absolution's line and the "3-bet the flop and lead the turn" line, it's worth noting that this is the sort of villain you should strongly consider using Absolution's line against. LAG's will rarely take a free card on the turn after you slow down on the flop, so going for a c/r is partilarly reasonable in this case. I'd be a lot less inclined to do this against a villain who was more thoughtful postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking basically. This guy likes to try and push me off hands postflop, which is why he calls a lot preflop. When you peel the flop against these guys they think you will fold the turn when they continue. The only downside is that I might lose him if a scare card comes on the turn. I use this line against the guys that always raise their small pp on ragged flops as well. I think the key against these players is to play lower variance by checking and calling a lot when they show aggression so that they never get the implied odds they are looking for.

TomTom 01-05-2007 12:58 PM

I've seen plays like this with little pairs when crap flops and they have me on unimproved overs. If I 3-bet or cap the flop I get them to fold, if I call they'll bet the turn 100% and let me re-raise. That usually shuts them down unless they have a real hand (2 pair or a set).

Given your read of post flop aggressive I'd have hold my nose and call this down.

unterfish 01-05-2007 01:06 PM

Well. What is your line then?
3-betting flop or check-raising turn?