Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=154546)

Mark1808 07-05-2006 01:31 PM

Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP

I found it funny that Negreanu was ragging Matusow for playing on borrrowed money and then asks Laak for $100,000 loan as he is leaving.

I know the logistics of carrying large amounts of cash around are tough but if Negreanu is going to play every hand, call every raise and look everyone up shouldn't he be prepared to get more cash? How about giving Laak a check? How about carrying around a handful of cranberries (Bellagio $25,000 chips). I'm sure I don't understand how the big boys work, but I would never borrow money to play poker.

heater 07-05-2006 01:42 PM

Re: Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I don't understand how the big boys work, but I would never borrow money to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

LasVegasMichael 07-05-2006 01:51 PM

Big Difference between DN and MM. DN was not being hypocritical. MM did not have the money for the buy in, so he had to be staked (at least that is what DN was inferring), whereas DN just didn't have the extra rebuy on him at the time (but he actually has the money). A loan on the fly is completely different then staking a player for a game, in my opinion.

Mark1808 07-05-2006 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I don't understand how the big boys work, but I would never borrow money to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize its standard becauuse Buss borrowed $50,000 from Negreanu, but as a business man it seems like you should bring the amount of cash you are prepared to lose.

Rottersod 07-05-2006 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize its standard becauuse Buss borrowed $50,000 from Negreanu, but as a business man it seems like you should bring the amount of cash you are prepared to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Maybe DN lost a couple hundred thou at a side game before taping and didn't want to leave the table to get more cash? Don't forget that this show really took place in long sessions over 2 days. It's not like they played a few hours, went home, and came back again day after day.

Mark1808 07-05-2006 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Maybe DN lost a couple hundred thou at a side game before taping and didn't want to leave the table to get more cash? Don't forget that this show really took place in long sessions over 2 days. It's not like they played a few hours, went home, and came back again day after day.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the loose system of loans is there is downside with no real upside. What if you loan someone money and they suddenly die before you get paid back? There is no signed note and many cases their may not even be witnesses. Plus, sometimes a guy will get paid back but it may take much longer and their doesn't seem to be any compensation for the time value of money. Gus Hansen?

heater 07-05-2006 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the loose system of loans is there is downside with no real upside. What if you loan someone money and they suddenly die before you get paid back? There is no signed note and many cases their may not even be witnesses. Plus, sometimes a guy will get paid back but it may take much longer and their doesn't seem to be any compensation for the time value of money. Gus Hansen?

[/ QUOTE ]

So they're on the honor system. Big deal. 100k isn't going to break Laak or DN.

Mark1808 07-05-2006 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, although I have never seen any of these players financial statements, and I suspect you haven't either. But these are the same guys (according to dealers) that are notoriously cheap tippers as well. An extra tip won't hurt them either, right?

I believe the logistics of having large amounts of cash available makes the short term loans a neccesity. It just seems if you were prepared you would either wire a large amount of money to the Palms ahead of time to your account or have a credit line open with them so you wouldn't have to borrow from other players.

I don't think anyone really knows anyone else's financial situation and it would make me leary to loan money even though as you correctly point out it is completely standard in this game and no big deal. I guess this is one of the many differances between my thinking and that of a world class poker player.

heater 07-05-2006 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, although I have never seen any of these players financial statements, and I suspect you haven't either. But these are the same guys (according to dealers) that are notoriously cheap tippers as well. An extra tip won't hurt them either, right?

I believe the logistics of having large amounts of cash available makes the short term loans a neccesity. It just seems if you were prepared you would either wire a large amount of money to the Palms ahead of time to your account or have a credit line open with them so you wouldn't have to borrow from other players.

I don't think anyone really knows anyone else's financial situation and it would make me leary to loan money even though as you correctly point out it is completely standard in this game and no big deal. I guess this is one of the many differances between my thinking and that of a world class poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not going to loan the money to just anybody. For a winning poker player who plays that high, their reputation and the ability to stay liquid is worth much more than 100k.

If you stiff somebody on a l00k marker, I'm sure you'll never get another one from anybody. Word gets around and somebody like that would get weeded out very quickly.

freekobe 07-05-2006 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I'll say what everyone else was thinking. You're an idiot.