Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   November Low-Content Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536645)

brick 11-05-2007 02:43 AM

Re: November Low-Content Thread

Next time chime in with some constructive feedback and I'll remember you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Howard Beale 11-05-2007 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bah, guess im forgettable, or else it wasn't nice meeting me. Just had a very very good turn of events the last 2 days. I was drinking heavily and watching the ASU game yesterday, and had 5k in my wallet all ready to burn it in a 40/80 or 60/120 game, but didn't get a ride, and passed out instead. Then I won about 60bbs in a 20/40 game today in 10 hours...and played AA amazingly against Howard, although he doesn't like my 'change up' play. Maybe he will think twice when value betting next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being shown those Aces was a big WTF!?! moment for me. I prolly wouldn't have paid a river c/r but, still,.......

60bbs! Nice. I only won a rack but I'm on a steady, daily grind at least.

that_pope 11-05-2007 03:47 AM

Yeah, I

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 09:48 AM

=/ poker, was +7 like first 2 days this weekend then somehow got trainwrecked with the coup de grace being a small 6k loss in 150 and 2/4 mix that was like 16k at one point. i continue to never receive a winning hand in 1/2 holdem, i thought i had fixed that by running good at mixed games but i forgot that as soon as the game gets above a certain size i just magically never win any hands

also turns out that roc's a scumbag which is surprising since he always seemed like a good guy to me

bugstud 11-05-2007 10:13 AM

details?

that_pope 11-05-2007 10:50 AM

Bah, having connection problems....here is what my last post was supposed to say:

Yeah, I was playing well, and ran very well with my hands, and I wasn't even getting out of line preflop or postflop like I had been. On that aces hand, my plan on the turn was a river check raise, but I froze, didn't think I would get paid off, and didn't really want to puke if you threebet, so I wussed out. Same result as if I bet/bet/bet, which is what I do against non thinking players.

I was definately on top of my game, and would have paid off a lot more when I shouldn't have. For example, I get QT in BB, the guy in seat 6 limps in EP, SB calls, I call. Flop comes AQT, check, check, and he checks. I instantly start to dislike my hand more then if he bet. Turn comes a 2, no flushes, not that he would raise on a flush draw. Check, I bet, he raises, SB folds, I fold face up, pot was way too small to call down and get shown down the KJ that he has waaay too often.

Another time our big complainer in the 1 seat had been complaining all day about how I couldn't miss. I wasn't needing to bluff at all because I was hitting hands when I had them, and getting paid off. But I picked up a flush draw on the turn, and there was also a flush draw on the flop, so I am like sweet, I have about half the deck to win. So my non flush flush comes in, and he checks, I bet, he started muttering about standard, and how I haven't missed a hand all day, and he calls. Boooooooo.

But I had a bit of a downturn and even in my mind mentally listed the amount in my bankroll that if I hit it, it was back down to 8/16, but now those thoughts are out of my mind for a bit!

P.S. How was Denny's?

surfdoc 11-05-2007 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also turns out that roc's a scumbag which is surprising since he always seemed like a good guy to me

[/ QUOTE ]

No teasing. Ship the full story please.

Howard Beale 11-05-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On that aces hand, my plan on the turn was a river check raise, but I froze, didn't think I would get paid off, and didn't really want to puke if you threebet, so I wussed out. Same result as if I bet/bet/bet, which is what I do against non thinking players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet,bet/bet makes you less, actually. I fold the turn UI. But you take a chance that I check behind on the turn which I probably should've done considering that it was you and then I can a free card to beat you. Anyway, I felt like a shnook that hand after I dusted-off those chips w/ 'only' TPTK and I find that I've got to say 'sorry' again for my outburst. (For those who may be wondering I shouted 'What's the matter with you?' because he didn't c/r the river on me).

[ QUOTE ]
Another time our big complainer in the 1 seat had been complaining all day about how I couldn't miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is almost nobody who I don't like or at least can't put up with or begrudge but I've been playing against that guy for something like 8 years and I don't think I've talked to him for 1 hour total over all that time. He's a solid pro player who's made a lot of money in that game and he can't stand to take a loss. It looks like he's on a significant downswing over the past month or 2 and it's making him worse in the whining department. Which I'm enjoying because he's always so smug and superior when he wins. This is probably small of me but I can't help it.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. How was Denny's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same old, same old. But mom says no more Denny's after 10pm because she's tired the next day so there is that.

And remember me bragging that I was beating online 3-6 6-max for a $100/hour? Well, it's down to $20/hr now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 01:53 PM

And by "scumbag," I mean "hey he's all right I guess haha."

stinkypete 11-05-2007 02:07 PM

they would love this stuff in nvg :P

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 02:11 PM

ya theyre not getting it, if anyone calls me and says anything about that post to me i'm gonna ask private joker to delete it but i'm hoping the super abridged version is okay

DcifrThs 11-05-2007 04:04 PM

Thanks for sharing, too bad nobody else gets to read it haha pwned.

Barron

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 04:09 PM

sucks that he prob lost the 25k playing 5/10 at commerce after he quit us so i have to wait for him to run like god playing smaller again to win it back in a mixed game.

ProfessorBen 11-05-2007 04:26 PM

BUT HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 04:34 PM

like 3k i think but now this is turning back into summer all over again where i'm up like 15k maybe since school started over a period where i should be up much more against players that are even worse than the ones i played with over summer (a very tough feat). apparently i'm just going to break even for the rest of my life spending half my time in 9 handed lhe games against people playing 50% of their hands and the other half in shorthanded mixed games against people that barely understand the rules/mechanics of any of the games. i mean i'm sure at some point the time will come when i am the lucky recipient of actually running well over more than a 45 minute period at the right time in a bigger game but its just like wow frustrating beyond belief because there's nothing i can do about it.

MitchL 11-05-2007 04:49 PM

I think the remedy is too quit live poker and just play online. Its hard becuase the games are so much better live, but imo that makes it that much more frustrating to run bad in.

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 05:06 PM

I'd rather slit my wrists and jump into the shark exhibit at Sea World when I'm in San Diego for Thanksgiving than play predominantly online.

Here's a bonus hand I played yesterday, I honestly have no clue if it was 150/3 or 2/4.

Omaha 8 4 handed Hassan Habib opens CO and he has played like the last 6 hands for a raise so I've had more than enough of this [censored] so I 3bet K256ds clubs/some other suit otb, fold to him because everyone knows that I play tighter in this game than any other game probably, he calls. Flop A4T two clubs he c/r I 3bet he 4bet I call. Turn 8 he bets I raise he 3bet I 4bet he 5bet I call, river K he bets I call, he has AA36 I stare at how badly I was outplayed and wonder aloud how I miss the freeroll of 5000 outs before he informs me if the 2 that isn't a club had come he would have scooped. I could reply with nothing other than "you're right, I got lucky"

nineinchal 11-05-2007 05:13 PM

I would suggest reading "Gambling Theory and Other Topics" by Mason Malmuth.

It helped me understand how the streaks and cold spells work in practice.I came to understand that I would have to endure cold spells of long duration, as well as many periods of going nowhere, besides those on fire winning streaks.

In the end, according to Malmuth, playing limit, my overall expectation would approximate 1 big bet an hour, somewhat less, somewhat more in certain games, against certain opponents. However, I had to accept the fact that would in fact, be my total expectation, if I play limit. When I realized this fact for myself, I was able to put my poker game in perspective.

I choose to work my day job, and enjoy poker as a sideline on the weekends, if I wanted to maintain a very generous standard of living.

brick 11-05-2007 05:50 PM

The interesting part about playing as a hobby is that then it may take years to really overcome the long swings you talk about. In my graph above I broke even for almost a year.

nineinchal 11-05-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The interesting part about playing as a hobby is that then it may take years to really overcome the long swings you talk about. In my graph above I broke even for almost a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but when I win 5,000 big bets a year working, losing poker streaks are not really a problem.

bugstud 11-05-2007 06:18 PM

just do the mike l. play medium stakes, stake ppl that run good to play pretty high, lather rinse repeat.

or just tell me when to go to the bike with like 30k and make a run at it.

HOWMANY 11-05-2007 06:32 PM

yesterday

brick 11-05-2007 07:42 PM

online poker is a different beast

stinkypete 11-05-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the remedy is too quit live poker and just play online. Its hard becuase the games are so much better live, but imo that makes it that much more frustrating to run bad in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're onto something here. maybe you should write a book. you can call it "PLAY IN BAD GAMES BECAUSE RUNNING BAD IN GOOD GAMES SUCKS".

ShawnHoo 11-05-2007 07:56 PM

Two gems I had recently (live games in SoCal):

1. I raise UTG+1 and get called by the blinds. (My hand isn't particularly important to the story.)

Flop: 5s4s2s

SB bets, BB calls, I raise, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 9d

Check, check, bet, call, call.

River: As

SB bets, BB mucks 44 face up. I fold, SB shows Ah3s.

2. Folded to me OTB, I raise with QQ. Both blinds call.

Flop: Tc4h4d

Check, check, I bet, BB calls.

Turn: 5c

Check, bet, call.

River: 2s

BB bets. I am 100% sure he wouldn't play a 4 this way, so I raise. He quickly calls and looks confused as he tables Ac3c for the straight.

While I realize that I truly suck at poker compared to the better players on this board, it comforts me to know that there are others around who will help ensure that I still won't have to work anymore.

MitchL 11-05-2007 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're onto something here. maybe you should write a book. you can call it "PLAY IN BAD GAMES BECAUSE RUNNING BAD IN GOOD GAMES SUCKS".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats simplifying things a bit. I dont think its possible make the same amount of money playing 1 table of 30/60 in MN
as playing 3 tables of 10/20 with fpps(bonuses). It would be different if I lived in Cali and could progress high enough for it to be worth playing live.

MitchL 11-05-2007 08:15 PM

If I were to write a book, it would be called "Play in worse sh online games, bc running bad in live fr games for 6 months is worse than waterboarding."

quant_trader 11-05-2007 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Working sucks. I've been stuck at my day job for 6 days/wk and up to 11 hrs/day. This means 2 trips to Commerce in the past 3 weeks.

Now that writers are on strike, does that you we will see more of you at Commerce for the next 5 months?? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

private joker 11-05-2007 09:16 PM

Luckily, reality writers are not part of the Guild, so I am still working.

I'm writing the questions for a game show, actually, and it's super fun and I can't wait til it airs (on ABC in December) so I can share my genius with 2+2. Also I am not officially a "writer." I am credited as "Game Producer" on this show.

Oh, and what do you mean "we see more of you at Commerce?" Who are you? Do we know each other and you're holding out on me?

Sailboats 11-05-2007 09:33 PM

you have alot of stalkers PJ, or is it fans because youre famous?

private joker 11-05-2007 09:47 PM

It's a fine line. *sigh* [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

nineinchal 11-05-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm writing the questions for a game show, actually, and it's super fun and I can't wait til it airs (on ABC in December) so I can share my genius with 2+2. Also I am not officially a "writer." I am credited as "Game Producer" on this show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the name of this show "Medium Stakes Limit Holdem Tactictal Play?"

private joker 11-05-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's "Are You Smarter Than a Tourney Donk?"

SNOWBALL 11-05-2007 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have alot of stalkers PJ, or is it fans because youre famous?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm PJ's least successful stalker, b/c I always check for him, but I've only seen him once!

private joker 11-05-2007 11:37 PM

This means I am successfully achieving my goal of making it look like I play a lot of poker when actually it's a weekend hobby to distract from a full time Hollywood gig.

ProfessorBen 11-06-2007 12:02 AM

Going to be in Vegas on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Dates along the lines of Saturday, Nov. 17th to Wednesday, Nov. 21st.

I'm probably going to hang out/club with friends the first few days but I'm going to degen and grind some sessions after they leave. I'd be interested in sharing rooms for the latter days and meeting some 2ers during those few days. PM and let me know.

HOWMANY 11-06-2007 12:22 AM

where do they find these guys? it's like a [censored] walking furnace but there's a fire truck that hoses him off right before he can complete project code name incineration

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (8.67 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (6.33 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (8.33 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (10.33 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (12.33 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $740 | Rake $2

Seat 5: [5c Ac 4d Ks 7s Td 3s] (HI: high card Ace; LO: 7,5,4,3,A)

Hero: [Qd Qh 5s Ah Jc 3h 6s] (HI: a pair of Queens)

</font>

nineinchal 11-06-2007 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's "Are You Smarter Than a Tourney Donk?"

[/ QUOTE ]

If its along the lines of "Are you smarter than a fifth grader" sounds like it will be cancelled by the third show.

Couldn't you get a job on a show that was more American Idolish? You could be the next Ryan Seacrest by strumming your eukelele.

DcifrThs 11-06-2007 08:40 AM

HOWMANY,

you went up against a guy w/ a great low draw who pumped it (w/ overs to your likely pair). i admit if i were him and i'd gotten to 6th the way he did i'd check for the free card.

oh well, but this isn't that bad of a beat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Barron

GuyOnTilt 11-06-2007 08:40 AM

Thank god November is here.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3960/nov5hs7.jpg