Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Quick Saber question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370383)

RunDownHouse 04-02-2007 04:05 PM

Quick Saber question

So during the Yankees-DR game just now, they showed BA/HR/RBI stats for Giambi with RISP. Does that really matter? Do any players really have statistically significant variations in stats with RISP? Or is this exactly the same as the "clutch hitting" debate, which, to my understanding, is pretty much considered a fable by Sabermetrics guys?

Jack of Arcades 04-02-2007 04:11 PM

Re: Quick Saber question

There is likely to be SOME significance, but not much. There may be reasons for why some players hit better in RISP that isn't due to clutch - they hit better off of pitchers in the stretch or they hit very well against "bad" pitchers, etc.

Think of David Ortiz. Is there any reasons, other than clutch ability, he might perform so well in close and late situations? Ortiz is a LH fastball hitter, and most closers are hard-throwing righties.

RunDownHouse 04-02-2007 04:20 PM

Right, I thought about that, and also something like, if there's a RSIP, then the pitchers can't throw from the stretch, so maybe that changes things.

Still, good to be a little more informed on how big of a deal it is.

As an aside, I thought about signing up for a month of BP just to get their article on playors in the minors to watch. The reason I haven't yet is that Nashville's team is the Pirate's club, and I don't know if the Pirates are worth the $5. Sad.

Eagles 04-02-2007 04:21 PM

RDH,
Sabermetrics guys don't consider clutch hitting to be a fable. But what they say is that there are so few "clutch" spots so there is never a big enough sample to give an accurate measure of "clutchness". As well "clutchness" is often related to only one play. To give an example

Bill Buckner = choke artist
Joe carter = clutch

hedxcold 04-02-2007 04:24 PM

i guess this is a good place to ask this question.

for vorp, do they compare center fielders to other center fielders? and right fielders to other right fielders? or is it all outfielders?

i figured it was center fielders to center fielders, but want to be sure

THAY3R 04-02-2007 04:29 PM

Also, many players will have high "Bases Loaded" averages because many of their would be outs will now be sacrifices.

Pudge714 04-02-2007 04:29 PM

RDH,
Batting average with RISP is often inflated because a sacrifice fly is just a routine flyout with no RISP.

THAY3R 04-02-2007 04:31 PM

I beat ya, na na na na boo boo

zer0 04-02-2007 04:31 PM

the problem, i imagine (i'm not going to actually check my assumption), is that from year to year there will be a lot of variation because of small samples, but over the long haul, the numbers will be comparable to regular numbers (except, of course, rbi's)