Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   November Low-Content Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536645)

3rdCheckRaise 11-06-2007 10:28 AM

Re: November Low-Content Thread

Considering that hero is showing 65 low that bet on the 6st is pretty terrible.

sternroolz 11-06-2007 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going to be in Vegas on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Dates along the lines of Saturday, Nov. 17th to Wednesday, Nov. 21st.

I'm probably going to hang out/club with friends the first few days but I'm going to degen and grind some sessions after they leave. I'd be interested in sharing rooms for the latter days and meeting some 2ers during those few days. PM and let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those weekdays are hella cheap...cheaper than any other time of the year. You probably don't need to share rooms.

The Dude 11-06-2007 11:26 AM

GoT,

Can I have $20?

stinkypete 11-06-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank god November is here.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3960/nov5hs7.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

woohooo!

can i have $20 too?

Six_of_One 11-06-2007 01:50 PM

I played a hand so badly last night in the 15/30 at Hollywood Park that I'm going to post it, in the hopes that the shame will help me avoid doing it again in the future.

It was a fantastic game, everyone having a good time, all kinds of crazy suckouts happening. Villain in the hand is on my right, a very nice British guy who will play any two cards. He tends to raise with good hands (he's been showing me his hands all night when I'm not in the pot), but sometimes raises with crap too (beat me earlier when he capped with 35s and rivered two pair).

A bunch of limpers, and Villain raises from the SB. In the BB, I call with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Okay, I probably should have folded, but that's not the part I'm concerned about.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] One other player calls, everyone else folds.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (not sure about this card, but I know it was a club, and not a face card).

SB bets, I call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], the other player calls too.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The other guy folds, SB turns over KJo, and I win the pot. To say I was embarrassed to show the hand would be an understatement.

sternroolz 11-06-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played a hand so badly last night in the 15/30 at Hollywood Park that I'm going to post it, in the hopes that the shame will help me avoid doing it again in the future.

It was a fantastic game, everyone having a good time, all kinds of crazy suckouts happening. Villain in the hand is on my right, a very nice British guy who will play any two cards. He tends to raise with good hands (he's been showing me his hands all night when I'm not in the pot), but sometimes raises with crap too (beat me earlier when he capped with 35s and rivered two pair).

A bunch of limpers, and Villain raises from the SB. In the BB, I call with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Okay, I probably should have folded, but that's not the part I'm concerned about.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] One other player calls, everyone else folds.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (not sure about this card, but I know it was a club, and not a face card).

SB bets, I call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], the other player calls too.

SB bets, I call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The other guy folds, SB turns over KJo, and I win the pot. To say I was embarrassed to show the hand would be an understatement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside of calling pf, calling on the flop, calling on the turn, and calling on the river, I'm not sure you did anything wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

that_pope 11-06-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside of calling pf, calling on the flop, calling on the turn, and calling on the river, I'm not sure you did anything wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop and flop fit in fine with my looseness from the blinds fever. Turn is where it is questionable, because are you playing for a flush or what here. River isn't horrible, because would a worse hand really pay off a raise?

So I really only hate the turn.

Six_of_One 11-06-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop and flop fit in fine with my looseness from the blinds fever. Turn is where it is questionable, because are you playing for a flush or what here. River isn't horrible, because would a worse hand really pay off a raise?

So I really only hate the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect I was calling the turn hoping that my monster flush draw would come through, but I'm not entirely clear what exactly I was thinking.

I wish I had raised the river...not for value, but to avoid having to show my hand.

Oh well, life goes on. Imagine how I'd feel if I had played as badly and NOT ended up winning the pot.

tessarji 11-06-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wish I had raised the river...not for value, but to avoid having to show my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would have been the worst mistake of all.

Show your hand, say 'Man I put you on pocket kings, whew', and rake in the pot while staring blankly.

ggbman 11-06-2007 03:57 PM

I'm running well in november so far, might not have to try and play 70,000 hands while in school like last month! Hope it continues, it would be nice to close out this year pretty well. I finally have some money in pokerstars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SNOWBALL 11-06-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah folds preflop.

You played your AA hand worse at the must move. Either CR turn or 3 bet the flop. Your hand is obv good against that mexican guy. That was LOL funny when he raised your turn donk and then checks behind on the river when he makes top 2 pair with KQo
The suckout was brutal, but really you should kiss him on the mouth for giving you a free showdown
<3 hollywood park

Six_of_One 11-06-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah folds preflop.

You played your AA hand worse at the must move. Either CR turn or 3 bet the flop. Your hand is obv good against that mexican guy. That was LOL funny when he raised your turn donk and then checks behind on the river when he makes top 2 pair with KQo
The suckout was brutal, but really you should kiss him on the mouth for giving you a free showdown
<3 hollywood park

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're thinking of someone else, because I didn't play in the must move game last night...at the time I got seated (finally, after waiting >1.5 hours) there was only one game. I'm also assuming I'd remember if I lost with aces like that, though I don't take anything for granted these days.

Did you play in the main game though? I was in the 9 seat from 8:30 to 12:30 or so.

offTopic 11-06-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're thinking of someone else, because I didn't play in the must move game last night...

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got you confused with the poster "Half Dozen of the Other"...natural mistake, IMO

HOWMANY 11-06-2007 07:35 PM

I just remembered a really sick hand from Sunday.

150/300 Stud hilo regular (no qualifier for low), mike the jeweler limps with like a 4 in the door, I complete (AA)4, george calls with an 8. 4th i catch an A mike gets a T george gets a 5, I bet both call, 5th mike has 4T4, george is like 855 and I'm A4J, I bet, george raise mike call, I 3bet both call, 6th george is 855K, mike is 4T4paint and I'm A4J2 I bet they both call

river I fill with a deuce and bet, george calls, mike raises, I 3bet, george folds really fast and mike calls. I turn my hand over and pull my bets back bc its obv gonna be a chop

mike tables 888 for his hole cards so his hand is 88844paintT, I have AAA224J my low is a pair of aces, his is a pair of fours. I have scooped the pot with a full house in hilo regular.

bugstud 11-06-2007 08:32 PM

easy game. that's rather strong.

Captain R 11-06-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

mike tables 888 for his hole cards so his hand is 88844paintT, I have AAA224J my low is a pair of aces, his is a pair of fours. I have scooped the pot with a full house in hilo regular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, dumb rules question. So a pair of aces is the lowest possible pair (lower than deuces)? Your low is AA24J?

SNOWBALL 11-06-2007 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're thinking of someone else, because I didn't play in the must move game last night...at the time I got seated (finally, after waiting >1.5 hours) there was only one game. I'm also assuming I'd remember if I lost with aces like that, though I don't take anything for granted these days.

Did you play in the main game though? I was in the 9 seat from 8:30 to 12:30 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a must move running when I arrived at 11ish, so they must have started it up after you sat. I think it broke around midnight or so, and I had to wait for loooong time before sitting. The guy I am thinking of must have taken your seat when you left, b/c he was in seat nine, but before that he was in seat 5. He was the 45ish russian looking guy.

The reason I placed you in seat 9 was b/c u said you were to the left og the brit.

Here's a funny hand I played against the brit:

I raise EP with KK. 7 to the flop of A85r.

Checked around to the brit who fires. 3 callers. I call, because I think my hand might be good and I almost have odds for my two outer, and b/c the limpers are so bad they don't need to have an ace, and the brit seems aggro.

Anyway, the turn is an A, so the board is A85A. Checked to the brit again and he bets and then comments "it's gonna be jackpot" so I think that means he is bluffing, and if he isn't then I get to gamboooool on a jackpot, so I call, and the worst player in the universe overcalls.

River deuce is checked through, and brit tables 87. Mhig bitches.

Another hand, I had TT, and 3 bet an almost all in EP raiser 4 players to the flop of 892. I bet and 3 see the ace come off on the turn. I get CR by the brit and I decide to fold, but before I do I ask if he'll show. He says sure. Brit flashes his A8o. LOL, nice call PF dude. He was supernice, and I loved playing with him.

The table got soooooo much better after you left. This 65 year old italian guy who smelled like a barrel of brandy, and kept bragging about how he is an old gardena lowball pro, and he hasn't worked since 73 was sooooo hilarious.

4 players to the flop of AK3 2 flush. SB checks. I bet my KT. Blotto geezer agonizes and calls. Turn is a J. I bet again. He calls. River is a 7, no flush. Check check. He tables Q2o no draw. LOL. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Later in the session he 5 bet the tightest player in the game on a KK5 flop with QJ no draw, and then checkraised the turn when he paired. I guess his specialty was backdoor broadway draws?

He kept standing up in the middle of hands and holding his hands in the air, and he couldn't figure out how many chips to put in for a raise. He would also say hilarious stuff when he bet like "[censored] or get off the pot"

It was like he was pulling some kind of Mike Caro shtick that never got to the EV punchline. He knew the brit from back in the old days, so he might have been telling the truth about being an old time lowball pro. I dunnoz.

HOWMANY 11-06-2007 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, dumb rules question. So a pair of aces is the lowest possible pair (lower than deuces)? Your low is AA24J?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the low Aces are the smallest possible pair.

Sailboats 11-06-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the low Aces are the smallest possible pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh ok. I was going to ask the same question. Is it always that way [ AA = 11] or just in that particular game?

HOWMANY 11-06-2007 10:58 PM

aces are high and low in every kind of poker that i'm aware of other than 2-7. in this situation they are low because that's how you make your best 5 card hand, the same thing would happen if 2 people had a full house in razz.

SNOWBALL 11-06-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aces are high and low in every kind of poker that i'm aware of other than 2-7. in this situation they are low because that's how you make your best 5 card hand, the same thing would happen if 2 people had a full house in razz.

[/ QUOTE ]

not on AP

DcifrThs 11-06-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just remembered a really sick hand from Sunday.

150/300 Stud hilo regular (no qualifier for low), mike the jeweler limps with like a 4 in the door, I complete (AA)4, george calls with an 8. 4th i catch an A mike gets a T george gets a 5, I bet both call, 5th mike has 4T4, george is like 855 and I'm A4J, I bet, george raise mike call, I 3bet both call, 6th george is 855K, mike is 4T4paint and I'm A4J2 I bet they both call

river I fill with a deuce and bet, george calls, mike raises, I 3bet, george folds really fast and mike calls. I turn my hand over and pull my bets back bc its obv gonna be a chop

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, playing w/ no qualifier your low is 22A4J and you scoop.

second off, wtf is with playing no qualifier?

that is some sick sh*t right there. what is the structure (ante? bring in?) ... same as stud 8? if it is must be a crazy action game.

Barron

HOWMANY 11-06-2007 11:38 PM

pretty sure my low is AAJ42 but it doesn't really matter because i scoop no matter what in this spot. when the hand happened i remember yosh saying something like "wow he has a pair of aces for low" while i was realizing i was going to scoop the pot. don't remember exactly what happened after bc i was pretty drunk, i just remember stacking the dollars

structure depends on what size we are playing exactly but basically bi is either 1/3 or 1/4 of small bet and ante is 1/4 or 1/6

DeuceKicker 11-06-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank god November is here.

quoting GoT's graph

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, that looks an awful lot like a graph of my last 2500 hands of live poker... except that mine is, like, red instead of green.

DcifrThs 11-06-2007 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty sure my low is AAJ42 but it doesn't really matter because i scoop no matter what in this spot. when the hand happened i remember yosh saying something like "wow he has a pair of aces for low" while i was realizing i was going to scoop the pot. don't remember exactly what happened after bc i was pretty drunk, i just remember stacking the dollars

structure depends on what size we are playing exactly but basically bi is either 1/3 or 1/4 of small bet and ante is 1/4 or 1/6

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes, AA<22, scoop regardless.

either way, hilarious.

and either way playing stud 8 no qual is sick lol. mad fun though drunk i'm sure.

Barron

DeathDonkey 11-07-2007 01:13 AM

It actually *should be* a much nittier game than stud/8.

-DeathDonkey

stinkypete 11-07-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and either way playing stud 8 no qual is sick lol. mad fun though drunk i'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

fun for the one sober guy who takes all the money cuz he's the only one who can read his hand

HOWMANY 11-07-2007 02:45 AM

the simple solution to this is have everyone drinking. i play so tight these days, especially in mixed games, that i think i would have to be like blackout drunk for it to make me not a huge favorite in a game like this one was

ShawnHoo 11-07-2007 05:01 AM

Quick Q for the Commerce regulars:

What % of 40-80 players do you think are millionaires outside of poker? I think it must be close to 50%, but someone else thought it was much lower.

surfdoc 11-07-2007 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What % of 40-80 players do you think are millionaires outside of poker? I think it must be close to 50%, but someone else thought it was much lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is a millionaire? We need a more clear definition.

ShawnHoo 11-07-2007 05:06 AM

They could have access to at least $1,000,000 without selling their home or having to borrow.

stinkypete 11-07-2007 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can afford to lose between several hundred and a few thousand almost every day, you better be a millionaire.

surfdoc 11-07-2007 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They could have access to at least $1,000,000 without selling their home or having to borrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not clear enough. Does that mean we have to include all money in 401k plans and every penny in the portfolio? How about equity in the house above and beyond what is owed. If it is just liquid cash I think it is a very small percentage. Not many have 1 million. Christ, I don't even have that much and I am way balla. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

HOWMANY 11-07-2007 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a ton of them but probably less than 50%, not going to bother guessing some number.

ShawnHoo 11-07-2007 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not clear enough. Does that mean we have to include all money in 401k plans and every penny in the portfolio? How about equity in the house above and beyond what is owed. If it is just liquid cash I think it is a very small percentage. Not many have 1 million. Christ, I don't even have that much and I am way balla. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a nit, doc -- obviously the $1M can include stocks and stuff. I'm talking about everything excluding their primary residence.

mike l. 11-07-2007 05:26 AM

it's much less. it's one thing to have a couple hundred or more to your name, it's another thing entirely to have over a million.

surfdoc 11-07-2007 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a nit, doc -- obviously the $1M can include stocks and stuff. I'm talking about everything excluding their primary residence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being a nit. I am just trying to figure out if I make it. I think the number is actually super low. Like 1-2%. If you look at all the "pros" the answer is none. Then you look at the kids under 30 and the answer is none. So basically you have the super rich Tommy Bahama wearing fishy types of which there aren't that many.

ShawnHoo 11-07-2007 06:02 AM

I'm really surprised to hear that folks think the number is low -- I had always assumed that all of the Persians/Middle Easterners were, along with a good chunk of the Asian business community.

I know I really shouldn't think too much about this sort of thing, but it just boggles my mind that (as stinkypete pointed out) people can lose hundreds or thousands every day without going broke. But hey, bless 'em -- if it weren't for them, I'd probably have to go back to work.

Michael Davis 11-07-2007 08:29 AM

Surely, work must be more fun than this. And for you, almost as lucrative. Or at least lucrative enough to where it's a decent option.

-Michael

sternroolz 11-07-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surprised to hear that folks think the number is low -- I had always assumed that all of the Persians/Middle Easterners were, along with a good chunk of the Asian business community.

I know I really shouldn't think too much about this sort of thing, but it just boggles my mind that (as stinkypete pointed out) people can lose hundreds or thousands every day without going broke. But hey, bless 'em -- if it weren't for them, I'd probably have to go back to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the part about business is key. A TON of the players own their business or work in some other job where they have access to lots of cash. Some are truly wealthy. These are the ones you see losing year after year after year. Others are "temporary" millionaires....They make or have access to thousands at a time and will be Commerce regulars for a year or two.

Through playing the low level tournaments years ago, I ran into a number of people like these temporary millionaires. One guy owned about 18 or so burrito stands and played up to $300-600. Of course he lost it all with his wife getting like the last three stands at divorce. Another guy owned a auto shop. He played as high as $30-60 and was degenerate as heck. He also lost it all(and is now essentially homeless).

But lots of these guys are very successful and will always play. There is one guys who plays horrible, admits he plays horrible. He knows it. But he has more than enough money to fade 30-40K a year in losses. Another I knew about was a female dealer. Her husband was loaded. She loved to play $20-40 at Commerce. But she was horrible at poker. So her husband cut her off from gambling and she returned to dealing to fund her poker playing.