Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Final vB Testing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557215)

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 01:27 PM

Final vB Testing

http://forumtest.conjelco.com

This is the last look. Everyone should be able to sign in and use this version, and I encourage all of you to check in and try different things to see if we've missed anything big. You'll all be assigned to the right forums and such, but immediately after the exact permissions for mods in each forum will have to be tweaked a bit one by one. So within the first couple hours powers will be built back up to what they are now and then some.

There are a couple things left to do with cleaning up buttons and deciding on exactly which smilies, but otherwise this is it.

ajmargarine 11-29-2007 01:50 PM

Re: Final vB Testing

That little computer icon under a user's name that shows their IP address is only viewable by moderators?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 01:55 PM

Yeah.

iron81 11-29-2007 02:02 PM

Is there any chance you can unlock the announcement sticky? It would amuse me to see people from every forum interacting in the same thread. The implications are exciting.

Also, just a reminder that everyone needs to lift or at least keep track of your temp bans.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 02:04 PM

I did think about it, but... figured it's probably best this way.

SamIAm 11-29-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
powers will be built back up to what they are now and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did we lose our html superpower? It's no big deal, but I don't see how to post possibly-harmful scripts and code in the vB code.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 02:15 PM

Unfortunately yes. vB won't set this by usergroup, only by forum.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 02:23 PM

Aw, I'll miss that. I liked posting inline youtube and <marquee>

MrWookie 11-29-2007 02:26 PM

Oh, did we ditch the vB default skin that was on the vb server? I thought that was a pretty decent one.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 02:32 PM

Ah, thanks. That tends to be overlooked because it's actually the master template we use that isn't user selectable. So the one available is sort of just a copy that's never exported in other tests. It's there now.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 02:37 PM

Cool, thanks. The other thing I noticed is that we still have the 5 "extra" fields in the profile along with the cryptic "user_name_impex." Are we going to take those out or modify them into something sensible?

mrkilla 11-29-2007 02:41 PM

Ryan
if we make changes to profile and stuff in here (like adding avatar, titles etc) will it show up when you do the switch? or is this still just a testing forum

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 02:43 PM

Nope, just a test forum. You'd have to update again after Sunday.

Wookie:
[ QUOTE ]
The other thing I noticed is that we still have the 5 "extra" fields in the profile along with the cryptic "user_name_impex." Are we going to take those out or modify them into something sensible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Those weren't in a couple of the previous imports. I'll double check that each time from now on. They'll be removed shortly.

nation 11-29-2007 03:00 PM

can we only look at that ip add or is there a way to cross reference against other users?

*TT* 11-29-2007 03:01 PM

enhanced WYSISWG interface should be the default. no?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 03:11 PM

Nah. That's not quite what people are used to, and it's better as the option rather than default anyway. Plus, in some skins you'll end up typing your post against a darkish background with WYSIWYG. That's fine, it's just one other small thing that pushes standard to being the better default.

ajmargarine 11-29-2007 03:25 PM

Polls now are only limited to one question.

EMc 11-29-2007 03:56 PM

The mobile browser works real well.

EMc 11-29-2007 04:04 PM

ryan,

a. IDK if this is right but you imported the old sponsored forums
b. I can change my title, can all users do this
c. How do we change skins?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 04:15 PM

Good catch on the first one. We still have some forums around that just aren't enabled.

Nope, only mods and above can change their own titles.

You can change styles from 'my 2+2' -> 'edit options'. It's towards the bottom.

tuq 11-29-2007 04:27 PM

Although I've probably done it maybe ten times, it is kind of a shame there's not a mod in vB to enable mods to give out custom titles. For whatever reason a lot of posters really take that seriously, possibly because it has to be "earned". When I've done it they come away like beaming schoolchildren. There are a number of reasons it's a good idea, really.

ajmargarine 11-29-2007 04:28 PM

--when you insert a link into a post, you can no longer name that link something, the url will just show up in the text of your post?

--when making a new reply, you can insert an email address. we probably don't want that, right?

Jurollo 11-29-2007 04:36 PM

losing html powers SUCKSSSS it f's up the big stickies i have here. also not being able to give titles blows too, but isnt a biggy.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 04:36 PM

http://forumtest.conjelco.com/showpost.php?p=1191170

Don't see the email address thing as being a problem. We can always disable it if it becomes one, though.

Jurollo 11-29-2007 04:37 PM

hybrid view is kinda cool

Jurollo 11-29-2007 04:39 PM

we have to crackdown on homepages doing to coaching sites and stuff now right? Since there is a link when you click on someone's name directly from threads that says "Go to X's homepage!" Not only this but it opens it in the same window which compounds the issue.

ajmargarine 11-29-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also not being able to give titles blows too,

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't give titles anymore?

Jurollo 11-29-2007 04:40 PM

lastly, how do we get into user's profiles to ban and what not? I need a tutorial!

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 04:41 PM

Well I'll be willing to give out titles when you guys ask, and Mat may not mind granting some requests either. So they won't be entirely gone, just less numerous.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we have to crackdown on homepages doing to coaching sites and stuff now right? Since there is a link when you click on someone's name directly from threads that says "Go to X's homepage!" Not only this but it opens it in the same window which compounds the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything is allowed in profiles I don't see this as a problem. If Mat does we'll get it disabled. But nowhere is anyone being told to go a site or anything like that. Making the link more accessible shouldn't change that the general thinking with allowing stuff in profiles has always been that as long as you're not trying to actively and directly promote it you're fine.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lastly, how do we get into user's profiles to ban and what not? I need a tutorial!

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the permissions that will need to be tweaked for each mod relate to banning. I haven't gone through everybody for the purposes of this test. Just enabled your banning and profile type mod powers, though.

http://forumtest.conjelco.com/2p2mod/

For those who missed this in previous testing, you'll probably just want to bookmark the modcp (not this one). You can get there a few ways, but that's always going to be the most direct route to most powers.

You'll also see options available on user profiles, including the spammer ban that nukes everything. It only works on members who have been registered for less than about a week. Please don't tell them that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

When viewing a profile you'll get a mostly look but no editing view with the exception of avatars. Again things being like that is just the way vBulletin clearly separates powers. You need to have the admincp to access more, and that more includes everything. It's intentionally designed this way.

On the other side, though, your IP and user searching abilities are greatly enhanced.

SamIAm 11-29-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other side, though, your IP and user searching abilities are greatly enhanced.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm psyched about this part. I'd gladly give-up my inline youtubes for IP searches. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess the html-enabled faqs will have to be multi-posts? They're html just for the anchors, right? Is there any other way to jury-rig anchors?

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:11 PM

explain "one touch ban & clean" please. That looks scary!

MrWookie 11-29-2007 05:17 PM

It nukes a spammer's account and all their posts. Rather than leaving the spam posts to be cleaned by the mods of each forum, the first mod to nail the guy cleans up all the spam posts at once. It's awesome, but as Ryan said, it can only be used on people who've been registered for a week or less. You won't nuke a valued posters' stuff by mistake. Also, it's really 3 touch ban and clean. One to get to the profile, one to click the button, and one to confirm.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:21 PM

Yeah, the name is annoying. It's also too long for that page in certain spots. I'd change it, but credit and naming should go together with these things I think.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 05:22 PM

Could we talk about the infraction system? It looks like we scrapped the original system, but now I'm not sure how many infraction points leads to what sort of ban.

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:25 PM

I reported a post as a test. Got the email, when i clicked on the link it didnt work.

email:
*TT* ( mailto:****@gmail.com) has reported this post:

Tunica WPT/ WSOPC Question
http://vb.twoplustwo.com/showthread....80#post1189280

This is part of this thread:
Tunica WPT/ WSOPC Question
http://vb.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=65196

This is the reason that the user gave:
Test report

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

message I get from VB: No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:28 PM

It's just 100 points equals what amounts to an admin permanent ban. How those points are given is up to each mod, but generally they should be given for posts made in a mod's forum.

Rather than make it all too specific ahead of time I'd rather leave it really loose and refine things slowly over time.

Eurotrash 11-29-2007 05:28 PM

will i be able to retain my quasi-mod (non-green) status? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

also no mods setting titles is pretty ghey. as is no html imo.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:32 PM

Try it now.