Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535846)

nath 11-13-2007 05:05 PM

Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of my friend's bands, and I like their sound a lot: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=68985352
two demos are up, both are pretty good imo. They're the reason why I'm trying to develop a better taste for good music.

Basically I'm a whore for catchy stuff (hence the Fall Out Boy love). Going through my itunes library some of my favorite bands are All American Rejects, Ben Folds, The Darkness, Death Cab/Postal Service, Gorillaz, Chili Peppers, Weezer. that enough to go off of? (don't make fun of me if my taste sucks)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, while I do think your taste needs work, it is not hopeless by any means. I've gotten people who've displayed much less potential into much better music.

Listening to that myspace link now. The singer sounds a lot like Devendra Banhart, mixing in a bit of the Delgados or maybe Neko Case.

Keyser. 11-13-2007 05:05 PM

Just bought the new Angels and Airwaves actually. Good Charlotte is also a band I enjoy but do not like admitting that I enjoy.

goofyballer 11-13-2007 05:06 PM

Edited my post to add specific songs to check out btw if you aren't familiar with their music.

Nath, I'm a lot more of the school of "let people enjoy what they want to enjoy" rather than turning everyone into Sufjan Stevens [censored]-munchers.

nath 11-13-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nath, I'm a lot more of the school of "let people enjoy what they want to enjoy" rather than turning everyone into Sufjan Stevens [censored]-munchers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah. See, I am both pretentious and arrogant enough to assume my tastes are better than other people's and that they will enjoy what I recommend them more than they enjoy what they're listening to now.

I don't look at it as being condescending, though; I actually enjoy turning people onto new music. Plus, while I have a personal affinity for certain styles, I like anything and everything that's good, so if someone likes a particular style, I usually have something I can turn them on to.

Still listening to the myspace Keyser linked... this "Under Control" song reminds me of something the Arcade Fire or Andrew Bird might do.

If you guys are curious as to what I'm up to musically... I'm going to see Jens Lekman tomorrow (album of the year AINEC) and then Art Brut and The Hold Steady on Friday.

All of these bands are worth everyone's time.

Also, check out Black Kids here. Only four songs so far but they're all dynamite.

Snipe 11-13-2007 05:27 PM

Keyser:

If you liked The Postal Service, check out Cut Copy. Solid album all the way through. Doesn't really fit the indie rock mold tho.

Dirty Pretty Things and Hot Hot Heat might be more the sound you're looking for. Older, but kinda slept on.

Then there's The Strokes which I'm sure you've had your fill of, but I can go back to pretty much whenever.

I'd also encourage everyone to check out Chromeo if you can get with Retro 80's Electro Pop type stuff. Really solid duo.

Snipe 11-13-2007 05:29 PM

Art Brut is [censored] hilarious.

4_2_it 11-13-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it,

Keyser asked for a "new indie-rock-type band", not "what you listened to in college".

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most new indie rock is a lame rip-off of the stuff I listened to in college which was a lame rip off of the Beatles, Cream or JHE. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

nath 11-13-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Art Brut is [censored] hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're fun as [censored] live, too, as are the Hold Steady (one of the few bands I will see anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances). I might not even drink at Jens Lekman just to be prepared to get totally housed on Thursday.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also encourage everyone to check out Chromeo if you can get with Retro 80's Electro Pop type stuff. Really solid duo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is the same sort of thing but I really like Glass Candy and Chromatics.

also just discovered that Glass Candy is ALSO playing tomorrow in Austin. WTF lifetilt.

nath 11-13-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it,

Keyser asked for a "new indie-rock-type band", not "what you listened to in college".

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most new indie rock is a lame rip-off of the stuff I listened to in college which was a lame rip off of the Beatles, Cream or JHE. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehe, oh, believe me, I remember. I probably watched more MTV between ages 6-8 than I have since.

Jay Riall 11-13-2007 05:41 PM

Any Dylan fans in here?

I have the sneaking suspicion that everyone in here either listens to crappy, poppy R'N'B type music or lame poppy indie/punk bands. Please dispel my fears Life!