Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes MTT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   General advice on opening with 15bbish (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504312)

mwalsh2020 09-19-2007 03:08 AM

General advice on opening with 15bbish

This is definitely the weakest part of my game. When I'm deeper I know how to incorporate deception into my preflop strategy and when i'm shorter i think i do a decent job of push-botting. Where I get really lost is the area where you rarely get called and often get reshoved on. I feel like playing the standard percentages of hands just doesn't work for me... I seem to be too often either getting reraised allin preflop or when I do call I am often too far behind.

Two of my friends who are successful mtters simply say to play very tight with this type of stack, but I figured there was probably a better way and people here might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

ASPoker8 09-19-2007 03:14 AM

Re: General advice on opening with 15bbish

Play tight w/ 15BBs

Its really bad to raise/fold with 10-15 bb's, so try not to

gobboboy 09-19-2007 03:24 AM

I've basically taken raise/folding with 15 bb's out of my game unless all stacks are at that level.

Mench 09-19-2007 04:05 AM

I won't raise with 15bbs without the intention of calling a shove really. But at the same time since 10bb and 20bb are easier to play I don't think it matters much except that when card dead we have a few extra rounds.

If we are on a pure steal (fold to any reraise unless super potstuck) what is the min people will open to. I usually err on the side of 2.4-2.6bb but I wonder if minraising is effectively the same thing.

WarDekar 09-19-2007 04:43 AM

When I'm stuck in that range I'll raise/fold but only when I'm on a pure steal which I try not to do. Generally if I'm raising with 10-15BB I plan on calling a shove.

As gobbo said, if everyone is around the same stack size then it becomes a different issue as you might have to raise/fold.

Another time would be if I have a specific read on a player that he won't really re-steal and only shove a range that I know I can steal profitably vs.

Rekwob 09-19-2007 10:44 AM

dont raise/fold, resteal super wide

1o BoY 09-19-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two of my friends who are successful mtters simply say to play very tight with this type of stack,.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assassinato 09-19-2007 01:52 PM

I play pretty tight with that kind of stack now. I used to blow many tournaments trying to do steals from that many bbs. If I am raising I often will call a shove.

KingDan 09-19-2007 02:33 PM

Agree with tightish play.

If I'm in LP with 14x bb, and raise/calling is gonna suck I will just often open jam.

LearnedfromTV 09-19-2007 02:44 PM

I agree with the general idea that raise/folding is bad, but at tables with smaller standard raises (2.5x-ish) the stack size at which raise/folding becomes bad is slightly lower.

Raise 2.5x with 2.5x in the pot, and someone shoves 15x, you need 12.5/32.5 = 38% equity to call. There are plenty of hands that don't have 38% equity against that shoving range, and aren't profitable open pushes, but the 2.5x steal may still be profitable. Compare to raising 3x where you are getting closer to 2-1 (12/32.5 = 37%). Even so, raising 3x and folding to 15x can be correct with some hands (provided the open steal is profitable). With 13-14x, not so much. With 10-12x, it's terrible.

The line at which raise/fold is dominated (for all hands) by raise/call, open push, or open fold is lower when

- the table/opponent(s) behind are tighter reraisers
- the open raise size is lower

Overall, the advice to play tight with this stack size is generally correct.