Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much money would you take to spend a year in a monastery? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308902)

RoundTower 01-18-2007 08:32 AM

How much money would you take to spend a year in a monastery?

Inspired by the thread about going to prison for a year. People there wanted between $50k and 20 million.

Any religion you like, but you must live a very simple lifestyle. You can't leave the grounds of the monastery. You might have the occasional interaction with people from the outside world, but you're not going to see your family regularly. No sex. No TV, no internet. A lot of time spent praying/meditating, and working. No strings attached once you leave, but you absolutely cannot leave once your year starts. You'll probably come out of it a better person, but you might find it pretty boring.

How much would someone need to offer you to do this? Would any OOTers pay for this experience?

soko 01-18-2007 08:36 AM

Re: How much money would you take to spend a year in a monastery?

I think alot of people would do this for free if they felt like they wouldn't have to start their whole lives over with finding a job, house, car all over agian once the year is up.

$25,000

Alobar 01-18-2007 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think alot of people would do this for free if they felt like they wouldn't have to start their whole lives over with finding a job, house, car all over agian once the year is up.

$25,000

[/ QUOTE ]

kassdog 01-18-2007 09:04 AM

Yeah I wouldn't do it for much at all. Knowing that i won't have to pay any bills during that year or if I just lost my job hell I would do it for free seeing as it would be something interesting to do.

Slow Play Ray 01-18-2007 09:06 AM

If I didn't have to actually pray, I'd probably be willing to do it for my regular salary and catch up on my reading. It would be like a long mental health vacation.

belgianbeerlover 01-18-2007 11:27 AM

If you include monastery 's that make beer, i'd do it for a lifetime supply of all their beers.

Sooga 01-18-2007 11:40 AM

I already live a monastic lifestyle as it is.

Gildwulf 01-18-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a thinly veiled "what would you do without the internet" post.

Missing all the memories of my family and friends and watching my nephews growing up and not being with my girlfriend and missing 2p2 gossip is probably worth $800,000 to me.

guids 01-18-2007 12:09 PM

I cant imagine this being much different from prison.

goodsamaritan 01-18-2007 12:10 PM

Arew you allowed to masturbate?