Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What are your opinions of these books? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=448868)

Nivek 07-11-2007 07:41 PM

What are your opinions of these books?

I have been playing cards for some time, both online and in our frequent home games, and most recently I have gotten more deeply involved in the game, playing much more than I used to. Over the years I have been playing I have acquired a few books, but have never read any of them. I've decided now may be a good time to start reading as I am playing the game more and more. I hope that I will end up reading all of these books and more, but was hoping you guys could help me out with some reviews and suggestions. [[I know and have used the search tool to look for all of these books, but have decided to make this post anyway to get a more consolidated and focused answer to my question.]]

I have the following books:
Play Poker Like the Pros – Phil Hellmuth, Jr.
Harrington on Hold ‘em Volume 1 – Dan Harrington
Championship Hold ‘em Tournament Hands – McEvoy/Cloutier
The Theory of Poker – David Sklansky
Super System – Doyle Brunson

So, which of these do you think I should start with and are all of these worth the read?

Thanks, your feedback is appreciated!!

Edit: Most currently I am playing small stakes NL HE

Pokamon4e 07-11-2007 08:19 PM

Re: What are your opinions of these books?

I think "Play Poker like the Pros" and the Cloutier/McEvoy book are regarded as pretty bad. The other three books are classics. I'd start with Harrington, read the NL section in Super System afterwards and then The Theory of Poker.

phydaux 07-11-2007 08:25 PM

What game do you play for your home game? NL hold'em cash? NL Hold'em tourny? Dealer's choice?

Niediam 07-11-2007 08:49 PM

Play Poker Like the Pros: Limit hold'em sectons is beyond bad. Rest of the book is good beginner material.

Harrington on Hold'em: One of the best books period.

Championship Hold'em Tournament Hands: Marginal at best.

Theory of Poker: Most people consider this the best book ever written on poker.

Super System: Not very relevant for today's games. Stud high section is still good I believe.

Nivek 07-11-2007 09:00 PM

Thanks for the advice thus far, and to answer your question, at our home games we play NL HE cash games and tourneys.

phydaux 07-11-2007 09:25 PM

HOH I, then. No doubt.

I like the NL section of Super/System a lot, but Doyal's advice is a tad too aggressive on the flop. I'm not saying to not be aggressive on the flop. Far from itI In fact, Dan Harrington will teach you the Great and Secret Mystery that is The Continuation Bet. And his pre-flop advice is gold. I'm just saying not to go all-in on the flop quite as much as Doyal says.

Theory of Poker is very good. You're going to want to read this book once every few months to get all you can out of it.

jeffnc 07-12-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play Poker Like the Pros – Phil Hellmuth, Jr.
Championship Hold ‘em Tournament Hands – McEvoy/Cloutier
Super System – Doyle Brunson

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell those 3 on Amazon and use the proceeds to buy Harrington Vol 2 and Angel Largay's book. When Flynn/Mehta's new book comes out, buy that.

Jibba 07-12-2007 02:41 PM

I'll jump on board with the opinion that the Hellmuth book is just bad. It was one of the first poker books I read, and I think it's the worst by a good margin. Expected better from him.

dwf76 07-12-2007 02:50 PM

Once you get through the Harrington series, you can't go wrong by getting "No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice"

Montrealcorp 07-12-2007 03:14 PM

actually i find hellmuth not "THAT" bad...
i feel is animal concept with how to plays opposition is pretty good,beside this, yeah,its not great but i heard is theory on the others game beside hold em are ok