Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   If..... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531680)

hotmark777 10-26-2007 04:25 AM

If.....

This is a very general question, but i have heard so many varying answers that i said i would see what 2p2 thinks.

If you had a net worth of $100 dollars, and were a very conservative investor, how would u distribute your wealth?

First in terms of asset types: cash, equity, bonds, real estate

Then in terms of currency: USD, EURO, others

Also how would you distribute your investment in equity, what percentage would you put in what sectors (finance, technology, services, retail etc...)

For purposes of the argument, cosider that economic conditions are stable, and that we are positioning our portfolio to meet long term requirements (ie please discard the fact that dollar is currently vey weak and on a downward trend, and discard all problems having to do with subprime crisis)

kimchi 10-26-2007 04:28 AM

Re: If.....

You'll get no meaningful replies without stating your personal situation & objectives.

Henry17 10-26-2007 04:45 AM

Is $100 used as a proxy for percent?

hotmark777 10-26-2007 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is $100 used as a proxy for percent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes more or less, and to answer above posters question, lets imagine that investor is very conservative as i mentioned, and mainly interested in preserving his wealth, and getting a good return without being too exposed to high risk assets. His personal situation is quite comfortable

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-26-2007 06:17 AM

id invest in booze.

Henry17 10-26-2007 06:59 AM

You'd need to give a specific starting balance. Using percent makes no sense as what I'd do with $50k is very different then what I'd do with $3M.

hotmark777 10-26-2007 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd need to give a specific starting balance. Using percent makes no sense as what I'd do with $50k is very different then what I'd do with $3M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say the guy is worth 100 billion dollars just for the sake of argument... I specified this would be a very general question, and it is aimed at a person who is relatively comfortable, but very conservative

stephenNUTS 10-26-2007 08:49 AM

GATES WILLIAM H III: Declared Holdings
Company/Relationship Reported Shares Ownership
MICROSOFT CP
Director
NasdaqGS:MSFT
877,499,336 Direct Shares

Just saying "if someone has $100 billion dollars" is abit unrealistic IMO?

MSFT reported blowout EPS last night and their shares are up over $4 per share in pre-market trading.Bill Gates just made 3.5 BILLION dollars MORE on paper than he already has.............does it really matter anymore to him at this stage in the game...or going to change his lifestyle in any way?

Just WOW Bill!

As Henry17 stated.....now comparing someone with $50k or $3MM in capital ,is a completely different story with regard to investment objectives.

Each persons age,priorities,lifestyle,risk tolerance,etc. becomes much more relevent with more realistic numbers.

SF [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

scott1 10-26-2007 09:34 AM

Microstakes NL.

Ganjasaurus Rex 10-26-2007 09:42 AM

Put it all on red.