Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Less restrictive firewall? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=303680)

Bishop22 01-11-2007 02:14 AM

Less restrictive firewall?

I've been trying to add a software firewall to my otherwise comprehensive security suite however I cannot find one that does not cut my internet bandwidth in half or worse. I've tried Comodo and Kerio which are supposed to be two of the best. When I run a bandwidth test with the Windows firewall on I get 3-5MB/sec but when I have the other firewalls on I get less than 1MB/sec. Is this just standard? Any settings that can be changed? Would buying Zonealarm that works with my router solve the problem?

jk1986 01-11-2007 02:46 AM

Re: Less restrictive firewall?

Give AVG a try (googleit)

bawcerelli 01-11-2007 04:02 AM

what do you mean zone alarm that works with your router? is there a zone alarm for routers? what brand of routers? wtf is going on? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bishop22 01-11-2007 04:55 AM

It is a linksys router (wrt54g) there was an option during configuration to upgrade to zone alarm pro, I guess that wasn't relevant. I am pretty computer literate but I am clueless with firewalls.

bawcerelli 01-11-2007 05:53 AM

it seems to me that the network bandwidth isn't where the problem lies as far as performance goes. just seems like your pc is using plenty of cycles for the firewall, not your internet bandwidth getting cut down. but that's just how it seems from reading your post.

Beavis68 01-11-2007 01:59 PM

a firewall should not be trashing your bandwidth. it is probably some download virus scan that is doing that.

Bishop22 01-11-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a firewall should not be trashing your bandwidth. it is probably some download virus scan that is doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible this is built into the Kerio Firewall?

udbrky 01-11-2007 08:15 PM

Zone Alarm basic is very good. You can change settings and after you allow a program, it doesn't slow down your internet at all. And, it's free.

Bishop22 01-11-2007 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zone Alarm basic is very good. You can change settings and after you allow a program, it doesn't slow down your internet at all. And, it's free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cnet dropped ZA Basic from its recommeded list because it scored the lowest on the intrusion tests of all the free firewalls, I hear ZA Pro is good tho.

BiPolar_Nut 01-11-2007 10:08 PM

I run Comodo on one of my remote servers, and get 80%+ of the advertised 10Mbps upstream and downstream. Something else is affecting your bandwidth (FWIW, that server is very weak on processing....only a 3GHz Celeron but the server is optimized and only serves one low-processing use service)