Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Just got a summons for grand jury duty (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508417)

betgo 09-24-2007 04:40 PM

Just got a summons for grand jury duty

I was wondering how long these things usually last. Also, should I list my occupation as poker player.

I know the grand jury hears evidence from the prosecutor and generally indicts whomever the prosecutor wants them to.

IWEARGOGGLES 09-24-2007 04:44 PM

Re: Just got a summons for grand jury duty

My dad is on some grand jury and goes 1 week a month, every month.

He loves it because he hates his job working on the railroad. He calls it vacation.

Brad1970 09-24-2007 04:44 PM

If you want to be dismissed, I'd put down occupation as poker player. Most judges/prosecutors are conservative & won't like your occupation much.

odellthurman 09-24-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be dismissed, I'd put down occupation as poker player. Most judges/prosecutors are conservative & won't like your occupation much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is on the grand jury, he is on the grand jury. What he lists as his occupation isn't going to get him dismissed.

ThreeMartini 09-24-2007 04:48 PM

I served on a grand jury a few years ago. We met every Wednesday AM for three months.

It's a very eye opening experience. I had no idea the crime we had in our county until I served.

The prosecutor presents his case, sometimes there are witnesses that you can question, heresay is permissable.

It's very very cool and I highly recommend doing it.

Most people got indicted, and they were mainly no-brainers.

We did fail to indict a guy on a double homicide though...He probably did it, but the evidence just wasn't there to build a case.

Mr.WeakTight 09-24-2007 04:49 PM

a famous federal judge (who ironically was later convicted of something) once said that a grand jury would indict a ham sandwhich.

Brad1970 09-24-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is on the grand jury, he is on the grand jury. What he lists as his occupation isn't going to get him dismissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I'm thinking trial jury...... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

jlzinck 09-24-2007 05:35 PM

It really depends of the size of your county.
I was on Grand Jury in Boston and we met 4 days a week for 13 weeks and then were extended for 1 day a week for 4 more weeks.

betgo 09-24-2007 06:18 PM

I think it will be an interesting thing to do. I would rather it isn't more than 2 weeks of work, as I am self employed and they probably don't pay much.

I guess I will put down poker player, since I should probably be truthful on something sent to the court, and it probably doesn't matter as there are no challenges to grand jurers.

mondo 09-24-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a famous federal judge (who ironically was later convicted of something) once said that a grand jury would indict a ham sandwhich.

[/ QUOTE ]

linky

yw, mondo