Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Important info about vBulletin (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523567)

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 04:23 PM

Important info about vBulletin

As some of you already know we're switching from UBB.threads 6.5.5 to the latest version of vBulletin. This is a change that will introduce many new features, and I think you guys are going to like it. The plan is to import all users and 60 days worth of posts early Sunday morning the first weekend of December.

Here's what you should keep in mind for now...

IMPORTANT!!!
Your 2+2 display name will be used for everything once we switch. vBulletin does not use separate login and display names.

Name change requests will be locked on Wednesday. If you have a good reason to change your name, now is the time. However, please keep in mind that the same standard as always will be used when deciding whether to grant the request.

A few things will not import to vBulletin. At first this is sure to cause some headaches. Please be aware that current avatars, custom titles, address books and favorite threads will not survive the journey. Everything will remain on the current forum as an archive, however. With that in mind, be sure to update your profile and options when you sign in after the switch. You'll probably hear me say that several times during the coming weeks.

Finally, your post count and registration date will not change, although you'll likely end up with a different user number.

Check back here for more updates. I'll also be posting at least one forum announcement as we get closer to the switch. What else do you guys want to know?

PM Update 10/16:

To speed up the process we've decided not to import PMs. However, everything will remain in the current software as an archive, so you won't actually lose anything. It's just not going to be coming with to vB.

Georgia Avenue 10-15-2007 04:30 PM

Re: Important info about vBulletin

This news hit me like a SHOTGUN

Georgia Avenue 10-15-2007 04:31 PM

What about things like Location and Hobbies and other profile details?

tuq 10-15-2007 04:32 PM

Posting in a sticky!

Ryan, when you get time you should post about some of the features and enhancability (sp) of vB, to get people excited rather than the standard groans about last time, wood paneling, etc. From what I've seen it's pretty sweet.

Georgia Avenue 10-15-2007 04:33 PM

TTHRIC

2/325Falcon 10-15-2007 04:34 PM

Can I have user # 007?

2/325Falcon 10-15-2007 04:37 PM

Will ignore lists survive the switch?

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan, when you get time you should post about some of the features and enhancability (sp) of vB, to get people excited rather than the standard groans about last time, wood paneling, etc. From what I've seen it's pretty sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan for this was to make a comprehensive post about new stuff to look for that would go up after the switch. But it may be good to give people a preview beforehand, I suppose. I'll get to that a bit later when I have some time. Feel free to share anything that struck you as cool, though.

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about things like Location and Hobbies and other profile details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those will make it through. Right now I'm looking at an old version of someone's imported profile that lists location, biography, interests, home page and occupation.

MrWookie 10-15-2007 04:46 PM

I think the AJAX thing you did is probably the biggest immediate wow-er.

In vB, Ryan implemented a mod where, when on a forum's main page, every thread has a [+] button that, if clicked, shows the first post in that thread w/o having to open the thread. How cool is that?

Other nice perks:

WYSIWYG post making/editing.

The ability to easily quote multiple posts in your reply.

Reduced spam.

A badass [spoiler] tag that hides spoiler text or HH results until teh curious person clicks a button. No need for white text, and it'll be hidden regardless of your skin choice.

-jP 10-15-2007 04:47 PM

oh noes will banned accounts still be banned? what about the names of banned accounts will they be saved so you can't create a new account with the banned name?

PJo336 10-15-2007 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Posting in a sticky!

[/ QUOTE ]

nath 10-15-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Posting in a sticky!

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, I know nothing about forum software, and even though I'm pretty competent as a user, I'd still like this one explained slowly and carefully.

stabn 10-15-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Posting in a sticky!

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, I know nothing about forum software, and even though I'm pretty competent as a user, I'd still like this one explained slowly and carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan is disabling your internets and replacing them with internets 2.

Also the new forums look pretty sweet at this point, i think people will definitely appreciate the update.

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 04:53 PM

One nice thing that even the mods haven't seen quite yet is that 2+2 will automatically switch to using a special lite skin on mobile devices, excluding the iPhone.

StevieG 10-15-2007 05:11 PM

The improved search capability of vB is a feature that most users should love.

I'll miss my low numbered user id, though. Sad face.

Los Feliz Slim 10-15-2007 05:27 PM

Will there be wood paneling?

pvn 10-15-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMPORTANT!!!
Your 2+2 display name will be used for everything once we switch. vBulletin does not use separate login and display names.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the archives getting moved into the new system? Right now, my posts in the archives show up under my login name, which is different than my display name.

nath 10-15-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One nice thing that even the mods haven't seen quite yet is that 2+2 will automatically switch to using a special lite skin on mobile devices, excluding the iPhone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, that I understand. That [censored] rules.

NewTeaBag 10-15-2007 05:42 PM

Will there be a logging of custom titles preswitch so that they can easily be restored by mods in an orderly fashion once over on VB?

Butcho22 10-15-2007 05:47 PM

Will Dids make it through?

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will there be a logging of custom titles preswitch

[/ QUOTE ]

Individual mods can do this if they wish, but they aren't all being logged by the reds or software. Mods also won't directly have that ability in vB. Essentially custom titles will have to go through an admin. This is less by choice than the mod panel being implemented in a different way.

pvn 10-15-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Individual mods can do this if they wish, but they aren't all being logged by the reds or software. Mods also won't directly have that ability in vB. Essentially custom titles will have to go through an admin. This is less by choice than the mod panel being implemented in a different way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. 95% of custom titles are really dumb.

T-God 10-15-2007 05:59 PM

noooooooooooooooo

holdme 10-15-2007 06:12 PM

my custom title is gay anyway

Spechel EDD 10-15-2007 06:30 PM

is this the same software that we used previously that stretched the forums out and made them ugly?

MrWookie 10-15-2007 06:37 PM

No, that was UBB 7.

XXXNoahXXX 10-15-2007 07:04 PM

can someone tell me a forum that currently uses this software so i can testdrive it?

StevieG 10-15-2007 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can someone tell me a forum that currently uses this software so i can testdrive it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chiptalk

Gutshot poker

Literotica I was there for testing purposes only. No, seriously, it's one of the largest volume sites for vBulletin out there. So you can really test the power of the search there since you are looking at a site larger than 2+2 in traffic and posts.

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 07:46 PM

There are many vBulletin forums out there. The thing is the community and it being relatively easy to modify means you can look at two vB boards and get almost entirely different experiences.

Default vBulletin can be found on Jelsoft's site:
www.vbulletin.com/forum

Somewhat customized official site for modifications:
www.vbulletin.org

Both of those are using fixed width by default. We will have both fluid and fixed, including conversions of some current 2+2 styles.

RedRover 10-15-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We will have both fluid and fixed, including conversions of some current 2+2 styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

infopop plz plz plz?

Smell The Glove 10-15-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chiptalk

Gutshot poker

Literotica I was there for testing purposes only. No, seriously, it's one of the largest volume sites for vBulletin out there. So you can really test the power of the search there since you are looking at a site larger than 2+2 in traffic and posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's OK to admit that you read Literotica.

steamboatin 10-15-2007 08:27 PM

Vbulletin rocks.

StevieG 10-15-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's OK to admit that you read Literotica.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm not worried about that. I was covering up for posting my stories there.

Ryan Beal 10-15-2007 08:51 PM

Oh, and some of you now looking at other vB boards may be pleased to know I added a custom option for selecting postbit style. Here's what that means:

postbit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...la/postbit.jpg

legacy postbit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...bit_legacy.jpg

XXXNoahXXX 10-15-2007 08:59 PM

Ryan,

when do you expect tuq to surpass your vbulletin post count?

iron81 10-15-2007 09:08 PM

I guess that explains where Ryan was.

ClassicBob 10-15-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure RB himself gave me my title, back when he was Cola, so I better keep mine.

nutshot2 10-15-2007 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yesssssssssssssss

pvn 10-15-2007 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yesssssssssssssss

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The nokia s60v3 browser does a pretty decent job rendering, but the screen is small so there's still LOTS of scrolling. lite skin FTW.