Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   If you drive in the left-most lane, [rant] (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=47823)

newhizzle 03-01-2006 01:51 AM

Re: If you drive in the left-most lane, [rant]

[ QUOTE ]
my take on this is that if you are in the left lane, you should be riding the bumper of the car in front of you until he changes lanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

tdarko 03-01-2006 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. if theres a cop on the side of the road and has somebody pulled over, you dont need to slow down. hes not going to jump in his car and chase you down. hes busy, keep driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

just so you know and you do not get a ticket, you are from texas right? here's the law in texas (not as certain for the other states, though i believe its the same):

if a cop has pulled over a driver on a HIGHWAY you have two choices if you are in the immediate lane next to where he is giving the citation (the right lane), 1) slow down to 35 MPH b/c that is now the speed limit in that lane no matter what the speed limit of the highway is, 2) change lanes into the middle or left lane.

if you pass a cop in the right lane when he is pulled over arresting or issuing any type of citation he can give you a ticket for going 70 in a 35 even if the highway speed limit is 70MPH.

as for residential or city streets the speed limit goes down as well, i am just not as familiar with the actual law.

***i guess i will add mine since i am already posting: the drivers that bother me are the ones that do not enter the highways fast enough. they get onto the entrance ramps and simply go the same speed they were going so when they get onto the highways they cause traffic jams and then become hazardous. for those who don't know this, THE SPEED LIMIT ON AN ENTRANCE RAMP IS THAT OF THE HIGHWAY YOU ARE ENTERING, if the speed limit of the highway is 70 you can actually go 70 MPH on the entrance ramp, its hard to do, but its not illegal. this is because it helps aid in the flow traffic.

~td

GeniusToad 03-01-2006 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People from Illinois suck at driving. So much so that we have an acronym for them here in Wisconsin. F***ing Illinois Bastards. Drive correctly, damnit!

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i always thought you called us FIBS because you couldn't think of a better repsonse to "cheese heads". that or because we consistently own you in every way.

snap.

you do have great disc golf courses though. keep up the good work.

Max Weinberg 03-01-2006 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm in complete agreement with the OP except that if I'm passin' everybody I'm just gonna stay in the left lane until somebody is on my ass. once i see them approaching in the rear view i'm very good about moving.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, when somebody is on your ass in the left lane, that means you have a wingman now, and can comfortably go like 120 with him. Using a wingman basically reduces the chance of a speeding ticket down to nothing, and it makes those long rides less boring if you can continually race someone down the highway.

shaddix 03-01-2006 09:05 AM

i was on a four lane about three weeks ago and there was one car in the right lane and then a line of about 30 cars in the left lane going .5mph faster than the single car in the right lane which was going 5mph below the speed limit

i passed them all, the guy in front flashed his headlights at me, but i didn't feel like spending 20 extra minutes driving to entertain someone else's idea of respectable, i didn't mean anything personally by my passing them, but i'm losing 20 minutes for their collective gain of 5 seconds

mostsmooth 03-03-2006 08:46 PM

i forgot one
21. you do not need to back into parking spaces. you definitely do not back into parking sopaces at 7-eleven. this is simply retarted. theres people driving in and out and they dont need to wait for you to back into a spot, especially since it takes you forever to figure out how to do it.

jstnrgrs 03-03-2006 09:22 PM

If you are turning left, get over to the left part of your lane. DO NOT move to the right before you turn left. (vice versa for right turns).

d10 03-03-2006 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm in complete agreement with the OP except that if I'm passin' everybody I'm just gonna stay in the left lane until somebody is on my ass. once i see them approaching in the rear view i'm very good about moving.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, when somebody is on your ass in the left lane, that means you have a wingman now, and can comfortably go like 120 with him. Using a wingman basically reduces the chance of a speeding ticket down to nothing, and it makes those long rides less boring if you can continually race someone down the highway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true for the guy behind. The guy in front is the one who will get pulled over. Also the guy in back isn't completely safe. I was following a guy once, then a third person came in and I dropped to 3rd in line. We passed a cop going about 90, he pulls over the first guy, me and the second guy pass just as the cop is getting out of his car. He points at the second guy and motions him to the side of the road. The cop was still halfway in his car so you'd have to assume he was ready to ignore car 1 and bust car 2 for more than speeding if he didn't pull over. Car 2 is smart and pulls over. Pretty nice move by the cop I thought. I wasn't pulled over.

Yobz 03-04-2006 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boom Boom,

the thing is, if you're in the left hand lane, and someone comes up behind you traveling at a rate of speed greater than your own, you should get the hell out of that lane.

This is common sense, but common sense often ISN'T these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so odd to read, as doing this is mostly impossible in rush hour Seattle traffic.

My point of view is this.

A- I live in a city where the left lane is not for passing, but it's the fast lane

B- I drive as fast as I can and still be safe. I consider myself to be the arbiter of safe speed.

C- If you're going faster than me, you're clearly going TOO FAST and should slow down.

D- If I can, I'll move over.

E- If I can't move over, and you're riding my bumper, I'll be slowing down to a speed that will annoy the living [censored] out of you. Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Seattle last summer and it is most likely the worst place in the world to drive. No one knows how to drive, no one pulls over to the right, and everyone goes 10 mph under the speed limit. As for (B) and (C)...why are you the arbiter, what makes you special?