Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Another sushi thread - how do YOU eat it? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=181798)

offTopic 08-08-2006 03:38 PM

Another sushi thread - how do YOU eat it?

Since I hate my job, and don't have much to do, I've been reading about many different sushi restaurants and their preparation styles.

I'd heard/read a couple of years ago about the finger-food nature of nigiri sushi in particular, and the traditional usage of the gari (pickled ginger). I've seen people do lots of different things in preparation for their meal.

Recently, my fiancee and I have been to a couple of fairly nice restaurants where we were either asked or told [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] not to dip certain pieces of sushi in anything else, as they were served with their own sauce.

So I'm wondering - how do you eat your sushi?

Evan 08-08-2006 03:40 PM

Re: Another sushi thread - how do YOU eat it?

I use plain soy sauce because I don't like the horseradish taste of wasabi. I dip the fish side of nigiri with my hands because that's what I read you're supposed to do.

TiK 08-08-2006 03:43 PM

Eating sushi with the fingers is acceptable. This is why all proper sushi establishments will provide you with oshibori (moist towelette) before the meal, usually when you first sit down.

punkass 08-08-2006 03:44 PM

I use chopsticks, dip the fish side. Little bit of wasabi, save gari for in between sushi.

If I'm by myself, I'll use fingers. I've heard you're supposed to use fingers for sushi, but when I'm out with friends, everyone uses chopsticks.

punkass 08-08-2006 03:45 PM

AHHHH! Dipping rice side into soy sauce will cause it to soak up too much soy sauce, and overpower the flavor of the fish!!!!

Tron 08-08-2006 03:46 PM

Correctly.

Aces McGee 08-08-2006 03:47 PM

The poll asks me to explain "other," so my explanation is that I don't dip either side because I don't like soy sauce.

-McGee

cdxx 08-08-2006 03:48 PM

there seems to be a break in the data. everyone who uses their finger, dips the fish side. most people who use chopsticks, dip incorrectly.

JordanIB 08-08-2006 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there seems to be a break in the data. everyone who uses their finger, dips the fish side. most people who use chopsticks, dip incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you can interpret the data after 19 votes.

robber baron 08-08-2006 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AHHHH! Dipping rice side into soy sauce will cause it to soak up too much soy sauce, and overpower the flavor of the fish!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

everytime I try to dip the fish side first the whole thing falls apart. I try to dip the side that way I get soy sauce on the fish and rice. All you can eat sushi is a very good thing