Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Introduce me to quality foreign-language hip hop, please (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355492)

DJ Sensei 03-14-2007 11:36 PM

Introduce me to quality foreign-language hip hop, please

I'm interested in broadening my horizons, however I have no way to find (or acquire) albums in german, french, or other languages. And of course when I say hip hop I don't mean crappy rap like you hear on the radio or MTV.

For reference, if it helps, my favorite english-language hip hop albums (not necessarily in this order) are:
Midnight Marauders
Dr. Octagonacolygst
Deltron 3030
Madvillainy
Illmatic
Liquid Swords

Even though I presumably won't be able to understand the lyrics, I believe that a significant part of the quality in great hip hop is the way that the lyricist can make his voice flow with the beats.

Macdaddy Warsaw 03-14-2007 11:58 PM

Re: Introduce me to quality foreign-language hip hop, please

I think the most famous Polish rap song is called "Scyzoryk" and I think it's by a guy named Liroy, but it seems he changed his name recently. If you google Scyzoryk you get results including a Polish wikipedia page. That said, I don't know if it's "quality" since this is just what I remember from going to grammar school in America with a whole bunch of other Polish kids of immigrants.

But yeah, there you go for Polish hip-hop.

I think there's a decent French rap scene too...Abstrackt Keal Agram is a band that's made it across the ocean. It's been a while since I listened to them, but there album Bad Thriller is pretty interested.

EDIT: I guess Abstrackt Keal Agram is more of like a synth-pop band or synth-hop band...I don't know but the song Et La Nuit s'éternise is pretty much straight hip-hop/rap. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

Jigsaws 03-15-2007 12:43 AM

Dutch hiphop isn't really like the albums you mentioned. Most of the beats are a lot rawer, most of the energy seems to be focused on the raps. I mean, Madvillainy is brilliant, so don't expect that level of innovation.

Some names you might want to check out are Extince, Osdorp Posse and Opgezwolle. I'm partial to DAC (De Amersfoortse Cooperatie) myself, but only because they're from my hometown, and I know half of the members. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can probably find most of these guys on [censored] somewhere, but you can listen to nonstop nederhop at http://www.nederhop.nl as well.

Vyse 03-15-2007 12:44 AM

There isn't.

rutang 03-15-2007 01:30 AM

I enjoyed Loop Troop. (I think they are danish or something. I don't really remember, it's been years since I heard the album I had) the song i remember is "Topp Doggz"

Africa has some really good hip hop (and hip hopish) stuff coming out. My favorite is Wale Oyejide. vocals on the album of his that I have (africahot!) are all in english, but the production is decidely african. I recommend it highly. (songs: Africahot, Falling)

you might be more interested in sombody like Reggie Rockstone (recommended song:eye mo de anaa)

go to africanhiphop.com and listen to thier radio broadcasts, you'll find some really good stuff.

I once heard a brazilian hip hop compilation I thought was really dope, it was called "the guide to brazilian hip hop" or something.

ed8383 03-15-2007 01:31 AM

finding quality foreign hip hop is like finding quality white reggae. Sorry but you won't find any except posers.

Ikonoclast 03-15-2007 01:38 AM

OK, Looking at your list of albums that are your favorites, besides Illmatic, you need serious introduction to better rap. Even though it is not foreign language hip hop, you should listen to Big L. His album titles are "Lifestyles of the poor and dangerous" and "The Big Picture". He also uses some spanish words incorporated in with english ones. Hands down the best rapper ever.

Ikonoclast 03-15-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
finding quality foreign hip hop is like finding quality white reggae. Sorry but you won't find any except posers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matisyahu is good and he is white, and orthodox jewish

slickpoppa 03-15-2007 01:44 AM

I don't know jack about hip hop, but look up the song Tornado by a South African rapper named Mandoza. It's got a good beat. His songs are part English, part some african language.

Golden_Rhino 03-15-2007 01:47 AM

I know this thread is serious, and I would be curious to hear some of the stuff being suggested, but the thought of Polish and Dutch rappers makes me giggle.