Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   PNL vrs. NLHTAP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=461692)

Master_Shake 07-26-2007 08:35 PM

PNL vrs. NLHTAP

what are the main differences between the two books?

fraac 07-26-2007 08:42 PM

Re: PNL vrs. NLHTAP

The word order.

No Fizzle 07-27-2007 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The word order.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, read the review post. I don't have PNL (yet!) but it seems people are saying it presents alot (not all, alot) of the same ideas in a much clearer, easier to read format.

jeffnc 07-27-2007 11:34 AM

A litmus test I use for a poker book is whether it teaches me how to play poker in a real game. For an example with a book you're probably already familiar with, SSH teaches you how to play poker, NLHTAP does not. That does not mean NLHTAP won't be helpful to you, it just helps explain the difference.

binions 07-27-2007 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NLHTP is a collection of ideas about the game. PNL is describes a way of thinking about the game that you can apply in any game you find yourself in. PNL is far more practical.

*TT* 07-27-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NLHTP is a collection of ideas about the game. PNL is describes a way of thinking about the game that you can apply in any game you find yourself in. PNL is far more practical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you become a better player, then NLHTP concepts will regain it's value. Think of NLHTP as TOP specific to NL.

Coz 07-27-2007 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you become a better player, then NLHTP concepts will regain it's value. Think of NLHTP as TOP specific to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you just finished the HOH series, which book would you would get most use out of?

*TT* 07-27-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you just finished the HOH series, which book would you would get most use out of?

[/ QUOTE ]

PNL.

PS - reading a book and understanding the hidden concepts are not necessarily related. It takes quite a while for some of the underpinnings of the Harington books to sink in.

No Fizzle 07-27-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PNL.

PS - reading a book and understanding the hidden concepts are not necessarily related. It takes quite a while for some of the underpinnings of the Harington books to sink in.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I just started to re-read NLHTAP and was surprised at how little of what I was (re) reading I had actually applied to my game. There were laso concepts I thought I understood but from going over them I realized that I did not.
I was so off that I stopped and am currently rereading TOP before I attempt NLHTAP again.

Note: To apply to your situation, I've read HOH 3 times each and every time my tournament game gets better and better. Re-reading also helps you to think about your own ideas and concepts to apply in conjunction with Harrington's advice, or in some cases contrary to it.

nekrunanus 07-27-2007 03:29 PM

Ed Miller has stated that writing PNL made him understand NLHE. So there.