Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Should icing the kicker be banned? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=518755)

SuperUberBob 10-09-2007 12:44 AM

Should icing the kicker be banned?

Pretty self-explanatory. Those last second timeouts before a game-winning field goal attempt. We see the effect it has had on a couple of games. Shanahan (I think) used it on Janikowski in their game and Kiffin used it on Phil Dawson when the Raiders played the Browns. Most recently, Jauron tried to ice the kicker tonight (or last night actually) against the Cowboys, though it wasn't successful.

ADLinden 10-09-2007 12:44 AM

Re: Should icing the kicker be banned?

yes

lastchance 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

I don't think it's unethical, cheap or douchey. However, it should still be banned.

capone0 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

The teams know it's coming.

Claunchy 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

Obviously you can't stop a team from calling a timeout. It's not like they're gonna tell the ref that their intention is to ice the kicker.

Now whether the coach should be able to call a timeout on the sideline half a second before the ball is snapped is another issue (it sucks imo).

BGnight 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

the new rule yes. the old rule was fine when the defense had to call it. It's pure chickensh*t to let the coach wait until 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. The is no debate on this.

Poofler 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

I'm fine with "icing" the kicker... letting him setup, and calling timeout. It's the doing it so late that he kicks it I dislike.

kyleb 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the new rule yes. the old rule was fine when the defense had to call it. It's pure chickensh*t to let the coach wait until 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. The is no debate on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Edge34 10-09-2007 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Unless you take away the entire ability for coaches to call timeouts, I don't see why this should be any different.

Say what you want, but I think that its a fine way to make sure the kicker is keeping his head in the game. If he can get rattled by something that simple, then its fine gamesmanship. If it doesn't work, you're out 30 seconds and you still lose/go to OT or whatever.

lastchance 10-09-2007 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's unethical, cheap or douchey. However, it should still be banned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's lame, and really annoying to watch as a fan.