Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   can a registered dem vote in the repub primary? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539144)

pr0crast 11-05-2007 07:02 PM

can a registered dem vote in the repub primary?

Hi all, sorry if this has come up already in the forums...

I'm a democrat and I don't care whether Obama or Hillary get the nomination. Makes no difference to me. I DO care however who gets the republican nomination, and thus I want to be able to vote in that primary in my state (AZ). Is this allowed? Do I have to change my party affiliation to do so?

TIA

hmkpoker 11-05-2007 07:05 PM

Re: can a registered dem vote in the repub primary?

Yes, you do.

pvn 11-05-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all, sorry if this has come up already in the forums...

I'm a democrat and I don't care whether Obama or Hillary get the nomination. Makes no difference to me. I DO care however who gets the republican nomination, and thus I want to be able to vote in that primary in my state (AZ). Is this allowed? Do I have to change my party affiliation to do so?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies from state to state.

Just curious, are you wanting to vote for a particular Republican candidate because you want him to actually win the general election or do you want to vote for a guy who you think will be easier for a generic democrat to beat?

pr0crast 11-05-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, are you wanting to vote for a particular Republican candidate because you want him to actually win the general election or do you want to vote for a guy who you think will be easier for a generic democrat to beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not sure. I really want a democrat to win the general election, and I really don't want certain Republican candidates to win the general election. On the other hand, there is one Republican that I honestly wouldn't mind having as president. I actually kinda like the guy. But I'm not sure if I can quite get myself to vote for him in the general. Either way I'd be one happy camper come general election time if both choices were GOOD ones.

Also, I'm a democrat in a heavily red state, so the only way I can actually vote and have it mean anything is in the Republican primary. amirite?

Nonfiction 11-05-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way I'd be one happy camper come general election time if both choices were GOOD ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is impossible DUCY?

maxtower 11-05-2007 07:17 PM

I live in AZ and I changed my party affiliation to vote in the Rep. Primary, but I am not sure if you have to. It depends on the state. You can vote for whomever you want in the general election no matter your party affiliation.

TomCollins 11-05-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not sure. I really want a democrat to win the general election, and I really don't want certain Republican candidates to win the general election. On the other hand, there is one Republican that I honestly wouldn't mind having as president. I actually kinda like the guy. But I'm not sure if I can quite get myself to vote for him in the general. Either way I'd be one happy camper come general election time if both choices were GOOD ones.

Also, I'm a democrat in a heavily red state, so the only way I can actually vote and have it mean anything is in the Republican primary. amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Your vote means virtually nothing in the Republican primary as well. It's like the difference between getting hit by lightning or dying from a coconut falling on your head.

One Outer 11-05-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arizona isn't that heavily red. It's likely going to stay red but not by much. It's been trending closer to Democrats since '92 and next year is going to be a heavily Democratic year (hopefully). So your general election vote for a D is likely to matter, but not as much as if you lived in, say, Colorado.

Yeah, you have to change your registration.

pr0crast 11-05-2007 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Your vote means virtually nothing in the Republican primary as well. It's like the difference between getting hit by lightning or dying from a coconut falling on your head.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well aren't you the pessimist. Why vote at all then, ever? Obviously one vote is a drop in the bucket no matter who you vote for. But is the bucket overflowing already, or will one drop bring it that much closer to being full?

Dan. 11-05-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well aren't you the pessimist. Why vote at all then, ever? Obviously one vote is a drop in the bucket no matter who you vote for. But is the bucket overflowing already, or will one drop bring it that much closer to being full?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people here *don't* vote for just that reason.