Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Simple Question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506170)

Phil153 09-21-2007 12:12 PM

Simple Question

You have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. You raise pot preflop from UTG, one LP caller, blinds fold. The flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You're first to act

Which is preferable against an unknown opponent - betting or check-calling?

bbartlog 09-21-2007 12:17 PM

Re: Simple Question

Bet. Checking allows someone who has a backdoor low to get a free card, which you don't want.

Phat Mack 09-21-2007 12:48 PM

Betting gives you a chance to take it right there, and may give away less information about your hand.

Checking may be appropriate because you have draws, but no hand.

Of course, it depends on the game and the situation, but most of all the opponent. Does he like high cards? Does he give up on flops with one low card? How big of a hand does he need to make him aggressive?

edit: 'Unknown opponent." Have to work on my reading comprehension.

All things said, playing heads up in a limit game, I am usually going to bet in most situations.

sfgiants 09-21-2007 02:52 PM

I would bet as well, but I also wouldn't normally raise this hand UTG. I only play low stakes (1/2) though.

franknagaijr 09-21-2007 03:27 PM

There are only 12 unfavorable turn cards, right? (KKK, TTT, 666, 222) Seems like a clear bet or even a check-raise, and re-evaluate on the turn.

BradleyT 09-21-2007 04:16 PM

What is our stack to pot ratio?

sfgiants 09-21-2007 05:20 PM

Oh, just realized it was pot limit. Betting still seems like a better approach.

Buzz 09-21-2007 05:48 PM

Hi Phil - It's doubtful that your unknown opponent likes that particular flop very much. However, if you check, you probably won't much information. That is, even if your opponent doesn't like the flop, he might bet simply because he has position. And then if you call, figure you have 13 straight outs.

45-13=32. It's roughly five to two you won't make a straight on the turn.

You also have a back-door flush draw.

13/45 you make your straight on the turn
(7/45)*(19/44) you make a straight or flush on the river,
(25/45)*(13/44) you make a straight on the river.

(13/45)+(7/45)*(19/44)+(25/45)*(13/44)=
0.289+0.067+0.164 = 0.520.

I checked that with a 100000 run sim and got 52146 straights or flushes if played out. (Thus it checks).

Roughly slightly more than half the time, you figure to make a nut straight or nut flush on the turn or river. And you also win some back-door lows. (And there also are some other miscellaneous wins).

How do people in your games usually play when (1) you get heads-up, (2) the flop is a rainbow two high cards and one low card, and (3) you check from first position? Do they usually bet almost regardless of what cards they hold? If so, maybe you can trust your opponent to bet a hand he would fold it you bet yourself. Then you can call or raise.

On the other hand, if you bet and get raised, fine. You are ahead here, although that isn't evident unless you project to the showdown.

Yet at the same time, you're not far ahead enough to slow-play. I don't think you want to give your opponent a free card.

Since you're ahead, despite not actually even having a pair, I don't think you have anything to worry about, except how to maximize your profit on the hand.

How about betting half the pot?

(Keep in mind my experience is mostly in limit games).

Buzz

I dunno 09-21-2007 11:55 PM

Is this some kind of punk the forum post? I thought you had a reputation for being LAG.

franknagaijr 09-22-2007 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this some kind of punk the forum post? I thought you had a reputation for being LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is clearly some ulterior motive. Trick question somehow?