Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

mmbt0ne 02-05-2007 06:00 PM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

Does anyone know of any good, and preferably freeware, Quicken-type programs for tracking expenses and whatnot?

Also, in return I give you the greatest thing to happen to gigantic pictures on 2p2.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>javascript:maxwidth=800;pi=document.getEleme ntsByTagName
("img");for(var%20i=0;i&lt;=pi.length;i++){var%20a spectratio=
(pi.item(i).height/pi.item(i).width);if(pi.item(i).width&gt;maxwidth)
{pi.item(i).width=maxwidth;pi.item(i).height=aspec tratio*maxwidth;}}
</pre><hr />

Copy this, make it one line, make it a bookmark. Any time there is a thread with a gigantic picture, click the bookmark and it will resize every picture bigger than, in this case, 800 pixels wide. You can change the number to whatever you see fit.

Borodog 02-05-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tried gimp years ago and what I really disliked is that the interface seemed really obtuse. Or maybe it was just me being obtuse. In photoshop it always seemed really easy to figure out how to do stuff, but in gimp, I think I had a hell of a time drawing a circle.

Has the interface improved over the years?

[/ QUOTE ]

try paint.net. it's been mentioned, but not hyped. i only do simple crap, but i like it a lot better than gimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

astroglide 02-05-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of any good, and preferably freeware, Quicken-type programs for tracking expenses and whatnot?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could try acemoney lite

DrSavage 02-05-2007 06:21 PM

FAR manager

Maybe I'm just too old, but I can't imagine my life without this which is basically Norton Commander-like interface for working with files in Windows. Probably not the easiest piece of software to immediately pick up and use but it's very small frame, extremely fast and does pretty much anything, especially with many plugins available for all purposes. I have never been successful in converting normal people into using one but my life without it would be pretty much miserable.

Duke 02-05-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, in return I give you the greatest thing to happen to gigantic pictures on 2p2.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>javascript:maxwidth=800;pi=document.getEleme ntsByTagName
</pre><hr />

Copy this, make it one line, make it a bookmark. Any time there is a thread with a gigantic picture, click the bookmark and it will resize every picture bigger than, in this case, 800 pixels wide. You can change the number to whatever you see fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't need to specify the aspect ratio. Setting a width should get them scaling correctly (my greasemonkey script is similar, and I don't specify height at all).

jalexand42 02-05-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

</pre><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't need to specify the aspect ratio. Setting a width should get them scaling correctly (my greasemonkey script is similar, and I don't specify height at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

Source for your GM script plz? &lt;3 Greasemonkey.

Also, to contribute, I love TrayIt! for resident apps I don't want cluttering my toolbar.

KOTLP 02-06-2007 01:57 AM

Since I am in the process of converting all my CDs to FLAC (lossless), I'll add the following (all freeware):

FLAC
Exact Audio Copy (see this thread for help configuring EAC for FLAC)
Accurate Rip (helps ensure perfect rips)

Also, for anyone using a Roku SoundBridge, I highly recommend Firefly. It's open source, multi-platform, lightweight, and super fast.

udbrky 02-06-2007 02:02 AM

I decided to make the step when a reviewer said office 2007 docs wouldn't be readable in old offict.

You can save as 97-03 in the save as options.

Duke 02-06-2007 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

</pre><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Source for your GM script plz? &lt;3 Greasemonkey.

Also, to contribute, I love TrayIt! for resident apps I don't want cluttering my toolbar.

[/ QUOTE ] Duke's 2p2 greasemonkey script.

Marwan 02-06-2007 02:14 AM

I really like Nero for burning things.. I was able to split aand burn a movie my first time without really reading anything.. very easy to use