Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cost of exposed hole cards (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=433478)

TheWorstPlayer 06-22-2007 03:13 PM

Cost of exposed hole cards

In the other HSP online player thread, coltranedog wrote

[ QUOTE ]
They should just organize something on FTP where they schedule a higher buyin game have it run for X hours and then replay it the next day with the hole cards exposed on FTP. None of these guys has a personality that would make watching them play live on TV any more exciting than watching their avatars play on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

which made me think about the following situation:

What if FTP actually wanted to run that type of game and planned on incenting the players by paying them a fixed amount of money. So, basically, it's like a tourney with non-escalating blinds, where at the end of some time limit, everyone takes home their chips instead of having any set payout structure. So let's say they would play 300/600 with a 100K buyin for an hour. Play will start when the 6-handed table fills. The players have to play for the full hour (they get some significant monetary penalty for sitting out or whatever).

One week later, the full hour will be replayed publicly with everyone's hole cards exposed. How low do you think FTP would have to make the buyin to this event in order to fill the seats? E.g. with a 90K buyin, FTP would basically be paying each participant 10K to play in the event (since they only pay 90K but start with 100K chips). People could rebuy as many times as they want, with no discount (so rebuy 100K chips for $100K.)

Edit: For Yeti, cliff notes - how much would FTP have to pay people in order to play 300/600 NL for an hour if the game will be replayed publicly the following week with all hole cards exposed? Subtract that number from 100K and vote!

Yeti 06-22-2007 03:20 PM

Re: Cost of exposed hole cards

you worded this very weirdly.

TheWorstPlayer 06-22-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you worded this very weirdly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it unclear? I guess I could have explained it more simply, but I'm on a conference call at work and therefore distracted.

DFSPON 06-22-2007 03:39 PM

Test

Arito 06-22-2007 03:41 PM

I think pretty much any decent high stakes player would do this for 90K, because they are basically getting 10k for an hours work.

TheWorstPlayer 06-22-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think pretty much any decent high stakes player would do this for 90K, because they are basically getting 10k for an hours work.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're currently a winner in the game, wouldn't it only be to your disadvantage to show your opponents exactly how you play for an hour? Yes, you could play a non-standard game for an hour, but if it's suboptimal, it could easily cause you to blow through the 10K playing in that big a game for an hour...

RikaKazak 06-22-2007 03:47 PM

I'd do it for $20K [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Piece of Cake 06-22-2007 03:48 PM

As stands, do you think FT loses much business to Stars because of their current policy of exposing mucked hands at showdown to non-playing observers (i.e. or for that matter allowing datamining)? Would that change significantly if they started revealing mucked hands to observers in pre-showdown folds as well?

Granted this is not an insigificant difference, revealing complete preflop hand ranges, bluffs and big folds obvious adds a wealth to the value of datamining. I just wonder how much business a site would lose if they implemented this policy - even if they did so on a 24 hour delay?

eurythmech 06-22-2007 03:48 PM

If six people play, and the "buy-in" is 90k, how will FTP make $60k from this?

RikaKazak 06-22-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If six people play, and the "buy-in" is 90k, how will FTP make $60k from this?

[/ QUOTE ]

they can consider it an "advertising" expense