Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stoxpoker.com (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Bryce is "In the Well" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532331)

The Bryce 11-29-2007 12:26 AM

Re: Bryce is \"In the Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
why did you choose videos of yourself playing instead of just reviewing your sessions in poker tracker, as a learning tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

The audio commentary was often important to get a perspective on my thought processes, particularly with 6 max play which I couldn't do a linear review on in PT.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did you prefer FL to NL because there is more "information exchange?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest reason I ended up playing LHE over NL is that LHE is just what I started with. To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of 6-max LHE, but am even less of a fan of 6-max NL (3-4 handed for either is fine).

[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard of their bots and/or played against them? What are your thoughts on this research? Are you for it, against it, or neither?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of the research and have chatted with a guy from Poker Academy a bit. Poker research like this for academic purposes is great, of course (from an academic standpoint).

[ QUOTE ]
Bryce,
Can you please comment on which software tools you use to analyze hands? Did you write your own software or have somebody write stuff for you?

How long does it take you to "solve" a simple hand like: you have A3o in BB and call a good, agro 80-90% sb/bt opener and flop comes KQ8r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly a calculator [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] One thing I do a lot, though, is I use pokerstove to figure out how my opponent's range is weighted on a street and start from there. You can use the program to do things like find out how often your opponent has middle pair or better, for example, but you have to mess around with it a little. I'm currently working on a piece of software that will do a much better job of this.

Also, regarding the example, you're going to have to ask a way simpler question that that if you expect to get an answer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] For example, I could tell you what the optimal distribution of betting and giving up to betting and re-raising as a re-bluff would be, but there are a million directions a hand can head in (and they compound) so you really do have to just take it in small bites.

scorer 11-29-2007 04:49 AM

hey bryce, why do you prefer 3-4 hande over 6max...thanks

vmacosta 11-29-2007 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, regarding the example, you're going to have to ask a way simpler question that that if you expect to get an answer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] For example, I could tell you what the optimal distribution of betting and giving up to betting and re-raising as a re-bluff would be, but there are a million directions a hand can head in (and they compound) so you really do have to just take it in small bites.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, exactly my problem. So how do you approach this flop then? do you assume a flop action (cc seems reasonable) and solve for different turn+river combos? Obviously opponents' strategies are fluid IRL, but do you use a generic static strategy and try to find optimal line vs. that strat?

I ask because lately I've been working on this stuff a lot and it seems like it takes 10 man-hours just to code up the strategies and run a simulation whose results are just "meh". And that's when I have the hero c/c'ing the flop. If I wanna throw in different flop actions (like 30% c/r or something) the coding blows up to the point where I wanna just call it quits.

hehe, sorry for ranting in your thread--it really has been an excellent well and we are all lucky that you decided to return to it weeks after it was supposed to end.

Trix 11-29-2007 11:06 AM

What was your party screennames before oktober last year ?

DavidC 11-29-2007 01:08 PM

Hey man, I'm so glad this thread hasn't died yet. Thanks.

Um, and this is probably going to be my most useless question yet, but I appreciate weird knowledge, so I'm curious about this... anyways.

1) AA and KK, in a headsup match... do they make more or less than at a full ring table? I'm not sure, because your one opponent will give more action HU, but you don't have as many people to give you action as you would at a FR table, and also you'll get action from people with less outs HU than FR... anyways, curious.

2) Also: is EV AA / EV KK smaller at HU than FR? I'd assume so, since less people around to have Ax type hands and pairs win more HU.

Sorta silly questions, but I was thinking about it last night.

Thanks.

The Bryce 11-29-2007 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey bryce, why do you prefer 3-4 hande over 6max...thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

More action, more interaction, and because the hand ranges that you're dealing with are typically wider there are less trivial decisions.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, exactly my problem. So how do you approach this flop then? do you assume a flop action (cc seems reasonable) and solve for different turn+river combos? Obviously opponents' strategies are fluid IRL, but do you use a generic static strategy and try to find optimal line vs. that strat

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are two ways to look at poker questions. Firstly, you can approach them from an exploitative angle, meaning that you're going to try and find the line with the highest rate of return based on what you think your opponent is likely to do, which is generally pretty straightforward.

The other thing you can look at is an optimal solution, meaning that you take a particular question and find the line that would have the highest possible rate of return if your opponent played perfectly against your range (note: not your actual cards). Note that an "optimal" line will always have a lower rate of return than an exploitative line, so the term is a bit misleading. If you're wanting to get started with mathematical stuff you'll almost certainly start off in the exploitative area, and once you get pretty fluent with that "optimal" questions may start popping up out of curiosity. Finding optimal lines is not only extremely helpful in helping you understand the game and see where the money is actually going but also really helps you understand what the rates of return are like on manipulating your opponent's frequencies in information saturated environments, which can give you a killer edge.

[ QUOTE ]
What was your party screennames before oktober last year ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freedom25 and then no_hitlers when I switched the a new affiliate (the name is tasteless, but came from an inside joke). I only played on Party for around 2-3 months.

[ QUOTE ]
1) AA and KK, in a headsup match... do they make more or less than at a full ring table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. The average pot in a HU game is something like 4.5BB, whereas the average pot in a ring game is way larger. You'll win a ton of pots with AA and KK HU, but your average rate of return will be lower than in a ring game. I think this answers both your questions.

Tryptamean 11-30-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can use the program to do things like find out how often your opponent has middle pair or better, for example, but you have to mess around with it a little. I'm currently working on a piece of software that will do a much better job of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
when do you expect this to be completed? It sounds very interesting. I remember your video about how to calculate these things, but it did not sink in immediately and I got tired of pausing and rewinding the video to figure it out. Do you have any articles or forum posts that explain that process?

The Bryce 11-30-2007 08:14 PM

I did provide some quizzes to help people figure the process out, search the forums under "B100" if you're a premium subscriber.