Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Sit-n-gp, big hand, expecting multiple callers-go all in? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=413220)

Poker Clif 05-27-2007 03:22 PM

Sit-n-gp, big hand, expecting multiple callers-go all in?

How should I look at the following situation: Level one of a microlimit sit-n-go, and it's obvious from the first hand that most of the table is looking for a situation to get their money in. Hand number three, I'm on the button with KK. By the time it gets to me, only one player has folded, and it's 10 big blinds to me. If I go all in, I think I might get called with as little as any pair, Ax, any two high cards, and maybe even Kx, Qx, or other hands. I think it's probzbly about a 50% situation for me, but it's been too few hands to get any real reads to make a good estimate.

If I win of course, I've tripled up or more, and I'm pretty much a lock to cash, and a decent chance to win the SNG. If I'm lose, I'm out in 5 minutes--in hourly rate terms, that's pretty bad.

Comments please?

mmbossman 05-27-2007 04:41 PM

Re: Sit-n-gp, big hand, expecting multiple callers-go all in?

Push, push push! You're only losing to AA, and the way you've described the table, it's likely that there are at least a couple who are spewing their chips w/ A5o or something equally hideous, which means they're there will be a reduced # of cards that beat you. As HoH says, you only have a limited time to accumulate chips, and this looks like as good of a time as any. If you get outdrawn, that's just the breaks sometimes.

Cloodie 05-27-2007 06:56 PM

Never fold KK preflop. If you're not willing to push with that hand then you shouldn't be playing poker.

Kal With A K 05-27-2007 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never fold KK preflop. If you're not willing to push with that hand then you shouldn't be playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be noted that, if you have an extremely good read on another opponent, and he raises all in, and you put him in AA, you can fold.

But your read must be GREAT.

MrX5000 05-28-2007 01:52 AM

it's micro limit...push. Even if you're multiway, you're getting the right odds.

Get pokerstove. This will help you go through some scenerios like this.

Kal With A K 05-28-2007 02:08 AM

The limits aren't important. If you're playing in stakes where the blinds are too low for you to appreciate your stack, you shouldn't be playing.

MrX5000 05-28-2007 03:15 AM

I agree with you but for the rare occasion that you think you're up against aces, considering the limits, You can't be sure that any read you have is good enough to place someone on aces. It's micro and there's simply more people playing incorrectly.

petsa 05-28-2007 04:16 AM

Aces are not the biggest threat. It is more common that someone gets trips, two pairs, straight or flush, when having a multiway all in.

Pokerstove says KK is a favourite against
- 1 random hand 82 %
- 2 random hands 67%
- 3 random hands 59%

I.e. if you have four opponents in a multiway pot, you win about half the times against random hands.

I'm not sure if pre-flop all in is the only way to play KK. I think one could just put in a standard raise preflop but just call the re-raises. If the flop is horrible - say A with flush and straight draws - mentally prepare to throw your KK away, if the opponents re-raise your c-bet.

My SNG in the money percentages suck. I wonder if that has something to do with me being a bit trigger-happy when I get a monster hand.

Khaos4k 05-28-2007 03:54 PM

petsa,

It is much more likely for more people to FOLD if you open push, rather than a re-raising war. With nothing invested, ppl will throw their hands away, and you will get 1, maybe 2 callers. Once they start putting their chips in, they feel invested in the pot, and will likely not fold, thus giving you 3 hands to beat.

Also, tripling up or quadrupling up with greater than 50% equity is ridiculously good EV, one that you should not turn down. Fold because someone has a better hand than you, not because you might get knocked out.

petsa 05-29-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
petsa,

It is much more likely for more people to FOLD if you open push, rather than a re-raising war. With nothing invested, ppl will throw their hands away, and you will get 1, maybe 2 callers. Once they start putting their chips in, they feel invested in the pot, and will likely not fold, thus giving you 3 hands to beat.

Also, tripling up or quadrupling up with greater than 50% equity is ridiculously good EV, one that you should not turn down. Fold because someone has a better hand than you, not because you might get knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. I agree. At least now that I have done some homework:) I visited one very good thread on this at MTT Strategy via the Anthology list of good threads: http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import