Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Proper tip for a caddie (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442052)

jmremote 07-03-2007 01:48 PM

Proper tip for a caddie

Playing a round tomorrow at a private club ($220 a round) what is the proper tip for a caddie

duvalin 07-03-2007 01:59 PM

Re: Proper tip for a caddie

Do not stand behind when your swinging.

jmremote 07-03-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not stand behind when your swinging.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://neowin.net/forum/fun/not_funny.jpg

esad 07-03-2007 02:09 PM

Tipping at the Golf Course

maxpower72 07-03-2007 02:11 PM

I normally ask the member in the group (I assume since it is a private club a member has asked you to play and will be playing with you) what the caddie costs, for the round normally $50 - $100. Then I would tip anywher from 0% (has never happened caddies know how they make their money) to 100% of the fee, depending on how good the service was.

HDPM 07-03-2007 02:12 PM

How much is the caddie? I would go at least 50% probably. Last summer I played a private course where the caddies were $30 and tips were about 20 for a good job. I just paid him with 3 20's. Also, how does it work with your host? I would bring plenty of cash and offer to pay his caddie as well, or pay if you share etc.... He might not let you, might have to sign, etc.. but I would come with cash. Also you may not want to way over tip. Some places don't like that. if you can you could also discretely ask a pro in the shop about how they do things.

Evan 07-03-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can you could also discretely ask a pro in the shop about how they do things.

[/ QUOTE ]I think a lot of the time they won't really be able to help you. Worst case scenario is they give you wrong information thinking it's right. I know at the course I used to caddie at the pro shop staff would have often not been able to tell someone the proper amount.

I think the best answer is to ask the person you're playing with. If you can't, for whatever reason, ask the caddie master.

Brooklyn 07-03-2007 04:34 PM

Unless the round includes a caddie in the cost (does it?), your tip should not be based on the cost of the round, but the cost of the caddie. I caddied for 6 years at a super private/Open course back in my high school days, and the price of a caddie was $60 for a B Caddie (first year), $80 for an A Caddie (a good young caddie, or a bad old one), and $100 for a Top Caddie (top 5 caddie at the club).

Personally I think how much depends on how the round went. If your caddie is carrying 2 bags and you and the other guy are constantly on separate sides of the fairways, then you should each tip 15-20% for making his day miserable. If you have a single and he helps you nail a few putts, or is really good with your club selection (though this should not be expected), then 25-30% is good.

An exceptional caddie will clue you in on every hole, tell you the 'member secrets', like how far you should hit your tee shot to be in perfect position on that nasty dog leg, or which way the green mysterily breaks if it looks like it's going straight. He'll help you with club selection, reading greens, and maybe even where to go for the 19th hole. 25-50% Tip

An average caddie will basically just be there to carry your bag. He'll do what you ask, but only when you ask for it, and doesn't really go the extra mile. 15-20%

A bad caddie will be similar to an average caddie, but obviously worse. He'll make noise, or make distracting movements in your backswing. May constantly lose track of where your ball goes. No tip.

Brooklyn 07-03-2007 04:37 PM

Also, never ever tip forecaddies. Those [censored].

HDPM 07-03-2007 05:35 PM

This surprises me. What were the guys in the shop thinking/doing? I guess it is different various places.