Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Questions for Pats fans (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535172)

Golden_Rhino 10-31-2007 05:12 AM

Questions for Pats fans

I promise, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but is it fun?

Is it fun watching your team steamroll the opposition?
Wouldn't you prefer to watch some close games?
Was watching the first good Pats team more fun than this?

I ask because I am a fan of teams that have had varying degrees of success (Leafs, Packers, Raptors and Jays). The Packers and Jays have won championships, but it would be a stretch to say that they were dominant and just pwned everyone they played.

Vyse 10-31-2007 05:25 AM

Re: Questions for Pats fans

I'm thinking it may not be fun this Sunday.

WhoIam 10-31-2007 06:46 AM

Watching your team destroy another one is fun for you but boring for other people.

kolotoure 10-31-2007 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching your team destroy another one is fun for you but boring for other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

splashpot 10-31-2007 07:13 AM

It's fun. I'm laughing my ass off every time Brady scores a td. But these games aren't gonna go down as classics. I'm not gonna look back and think "man, that was an awesome game", like I do with the 2001 post season games.

dlk9s 10-31-2007 07:47 AM

Anyone who wants their team to play in close games is a masochist.

To correct you, Rhino, the Packers did dominate everyone in 1996 (aside from the 3 losses). In their 13 wins, their average margin of victory was 21+, which I think I heard (can't find the stats to back it up) was the largest average margin of victory in NFL history. Their average margin of victory in the playoffs was 17+.

I'm a Packers fan and I enjoyed every second.

vhawk01 10-31-2007 08:44 AM

Man I remember being a Vikings fan in 1998 and [censored] yes it was fun, it was amazing. NFCCG was close and much less fun.

bottomset 10-31-2007 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I remember being a Vikings fan in 1998 and [censored] yes it was fun, it was amazing. NFCCG was close and much less fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

less fun because the kicker chose one of the 2close games they played that year to miss a fg instead of missing in one of their blowouts

MikeyPatriot 10-31-2007 08:58 AM

Not a Pats fan, enjoy watching them trounce teams.

daryn 10-31-2007 09:16 AM

it's cool but yeah watching some games is kinda boring honestly. this is the only season it's really been boring to watch some of the games. i mean i was looking foward to dallas and i'm puped for the colts. it's not all boring. not like i'm complaining either.

as splashpot said the other seasons were full of great games. for a while there the pats would always find a way to win every week but it was close all the time.

Toro 10-31-2007 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I promise, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but is it fun?

Is it fun watching your team steamroll the opposition? Not really
Wouldn't you prefer to watch some close games? Yes
Was watching the first good Pats team more fun than this? Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

bottomset 10-31-2007 09:27 AM

Dallas was leading with 5 to go in the 3rd right?

before getting stomped in the late3rd/4th

capone0 10-31-2007 09:27 AM

As a fan I think I prefer my team to steamroll, less worrying. As a 2ndary observer, I of course want an exciting close game. This year has been lacking for that to say the least.

kylephilly 10-31-2007 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching your team destroy another one is fun for you but boring for people who don't have Tom Brady in fantasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love watching the Pats (used to hate them, I'm an Eagles fan) but now that Brady is 2 of my 3 FF teams I just pray they put his game on nationally.

Toro 10-31-2007 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that was the only time all year that the Pats trailed in a game.

splashpot 10-31-2007 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that was the only time all year that the Pats trailed in a game.

[/ QUOTE ]
We trailed Buffalo for almost a full quarter.

kyro 10-31-2007 10:18 AM

It's more fun than being a fan of an opposing team, that's for sure.

NT! 10-31-2007 11:25 AM

yes it's fun.

we boston-area fans have had a lot of experience with nailbiters and comebacks and really tight spots. i have watched so many god damn playoff games, between the pats, red sox, etc, that it is hard on my nerves. having watched the pats for a long time, it is exciting to see my favorite players just putting a beating on people. it will probably get boring eventually, but not so long as there's a shot at so many single-season records.

if the pats lose this week, a week 12 blowout when they've already clinched the division will obviously become less interesting. but in the meantime, bring the [censored] pain

NozeCandy 10-31-2007 12:02 PM

Not a huge Pats fan, but still enjoy watching merciless beatdowns. They happen far too rarely for me not to enjoy.

ASPoker8 10-31-2007 12:15 PM

its amazing

boston > all

MikeyPatriot 10-31-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we boston-area fans have had a lot of experience with nailbiters and comebacks and really tight spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely something only Boston-area fans can relate to, LDO.

NT! 10-31-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we boston-area fans have had a lot of experience with nailbiters and comebacks and really tight spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely something only Boston-area fans can relate to, LDO.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm not really trying to say this, i guess what i mean is, i just feel like i have watched a ton of close, important games in the last few years, and it does start to wear on you eventually. with all the hype comes a lot of stress.

Golden_Rhino 10-31-2007 01:23 PM

Well, you know the teams I cheer for, and I would kill for some nailbiting action.

MikeyPatriot 10-31-2007 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i'm not really trying to say this, i guess what i mean is, i just feel like i have watched a ton of close, important games in the last few years, and it does start to wear on you eventually. with all the hype comes a lot of stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you weren't trying to say that, and I'm not trying to pick you out personally. I just feel like it's a very silly thing people say all the time. Every fan in a city with any major sports franchises or universities deals with "stressful" games. It's what goes with being a fan.

Fans of certain teams or from certain cities (usually habitual losers) seem to be worse than others - Cubs, Philadelphia, etc.

T-God 10-31-2007 01:34 PM

OP: I love it.

Follow up question for pats fans: Does anyone else buy into Brady and BB's attitudes that every game is tough? I keep finding myself worried about Washington or Buffalo. I'm rarely really confident going in to any game.

Maybe that's why it's not boring for me to see them kick so much ass all the time.

NajdorfDefense 10-31-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its amazing

boston > all in rioting and setting cars on fire

[/ QUOTE ]

MDoranD 10-31-2007 01:42 PM

huge Pats fan.

This season is just extraordinary. Not having had to "stress" over the games has been a huge luxury.

Each week i watch each and every play, feeling like it took 25+ years of being a Pats fan to finally see it culminate into something truly incredible. On the other hand, I know that this dominance is but for a brief spell of my life, which reinforces to me how i need to cherish every single game, and just hope i can remember how it felt.

Golden_Rhino 10-31-2007 01:44 PM

Follow up question:

How long would it have to go on for before you got bored of it?

splashpot 10-31-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Follow up question:

How long would it have to go on for before you got bored of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
The second year of absolute dominance wouldn't be as much fun. Pretty much after they claim the title of "Greatest Team Ever" there isn't as much to play for. Sure, it'd still be fun to see how big their legacy would grow, but the excitement would start to taper off.

TMTTR 10-31-2007 02:27 PM

Not a pats fan, but I think that Brady and BB are risking a cheap shot at some point in the coming weeks from a linebacker that takes the extra -- and arguably gratuitous -- scoring in the final minutes of the game personally...

kyro 10-31-2007 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a pats fan, but I think that Brady and BB are risking a cheap shot at some point in the coming weeks from a linebacker that takes the extra -- and arguably gratuitous -- scoring in the final minutes of the game personally...

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been discussed in depth in the other thread

splashpot 10-31-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It also has absolutely no relevance to this topic.

Jay Riall 10-31-2007 04:29 PM

Not a Pats fan but I love watching them kick the [censored] out of teams. Why would you not like seeing Moss plucking balls out of the air with double coverage, Brady making sick accurate passes and ammasing monster drives every game etc etc. It's exciting as [censored] to watch. I imagine it would get boring if it goes on too long though.

jstnrgrs 10-31-2007 08:07 PM

I don't think anything in sports will ever be as fun as watching the 2001 Pats. I do enjoy the current team, and I am rooting for them to be the best team ever.

I would prefer to watch closer games, but that doesn't mean that I want to Pats to let up at all. I just wish another team would rise to the Pats' level. Perhaps this week.

jstnrgrs 10-31-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: I love it.

Follow up question for pats fans: Does anyone else buy into Brady and BB's attitudes that every game is tough? I keep finding myself worried about Washington or Buffalo. I'm rarely really confident going in to any game.

Maybe that's why it's not boring for me to see them kick so much ass all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's tough in the sense that if they don't work hard to prepare, they will loose to anyone in the league, but I don't find myself worying about mediocre teams.

TMTTR 10-31-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it has been discussed, that's fine and it need not be discussed again. I didn't read the other thread.

It is very relevant. If you enjoy watching your team blow out every other team, the next question is whether doing so brings any additional risk.

Interestingly, it is your posting that mine has no relevance that is irrelevant. Do you see why?

Anyway -- I am hoping for a good tight game this weekend and don't care who wins.

hoyasnaxa 10-31-2007 10:39 PM

Its fun cuz Boston fans all suck. Lets go Colts.

splashpot 10-31-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it has been discussed, that's fine and it need not be discussed again. I didn't read the other thread.

It is very relevant. If you enjoy watching your team blow out every other team, the next question is whether doing so brings any additional risk.

Interestingly, it is your posting that mine has no relevance that is irrelevant. Do you see why?

Anyway -- I am hoping for a good tight game this weekend and don't care who wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yea, well you pointing out that my post is irrelevant is irrelevant.

Seriously though, the topic is whether blowouts are boring or not. Arguing that they are is relevant, arguing that they are not is relevant. Debating whether or not they should be blowing teams out is A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC and not relevant to this one.

TMTTR 11-01-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, the topic is whether blowouts are boring or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh. No it's not. The OP is a little broader than that... certainly he asks if it is "fun" but broadens it by asking whether you would rather see close games.

Anyway, if threads in this forum ever stayed strictly to the OP's intent... well, we would have a lot less posts here.

Either way, I end my part of the hijack here.

splashpot 11-01-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, the topic is whether blowouts are boring or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh. No it's not. The OP is a little broader than that... certainly he asks if it is "fun" but broadens it by asking whether you would rather see close games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh. That's the same thing. He doesn't broaden [censored]. Either you think they're fun or you think they're boring and would rather see close games. Your original comment has nothing to do with the enjoyability of blowouts, thus off topic.

I win.