Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lloyd Carr Retiring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544431)

johnnylovescandy 11-12-2007 04:52 PM

Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

I'd like to see Michigan hire Lou Holtz as next head football coach.

luckybacon 11-12-2007 05:00 PM

I hope the hire Les Miles so bad, one because I dont like Michigan and Les Miles is such an overrated coach [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pvn 11-12-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/180*197/les+miles_081606.jpg[/img]

C'mon buddy, you know you want to come here!

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm sure tOSU fans are drooling at the thought of this, SEC fans everywhere are crying on the inside. LSU boosters, PLEASE delay your next double-wide purchase and contribute to giving Les a Scrooge-McSaban-sized bag of money to convince him to stay!!!

DVaut1 11-12-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I'm sure tOSU fans are drooling at the thought of this

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles can't be any worse than Lloyd, so I suspect OSU fans are indifferent. If the "Miles is a total luckbox donk" narrative is true, that still makes him the equivalent of Lloyd, who (I think) everyone agrees isn't a great coach.

NozeCandy 11-12-2007 05:19 PM

Say what you want about Les Miles, but nobody else in the Big 10 should be happy about Michigan having an incredibly aggressive, modern coach. Sure he makes some blunders, but he does not error on the side of passivity like Lloyd does, which is very preferable.

Gregatron 11-12-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know Miles is often dumb and tries to call timeouts when the ball changes possession and makes alot of questionable/batshit decisions, but he has a track record of hiring competent assistants.

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys just don't understand Miles. He has done something no other coach has ever done: he has taken the concept of being *clutch*, and applied it to coaching.

Bow down bitches!

http://images.dawgsports.com/images/...ke_a_dufus.jpg

Terrabon98 11-12-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say what you want about Les Miles, but nobody else in the Big 10 should be happy about Michigan having an incredibly aggressive, modern coach. Sure he makes some blunders, but he does not error on the side of passivity like Lloyd does, which is very preferable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am pretty sure OSU and everyone else in the Big Ten would be pretty unhappy if Miles came. Regardless of what you think of Miles, he is clearly not an awful coach, and Lloyd has been pretty bad. Michigan has gotten by on superior talent for the most part.

Also, thanks DVaut for stealing my thunder! I am at work, saw this on mgoblog, freaked out, told all my roomies, and then came here to post, only to find there were already a dozen responses! I am never the first to know...

However, also heard a lot of rumors that Miles is on bad terms with UM AD and football team due to things he said regarding Lloyd's failing health to potential recruits, etc. which Michigan viewed as a breach of trust and a slap in the face for a program that has done a lot for Miles. Problem is, outside of Miles, I cannot think of any good candidates. Please no Mike DeBord

One of the reasons I have never minded Carr TOO MUCH is that you always knew what you were getting with him. Not a great, dynamic coach, but someone who kept the program on steady ground, always had good (but not great) seasons, and had unflinching loyalty to the program. You never needed to worry about him tanking the football team or bolting a la Saban for another school. Miles may be more erratic, but at least he has that loyalty

I think Michigan history will look very favorably upon Carr's tenure.

DVaut1 11-12-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, also heard a lot of rumors that Miles is on bad terms with UM AD and football team due to things he said regarding Lloyd's failing health to potential recruits, etc. which Michigan viewed as a breach of trust and a slap in the face for a program that has done a lot for Miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bo always liked him, but it's a not-closely-guarded-secret that the current powers in the Michigan football program have little love for Les (alliteration ftw).

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is, outside of Miles, I cannot think of any good candidates. Please no Mike DeBord

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Outside of unlikely dream candidates who have literally no chance of coming, Miles is at the top of the list IMO. And yeah, he wants the job and would probably not use it as a stepping stone to other jobs.

I consider Schiano and Brian Kelly second-tier candidates. Now, if they make a play for Tedford or something, I obviously won't be upset -- but I consider that unlikely. I think Miles is the best available option among the candidates oft-mentioned for the job; so even if he is a luckbox donk moron, that's pretty equivalent to Carr, who's hopelessly devoted to Cold-War era football and terrible coordinators and their terrible schemes like DeBord. Given Miles loves Michigan and really wants the job, that puts him above the frequently named-contenders.

As I said, if some unlikely dream candidate expresses interest in the job -- or if Bill Martin wants to drive the Michigan Money Truck up to Dream Candidate X's lawn and asks them to hop on board, then I reserve the right to change my mind.

But if the potential candidates are the DeBords, Ferentzs, Kellys, Schianos, and Ron Englishs of the world, then give me Miles.

ADLinden 11-12-2007 05:53 PM

As an OSU fan I do not want this to happen because they might find a coach who can beat Tressel. I like it how it is now...

BigSoonerFan 11-12-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the hire Les Miles so bad, one because I dont like Michigan and Les Miles is such an overrated coach [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he doesn't have to be that good. It is the Big Ten! :-)