Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   renting an apartment without a "real" job (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376311)

Fingerswinger 04-11-2007 06:59 PM

renting an apartment without a \"real\" job

i guess i am not the first one to face this problem:
i am not a student anymore and play poker for a living. i'm about to rent an apartment and have to tell the landlord (is this the word?) what i do for a living and how much i earn per month.

anybody had the same problem before? did you lie about your "profession"? should i just guess an average income?

would really like to hear your experiences.

btw: i live in europe if it matters, i guess formalities when renting an apartment might be different in other parts of the world.

arod18 04-11-2007 08:35 PM

Re: renting an apartment without a \"real\" job

[ QUOTE ]

btw: i live in europe if it matters, i guess formalities when renting an apartment might be different in other parts of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, here in the U.S. poker is a widely accepted 'profession'.

Edge34 04-11-2007 10:24 PM

I think 6 months rent upfront (in cash) should do the trick.

Or bank statements showing consistent income.

I like the first option, preferably brought to landlord in burlap bags with "$$" on them. Small bills only.

Thremp 04-11-2007 10:25 PM

Fingers,

Here in our country lying is frowned upon, a long with archaic practices such as beating your wife.

onlinebeginner 04-12-2007 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 6 months rent upfront (in cash) should do the trick.

Or bank statements showing consistent income.

I like the first option, preferably brought to landlord in burlap bags with "$$" on them. Small bills only.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did this with four months rent and without a job and it worked fine ... how old are you... if your young you can say i'm planning on going back to school next semester (at a nearby university) and pay a bunch of months upfront so that they know u gots da monies

onlinebeginner 04-12-2007 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, here in the U.S. poker is a widely accepted 'profession'.

[/ QUOTE ]

completely meaningless sarcasm

AWESOME

Bill King 04-17-2007 06:04 PM

WTF?

you dont have to tell your landlord what you do and how much you make LOL.. thats invasion of privacy.

and if they have a problem with that tell them you'll coinflip them for their yearly salary.. that always works

captZEEbo 04-18-2007 08:54 AM

I needed to put down 6 mo's rent or get a cosigner of my parents so I just opted 6 mo's rent.

dustyn 04-18-2007 01:00 PM

All I've ever done was show either bank statements or last years tax return proving I can afford the place. It's never been a problem and I've never actually ever had to say what I do, just that I have the money and can afford it.