Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Mathematics of poker by Bill Chen & some dude... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=538469)

AsH_KeTcHuM 11-04-2007 08:19 PM

The Mathematics of poker by Bill Chen & some dude...

anyone read this book? whats the word yo?

Paul McSwizzle 11-04-2007 08:22 PM

Re: The Mathematics of poker by Bill Chen & some dude...

It is excellent. You want to post this in "Books and Publications." Or better yet, search Books and Publications, there is plenty on it.

stinkypete 11-04-2007 08:24 PM

theres a lot of math in it so if you like math its cool

MicroBob 11-04-2007 08:27 PM

there's also a lot of poker in it.
I consider it to be a very correctly titled book....yo.

stinkypete 11-04-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's also a lot of poker in it.
I consider it to be a very correctly titled book....yo.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this review

AsH_KeTcHuM 11-04-2007 08:42 PM

sorry i didnt know about this forum or that there was a 20 page post on it already

TIGERsrm 11-04-2007 08:53 PM

Can someone who's "not so hot" on the math side of things still get something out of this book? Will it be worth a read even though I would have to skip the majority of the mathamatical text which looks like japanese to me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

MicroBob 11-04-2007 09:07 PM

I'm enjoying it a lot and don't consider myself to be very good at math nor do I pay much attention to the specific calculations. I also feel they might as well have printed some of that stuff in a different language as far as I'm concerned. But there's more than enough simple meat in there to still make it worthwhile and they mostly just throw in the equattions and calculations for those who care and for completeness.
You don't even need to bother trying to figure out the calculations since the text usually gets the general point across anyway.

1968 11-04-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone who's "not so hot" on the math side of things still get something out of this book? Will it be worth a read even though I would have to skip the majority of the mathamatical text which looks like japanese to me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
all the maths is explained very well. there is no prior knowledge needed.. probability is like the easiest branch of maths- its really not that hard to pick up..

SuperUberBob 11-04-2007 11:35 PM

It's like reading a textbook. Lots of pages containing really small text.

No thanks. Probably a good book, but I'm not interested in it.