Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Killer Poker Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526398)

Ardbear 10-19-2007 06:53 AM

Killer Poker Shorthanded

Has anybody read this book by John Vorhaus yet? There's only one so-so review on amazon, so I'd like to get some more info.

And please add WHY you liked it. Stuff like "all Killer Poker books suck" doesn't really help me much. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

AKoffsuit 10-19-2007 08:46 AM

Re: Killer Poker Shorthanded

There are a few pages of it on JV's page
i haven't received it yet
www.vorza.com/killer_poker_shorthanded.html

Ardbear 10-22-2007 08:40 AM

Thanks for the link! Looks like you aren't the only one who hasn't received it yet... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Doc T River 10-22-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody read this book by John Vorhaus yet? There's only one so-so review on amazon, so I'd like to get some more info.

And please add WHY you liked it. Stuff like "all Killer Poker books suck" doesn't really help me much. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this book on my shelf and will get around to reading it sometime. Probably around the same time that Daniel Negreanu gets done with his Power Hold'Em book.

BlueSmurf 10-23-2007 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have this book on my shelf and will get around to reading it sometime. Probably around the same time that Daniel Negreanu gets done with his Power Hold'Em book

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard they pushed Negreanu's book back, then forward, then back, then more back, then forward, then way back and some more back, then back, slightly forward and now back again. It should hit the shelves in time for Xmas 2023 (unless it's pushed forward or back, but that probably won't happen).

I kinda like the killer poker books. They're a nice change from 2+2's outrageously boring style, and I admit I flat out enjoy Vorhaus' writing. That being said, pick up a few nuggets on the mental side of things, because actual poker strategy should be studied in the 2+2 or DB tomes. As Vorhaus states in Killer Poker No Limit: "I understand Sklansky about as well as Sanskrit" (or something to that effect) - and it shows. Taken for what they are, guides to develop the right mind set, I think they're good. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Smurf

BigBuffet 10-25-2007 10:41 PM

His books get better each time. This book is a great book because it explains SH strategy without the 2+2 pedantics.

JV explains how to play SH cash games, six player types and how to play each of them in various positions, various MTT and STT SH scenarios, and HU scenarios.

There is a quiz at the end of each chapter. The answers serve as a chapter review.

There is no fill-in-the-blank questions or journals to write like he has in some earlier books.

His writing style is down-to-earth and funny. One quote is a good example "Poker is like hash brownies. You get out what you put in".

You will learn a great deal about SH play from the book. You will also read some things you know, but that will be a good review. You will also see some tricks in the book that you (like me) have figured out from experience, and seeing it in the book is a good validation of those tricks.

I highly recommend KP SH.

Albert Moulton 10-26-2007 03:45 PM

I just bought Killer Poker Shorthanded over the weekend while I was under mandatory evacuation because of the So. Cal. fires.

I'm on p. 140 out of 279.

It is the only book I've found that specifically addresses short handed cash games in general, and 6-max play in particular.

So far, I've learned a lot. I'm glad I bought it.

I'll tell you more when I finish it in a few days now that I'm back at home (and safe).

Wagering War 10-26-2007 09:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, Albert. Hope everything works out for you and your poker takes off so that you get some positives out of a bad situation.

Doc T River 10-27-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His books get better each time. This book is a great book because it explains SH strategy without the 2+2 pedantics.

JV explains how to play SH cash games, six player types and how to play each of them in various positions, various MTT and STT SH scenarios, and HU scenarios.

There is a quiz at the end of each chapter. The answers serve as a chapter review.

There is no fill-in-the-blank questions or journals to write like he has in some earlier books.

His writing style is down-to-earth and funny. One quote is a good example "Poker is like hash brownies . You get out what you put in".

You will learn a great deal about SH play from the book. You will also read some things you know, but that will be a good review. You will also see some tricks in the book that you (like me) have figured out from experience, and seeing it in the book is a good validation of those tricks.

I highly recommend KP SH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard of hash browns (and eaten them) and I have heard of hashish brownies (although never had any), but never hash brownies.

doublec 10-27-2007 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but never hash brownies

[/ QUOTE ]It's a very common term. Especially in other countries. Google for it and you'll see plenty of references.