Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New dealer makes rake mistake... call floor? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=431551)

PokerFink 06-20-2007 06:49 AM

New dealer makes rake mistake... call floor?

Venetian last night. 2/5 NL full game. The game is raked, 1 on 10, 1 on 20, 1 on 50 and 1 on 90 (great rake). No flop, no drop.

The dealer is one of the many temporary dealers they hired for the deepstack extravaganza. One player limps in, I make my standard $25 raise, everyone folds. So the pot is $17 (BB + SB + limp + my 5). The dealer pushes me the pot and there are no white chips. I figure she forgot to make change for the SB, so I grab three whites to toss to him when I realize I was pushed only $35 (my own 25 + BB + limp).

I look at the dealer and ask where the other two dollars are. She says right here, points to the drop thingy, and then drops them. I ask her why she dropped, and she says the pot was over 20 and that means $2 drop. I say "no flop, no drop" and she looks at me like I'm speaking gibberish. One of the other players repeats, "no flop no drop" but she still doesn't understand.

(Note that not only did she drop when she shouldn't have, she even miscalculated the pot and dropped too much.)

She is about to be pushed, so she turns to the dealer behind her and asks what is going on. That dealer explains that if there is no flop, she should not take any rake. She nods and stands up to move to the next table.

Do I slow up the game to call the floor over my missing $2? (Not to mention whatever other money she dropped during the half that she shouldn't have?)

mrkilla 06-20-2007 07:38 AM

Re: New dealer makes rake mistake... call floor?

stop game call floor if you want your 2 bucks back. Also do you always tip 10%? if so can I deal to you :P

Don Olney 06-20-2007 07:44 AM

At the "V" when this happens they will short drop the next drop. No guaranty you will win the next hand and receive the $2.00 back.

NickMPK 06-20-2007 09:39 AM

Yes, I would absolutely call the floor. If the dealer was actually clueless and consistantly over-raking the pot, she should be fired. Even if there wasn't "no flop, no drop", she should have only raked $1, right?

I have seen dealers called out for making a rake mistake before, and they have always just taken a dollar out of the rack and given to the player. But I think there is a big difference between making a mistake in calculating the pot, and not knowing the basic rules for how much to rake.

pig4bill 06-20-2007 12:18 PM

I've seen a dealer make a rake mistake and call the floor himself without hesitation. IIRC they made it up on the next pot and the winner tossed the extra chip to the guy that was shorted.

TMTTR 06-20-2007 01:46 PM

Definitely call the floor. You should be refunded the $2 out of the next rake before it is dropped, but even if they don't do that, it is important that the bad dealer be corrected and that supervision be aware of the problem.

otter 06-20-2007 03:20 PM

yep, call the floor

bav 06-20-2007 03:56 PM

That's one of those where I might just leave it alone and let the dealer go tokeless. Basically "that was your toke that you dropped--if you want the $2 we can call the floor" and let the dealer fight the floor if he thinks it's worth it for $2. Odds are good the dealer will prefer to just be silent and not call attention to his error. When I've seen folks throw a fit over this sorta thing, I think at least half the time the dealer will just pull $1 or $2 outta his pocket to pay the player--I imagine they figure it's worth $2 to avoid having the boss hear the tale.

pfapfap 06-20-2007 04:44 PM

When I first started dealing, I can remember throwing a chip or two peoples' way for such errors. While dealing is a fairly easy job, there are still a lot of little things to keep track of, which can be a bit much for a new dealer who may not be intimately familiar with the game. This is certainly not something over which to make a stink, and shaming or belittling the dealer won't help either. It just sucks in an incredibly mild way relative to everything else that sucks in the world. Shrug it off. Find the dealer on a break and suggest she talk to her dealer captain about drop procedure.

These days, if I was being pushed, I'd just give the chips to make it easy and spread happy karma. It's only two bucks, and I'm responsible for my errors. If I was dealing the next hand, I drop less and give the extra to the OP.

TMTTR 06-20-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is certainly not something over which to make a stink, and shaming or belittling the dealer won't help either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the story, it appears that this is not an isolated mistake. This is the dealer misunderstanding the rake in a manner that is costing players money. If you raise the issue, it is not to shame the dealer but to protect all of the players in the game. If the dealer takes a couple of dollars she shouldn't from every preflop win (and miscounts the pots to the disadvantage of the players), it could add up to a significant amount of money off the table over the course of the evening. (I won't try to make an accurate estimate, but $75 to $100 certainly seems possible.)