Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Screen Writers Guild Strike? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537053)

Blarg 11-08-2007 11:03 PM

Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

If they're anything like the writing classes you get in college, it's pure luck of the draw whether you'll have even one halfway competent writer in the group. Having your stuff reviewed by random people can be a huge waste of time.

Not putting down all groups, just saying it's still a matter of bucking the odds.

RunDownHouse 11-09-2007 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddly appropos interview with Harlan Ellison.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apropos in that he's not seeing a cent from that youtube link?

Los Feliz Slim 11-09-2007 04:57 PM

Here's a link to a pretty good little video that simply explains the writers' position.

Foghatlive 11-10-2007 12:41 PM

Let's say you got a script to a production company. They like it, and say they'll buy it after the strike is over. Would that be considered scabbing?

Dominic 11-10-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you got a script to a production company. They like it, and say they'll buy it after the strike is over. Would that be considered scabbing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a Fool ( <font color="white">For the City </font> )

pineapple888 11-10-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if they are a WGA signatory.

pineapple888 11-10-2007 03:19 PM

Kind of amusing to see Jesse Jackson and the dudes from Rage Against the Machine at the rally at Fox yesterday, using rhetoric better suited for migrant farm workers than the (not) poor, (not) oppressed Hollywood writers.

But every little bit helps, I guess.

Hendricks433 11-10-2007 05:17 PM

Does anyone know if Showtime finished filming for Dexters last 6 episodes?

katyseagull 12-01-2007 01:53 PM

So I just read this article on Jay Leno's staffers.

Leno's staffers are laid off

They've all been laid off and are pretty pissed. Apparently he had reassured them that they would not miss car payments and house payments, etc. during the writer's strike. The article also mentions that Conan is personally paying some of his staff's salaries at the moment.

"O'Brien confirmed Thursday, for example, that he would pay the salaries of at least 50 nonwriting "Late Night" staffers out of his own pocket on a week-to-week basis." Yay Conan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But when I read this I could not believe my eyes -

"The fact that some of Leno's writers are paid $500,000 or more annually also didn't sit well with suddenly out-of-work production staffers who make a fraction of that amount. Writers also are getting residuals on "Tonight Show" reruns that air during the strike".

Can this be true? $500,000?? My god I didn't realize how much these writers were paid. Any chance that it is off by one zero?

Peter666 12-01-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just read this article on Jay Leno's staffers.

Leno's staffers are laid off

They've all been laid off and are pretty pissed. Apparently he had reassured them that they would not miss car payments and house payments, etc. during the writer's strike. The article also mentions that Conan is personally paying some of his staff's salaries at the moment.

"O'Brien confirmed Thursday, for example, that he would pay the salaries of at least 50 nonwriting "Late Night" staffers out of his own pocket on a week-to-week basis." Yay Conan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But when I read this I could not believe my eyes -

"The fact that some of Leno's writers are paid $500,000 or more annually also didn't sit well with suddenly out-of-work production staffers who make a fraction of that amount. Writers also are getting residuals on "Tonight Show" reruns that air during the strike".

Can this be true? $500,000?? My god I didn't realize how much these writers were paid. Any chance that it is off by one zero?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that figure would be accurate. The average writer on a show will make around $200,000 a year. A senior writer can make millions. Still, producers can make much more, and would not have a show without the writer. There are many useless executives out there in TV land.