Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   If losing, when and why do you stop? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=486947)

Marlow 08-26-2007 08:00 PM

If losing, when and why do you stop?

Was cold-decked for about 1.5 hours last night. I lost a modest amount to a good opponent, but when I finally managed to win some back, I kept playing and managed to lose it all back and then some. At the very end I lost a buy-in out of sheer frustration.

Anyway, to answer my own question: I stop when I get back to even, I finally "figure out" a good opponent, or when he gets eventually gets up. None of these are good reasons, and are terrible leaks.

So I'm interested in how other people manage to leave the table when a session isn't going their way. Thanks!

xSCWx 08-26-2007 08:03 PM

Re: If losing, when and why do you stop?

I leave if I feel that the person can outplay me. If you are outplaying him and losing due to bad luck it is still +EV for you to stay.

xSCWx 08-26-2007 08:23 PM

A pretty good example of this is playing against people who go all in every [censored] hand. Sure they are raping you short term, but when you finally catch a hand its hooker time.

jakeduke 08-26-2007 10:07 PM

I'm trying very hard to implement 2 strategies:

1) Don't play people who I think are good unless I'm looking for a challenge. If I play someone for 30 hands or so and can tell they are decent, I'll probably leave the table. Some people may not agree with that, but it's my own personal preference for now. Maybe as I gain more experience/confidence this will change.

2) Quit an opponent if he takes 2BI from you in a session. The cardrunners guys (mostly GP, but sbrugby is trying to start as well) have been preaching this for a while, and I'm trying very hard to implement it myself. Looking through my db so far, my 3 biggest winning days are when I won 3+ BI off of one person, and my 3 biggest losing days are the 3 days I lost the most to one person at one table. So even from my relatively small sample size (30k hands), I think there's some merit to quitting a table after being down a decent bit.

Marlow 08-26-2007 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying very hard to implement 2 strategies:

1) Don't play people who I think are good unless I'm looking for a challenge. If I play someone for 30 hands or so and can tell they are decent, I'll probably leave the table. Some people may not agree with that, but it's my own personal preference for now. Maybe as I gain more experience/confidence this will change.

2) Quit an opponent if he takes 2BI from you in a session. The cardrunners guys (mostly GP, but sbrugby is trying to start as well) have been preaching this for a while, and I'm trying very hard to implement it myself. Looking through my db so far, my 3 biggest winning days are when I won 3+ BI off of one person, and my 3 biggest losing days are the 3 days I lost the most to one person at one table. So even from my relatively small sample size (30k hands), I think there's some merit to quitting a table after being down a decent bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be painful to do, but it sounds right. In addition to the reason cited above, I probably start to tilt a little after losing 2 BI to a single opponent. Especially if I think I'm a better player.

ChicagoRy 08-27-2007 12:44 AM

Aba preaches quitting when down 2 buyins? WTF.

abcjnich 08-27-2007 01:24 AM

i try to leave when tilted, but that doesn't always work.

if i know im getting outplayed, ill leave, usually because i dont have my A game.

Schpacko 08-27-2007 03:20 AM

If i encounter a player that is better than me, i try to play my infamous super-fancy-and-tricky-mega-poker and usualy get busted. After that i'm really pissed and have to watch some videos on break.com where people break their bones or get beaten up. For some strange reasons, this makes me laugh and cool down. If it helps, i go on and play some matches, if it doesnt help, i quit.

KakiTee 08-27-2007 04:30 AM

[X] hooker time

-will leave if i think i'm not playing my A game, i run 2 tables of HU so i'll quit a better player for a worse one sometimes.

jakeduke 08-27-2007 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aba preaches quitting when down 2 buyins? WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he said that Ivey does this and it seems to work great, so he was gonna try it too.