Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Is Dave & Buster's a super ghetto place where you live? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429487)

El Diablo 06-17-2007 04:37 PM

Is Dave & Buster\'s a super ghetto place where you live?

Dave & Buster's is an 'adult arcade' like a Chuck-E-Cheese for grownups. Video games (lots of high-end expensive ones), pool, shuffleboard, drinks, restaurant. Right around when I graduated college in Houston they opened one there on Richmond (the main bar/nightclub strip at the time) and it was marketed as a high-end hangout place for adults. Saturday night I went to one in Milpitas (south Bay Area, near San Jose). It had a pretty different feel to it. So, for those of you who have D&B's in your area:

XXXNoahXXX 06-17-2007 04:46 PM

Re: Is Dave & Buster\'s a super ghetto place where you live?

I've been to the one in Providence Place Mall in Providence, RI.

It was nice although I didn't play any games (I know, whats the point). The food was not very good, but the arcade looked impressive and it was overall pretty clean and seemed ok.

Definitely didn't have the trendy feel they were going for, but it certainly wasn't "super ghetto."

doucy 06-17-2007 04:52 PM

Definitely not ghetto. I might not call it 'nice' in an upper-class kind of way, but no way is it ghetto.

qdmcg 06-17-2007 04:54 PM

I would also agree with the "nice" upper-class type feel. All of them (AFAIK) don't allow minors in without like 1 adult per 3 minors or something (24 and up for the adult), as to try to prevent the trashy arcade type environment.

gumpzilla 06-17-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely not ghetto. I might not call it 'nice' in an upper-class kind of way, but no way is it ghetto.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this would be my description of the one I went to (which was in Rockville outside of DC).

orange 06-17-2007 04:55 PM

It's ghetto. It's filled alot with white trash. But we're all white trash in Nebraska.

El Diablo 06-17-2007 05:07 PM

All,

See, the vibe in Houston when I went years ago was like what people are describing in this thread. It was like a much nicer version of a Malibu. Not "upscale" or anything but definitely a decent crowd, sorta like a nice pool hall or something. This was what we had in mind when my friend decided to go to Dave & Buster's for his birthday.

Instead, what we got was a place jam-packed with the most ghetto crowd I have seen in a long time, and I hang out at a number of dive bars full of punks, bikers, and alcoholic degens. Tons of couples with kids in strollers and other little kids running around. Lots of fat, ugly, horribly dressed people. Tons of thugs or wannabe thugs. Plenty of white, black, brown, and whatever other color trash you like. Super ghetto is a perfect description of the Milpitas Dave & Buster's.

When we left at about 10, they were at capacity and there was a line of 30-40 people waiting to get in! Crazy!

Next time it's the batting cages at Malibu instead.

boscoboy 06-17-2007 05:08 PM

lol can you define "ghetto" - Dave & Busters will set a family back $200 for a day of video games and lunch/dinner - not too many "ghetto" families in Philly that can afford that

kyleb 06-17-2007 05:10 PM

The one in Westlake, OH (suburb of Cleveland) is really nice and in a nice area.

Golden_Rhino 06-17-2007 05:13 PM

I live in Toronto, and the one north of the city is pretty nice. I don't know if I would call it classy, but it is by no means ghetto.