Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How many 85 year olds... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557591)

TenFiftyFour 11-29-2007 10:32 PM

How many 85 year olds...

Let's assume the same general rules, minus the fight training. You would have to figure that most of the 85 year olds would have inferior speed and balance, which will certainly work to your advantage. Also, they will have less stamina than the 5 year olds, as well as a slower recovery time should they get knocked over by a non-knockout blow.

How many can you take? I'm still working on a number for myself.

ncboiler 11-29-2007 10:34 PM

Re: How many 85 year olds...

All of them.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 10:35 PM

I'm sure my foul language alone could kill several dozen.

Jim14Qc 11-29-2007 10:49 PM

are they allowed to use their canes?

hyde 11-29-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if this guy was one of them. I'm thinking he would have kicked 90% of the asss on this site.

http://www.jacklalanne.com/jacknew.jpg

AWoodside 11-29-2007 10:51 PM

Depends on the venue. In an open field where I had room to maneuver, probably 200. In a racket ball court about 20.

Adebisi 11-29-2007 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the venue. In an open field where I had room to maneuver, probably 200. In a racket ball court about 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably take close to as many on the racket ball court as in the open field as long as they weren't allowed to have their dentures in. A couple dozen of them would probably go down by tripping over eachother and breaking a hip or just being unable to stand back up.

TenFiftyFour 11-29-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple dozen of them would probably go down by tripping over eachother and breaking a hip or just being unable to stand back up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting point. It may make it possible to take on more, since a more crowded room would increase the likelihood of the 85 year olds injuring themselves. If you could get them to trample/fall on a few on their own it would certainly help.

hoksy 11-29-2007 11:34 PM

Has nobody here heard of thing called old man strength?

mbillie1 11-29-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... I worked in a drugstore when I was in high school, and these old men would come in and buy like 4 Mr. Goodbars and nothing else, I always assumed that once you're 80 your body can exist on nothing but bad candy, is that the secret to old man strength?!?

tagtastic 11-29-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I'd bet a fair percentage of 85 year old guys could still deliver a damaging blow to even a 20 year old guy.

Being able to deliver that blow may be difficult, but if there's a bunch of them this would be easier and much more likely to happen.

hoksy 11-29-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... I worked in a drugstore when I was in high school, and these old men would come in and buy like 4 Mr. Goodbars and nothing else, I always assumed that once you're 80 your body can exist on nothing but bad candy, is that the secret to old man strength?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty common term where I'm from because all these old farmers work till they're 70+. They may look frail and decrepit but they're just lean as a mutha.

Adebisi 11-29-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I'd bet a fair percentage of 85 year old guys could still deliver a damaging blow to even a 20 year old guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd buy this for like a 70 year old, but no way for 85 year olds. These are people that should already be dead statistically speaking. If one of them threw a hard punch at me, I think they'd be far more likely to seriously injure themselves than to seriously injure me.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 11:47 PM

I think the real question is how many knife-wielding 85 year olds you could kill with a bat

Adebisi 11-29-2007 11:58 PM

Gang fight between a group of 85 year olds and a group of 5 year olds. Enclosed area with a concrete floor and cinderblock walls, no weapons, at least 50 participants on each side. At what ratio of 85 year olds to 5 year olds would the outcome of the fight be even money?

Kimbell175113 11-30-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real question is how many knife-wielding 85 year olds you could kill with a bat

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, zero. They have knives.

pnazari 11-30-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theyd miss and stab themselves...once again the answer is all of them.

J.A.K. 11-30-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are they allowed to use their feces ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimbell175113 11-30-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theyd see that they'd lucked into a knife vs bat situation and dismantle you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty 11-30-2007 12:53 AM

85 year old men are possibly surviving World War II veterans. They've been trained to kill, including in hand-to-hand combat.

Adebisi 11-30-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
85 year old men are possibly surviving World War II veterans. They've been trained to kill, including in hand-to-hand combat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 15-25% of them can't remember to take their pills or that they need to eat lunch. I'd be shocked if any more than 10% of 85 year old WWII vets remember their hand to hand combat training and have the physical capacity to put it to use.

Alobar 11-30-2007 01:15 AM

less than the number of 5 year olds I could take

mulebennett 11-30-2007 01:15 AM

150 at least

TheIrishThug 11-30-2007 01:17 AM

I just visited my 85 year old Grandma over the holiday. Based on these observations, I'd say I'd start to be in trouble when there were enough of them lying lifeless that the court would start to become full (vertically) and I would deal with a limited air supply.

If one of them had an air machine, I should be good to keep going longer.

Adebisi 11-30-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is true since an 85 year old is probably much easier to incapacitate than a 5 year old, and probably not hugely stronger. Plus many 85 year olds won't have any teeth.

I've never spent any time with 85 year old males since I generally don't run across a lot of old people in my everyday life and all of my great uncles/grandfathers died well before reaching 85, but pretty much all of my ~85 year old female relatives have some difficulty just climbing a flight of stairs, and any kind of slip/fall would likely seriously injure them.

Killua 11-30-2007 02:00 AM

On an open court, like a football field, probably over 100, you could jog to one end when you're a bit tired, and lie down for like 2 minutes to recoup.

The only real problem is when they attack in waves, if they have a good tactic I'm sure 100 could beat me. Like forming rows of ten and then coming towards me, I don't know if I could push them etc...

benza13 11-30-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way, 85 yo's would be easier to take than 5 yo's for sure

Alobar 11-30-2007 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not even. They are stronger, and they also weigh 3x as much.

Needle77 11-30-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 15-25% of them can't remember to take their pills or that they need to eat lunch. I'd be shocked if any more than 10% of 85 year old WWII vets remember their hand to hand combat training and have the physical capacity to put it to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Winters would so kick your ass.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...KU/winters.jpg

Edit: I put up a picture of the wrong guy, though the other guy was funnier looking.

benza13 11-30-2007 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no stamina and they would break much easier due to osteoporosis and [censored]

ChipWrecked 11-30-2007 02:56 AM

A lot fewer than 5 year olds.

85 year old men have had a lot of time to learn dirty tricks.

Jay Riall 11-30-2007 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Winters would so kick your ass.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...KU/winters.jpg

Edit: I put up a picture of the wrong guy, though the other guy was funnier looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bring Dick Winters into the picture I think the question becomes how many 20 year olds could Dick Winters take.

orange 11-30-2007 04:23 AM

Alot of 85 year olds are [censored] hardasses. These guys have seen it all, depression, war, etc. I wouldnt [censored] with an 85 year old vet or farmer.

kevin017 11-30-2007 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 year olds are way faster and more resilient. i'm thinking i could take out 30 of either. but, i'm pretty confident i couldn't take more than 30 5 year olds, but i could see myself maybe being able to take more than 30 85 year olds if i carefully knock them out one by one. there wouldn't be the same inevitibility of being swarmed like there is with 5 year olds.

OrrLives 11-30-2007 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The extra weight and height factor is not being taken into account by enough posters. You can kick all the 5 years olds, but the older folks will require some upper body work. If they latch on they could do some damage.

321Mike 11-30-2007 08:33 AM

My grandfather is a 91 year old Maine potato farmer. He's gone downhill the last couple years, but 6 years ago I'd have taken even money on him in a fistfight against at least a third of the people on this forum.

JammyDodga 11-30-2007 10:09 AM

85 year olds are smarter too, so they could plan and stuff. Or at least some of them could. You could have the guys with weak bodies and good brains directing hordes of the demented but freakishly strong

JokersAttack 11-30-2007 10:25 AM

what about this scenario?

Arnie, Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Antonio Banderas and Stallone v 10000 85 year olds in an open plain?

marchron 11-30-2007 10:48 AM

Jack Bauer wins.

wadea 11-30-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
85 year olds are smarter too, so they could plan and stuff. Or at least some of them could. You could have the guys with weak bodies and good brains directing hordes of the demented but freakishly strong

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this will be a key factor. They will have a very organized attack and will not be picked off one at a time. This and "dad-muscles" will more than offset their diminished ability to recover from injury. However, I think the difference in fighting ability between 85 year old men and women is probably much greater than between 5 year old boys and girls. In fact, the 5 year old girls might physically be the best fighters of the group. I assume we're still fighting an equal mix.