Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   AK top two river fold (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=92520)

efficacy 04-20-2006 12:29 PM

AK top two river fold

Villain is unknown and this is my first orbit. I think I like it. Do you?

Party 10/20 6 max 6 handed

Villain opens from MP and I 3-bet AK on the button.

Flop (7.5sb): AJ3r
check, bet, call.

Turn (4.75BB): Tr
Villain C/R, I call.

River (9.75BB): K
Villain C/R, I fold

efficacy 04-20-2006 10:20 PM

Re: AK top two river fold

Is this standard? I can't not value bet top two right? Also, villain can't not have a queen here, right?

Thanks,
Ryan

IronFly 04-20-2006 10:40 PM

I call, but I am also a sucker.

Adam Stewart 04-20-2006 11:08 PM

What are you putting the villain on? After his turn check/raise, the likely culprits that beat you are AJ, AT, KQ, and A3. However, other possible holdings inlcude AA, JJ, TT, Ax. (AA, JJ, TT are less likely due to simple mathematical probability, and because villain did not cap preflop).

This is a good reason for not re-raising the turn. In fact, an arguement could be made that calling the turn check-raise was a thin call - but against an unknown, I'm not folding here either.

The river, however, helps you, and you now beat a number of villain's likley holdings.

A river call is justified.

Edit: after further review, the villain's river check-raise is somewhat odd. It's very likely you're beat by a Queen or even a fancy played KK. However, I still think you need to call, especially against an unknown.

Adam

efficacy 04-20-2006 11:14 PM

I think a worse two-pair check raises this river like never, and a set would most likely bet-call.

Adam Stewart 04-20-2006 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a worse two-pair check raises this river like never, and a set would most likely bet-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, damn, I know what you mean.

I just hate having to fold here (against an unknown) ... makes me wonder if initially checking the river is the best play overall .

Adam

efficacy 04-20-2006 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ick... I don't like that line either, but I guess it should be considered.

Ya, damn, I know what you mean.

I just hate having to fold here (against an unknown) ... makes me wonder if initially checking the river is the best play overall .

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bryce 04-21-2006 12:11 AM

Super-smart guy that you've played thousands of hands with maybe. Unkown? Never. It's cliche, but pay the unknowns off.