Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Mike's Log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=499282)

mperich 09-12-2007 05:00 AM

Mike\'s Log

Well Ive been super lazy with keeping track of progress lately , which hasnt really mattered because Ive been gaining pretty fast..but I have a feeling Im starting to plateau a bit so keeping better records will def be helpful.

Background

I used to work out a bit just after highschool and got up to about 170lbs (was about 150 grad year) Was in pretty decent shape, then didnt work out for basically 3 yrs, or play any sports etc. Dropped back down to 155. Started back at the gym about 6 wks ago and am back up to 167 now, with pretty good strength gains (muscle memory ftw) So yah, basically Im back where I started which is probably just a little below my peak conditioning. Also for the record my bf% is between 17.3 and 15 (according to scale which I realize isnt that great but good enough reference for now)

Goals

Well, short term Id like to get up to 185 or so with similar bf. Other than that I dont have many specific goals..Id like to bench 225x10 which Im pretty far away from Im sure (seeing as I dont do barbell bench atm) Id also like to squat 405x10. Also, Id like to work on my deadlift form and weight since its BRUTAL right now (weight anyways 155 for reps) Also would like to finally get 10xBW pullups for once in my life. (3x10 would be even better but 10 would be a nice start) Ive never been able to do this..got 8 off last week and when I started I could only do 4 so hopefully soon.

Nutrition/Supps

Havent really been monitoring my cals/macros. Might start to might not. I would estimate Im getting about 250g of protein/day and probably around 3500-4000 cals from clean sources. Also I dont eat fish which sorta sucks but I eat tons of chicken and turkey. Also a LOT of brown rice and a little whole wheat pasta. And a fair bit of granola.

As far as supps go I take creatine, a multi, whey, BCAAs, glutamine, and NOxplode. Also vitamin C and water.

Workout

Im on a basic 5 day split right now with some core work and cardio mixed in pretty randomly. I mix up the days most weeks with back or legs usually on day 1 and day 4 and the rest mixed up pretty good. Im also getting 2 sets of kettlebells in hopefully this week but havent started yet. Ive been slacking on mixing up the individual excercises but will probably start soon (again, havent really had to yet but will probably need to soon) I dunno if this system is the most effective or what people on this board like, but its worked well for me always (aside from legs which I will switch to higher reps sometimes), so Ill stick with it for now unless I start to seriously plateau

09/12/07

k so todays workout was legs.

3min light biking

Squats

Prev PR: 1x205x10 2x225x10 last week

10x135 (warmup)
225x10
275x8
225x10

Dumbell Walking Lunges

Prev PR 3x45x9

3x50x9

Lying Hamstring Curls

PR unknown

10x80
10x95
8x80

Gym closed before I could do my calves but they are a bit sore from jumping rope anyways so no biggie. All in all a pretty good workout. I might try to change my squat reps to 15 next week, prolly around 225. We'll see tho cuz Id also like to get a few reps off at 3 plates but that might hafta wait till 2 wks from now. Also my calves started cramping during the last set of hammy curls which I think is due to the fact I was sweating more than usual. Not a nice feeling tho.

Tomorrow: Chest or Shoulders not sure yet leaning towards chest.

-Mike

mperich 09-13-2007 03:31 AM

Re: Mike\'s Log

9/12/07 (got date wrong yesterday)

Chest

3min bike warmup

Flat DB Press

PR - 10x60

10x35 Warmup
9x60
9x55
10x50

Incline DB Press

PR 3x45x10

45x10
45x9
40x10

Decline DB Press

45x8
40x9

Incline DB Flies

12x17.5
12x20
12x20

Well, not that great of a workout overall. Last weeks chest was probably my most focused workout since Ive been back and was a huge step up in strength. This week was a step back and I just didnt feel that focused. Also, my forearms were on FIRE and im not sure why...I couldnt do my last set of decline because of that and they were killing me after my 3rd set of flat DB. Was gonna do shoulders tmrw but I think Ill move them to sat and take the day off.

-Mike

mperich 09-14-2007 01:25 AM

Took the day off..might do some light core at home later tonite. Also ordered my kettlebells today. The place Im getting from is out of 16kg so I had to get the 24kg to start (50lb) Hopefully its not too heavy, but if it is they get more 16kgs in 2-3 weeks. Also, ordering some ZMA right now so we'll see how that goes. Tomorrow is back...hopefully. If my legs are still as sore as today I might move back to saturday and do shoulders tmrw.

-Mike

mperich 09-15-2007 03:09 AM

9/14/2007

Back

3min bike warmup

Wide Grip Pullups

PR 8xBW

9xBW
6XBW
5xBW

Deadlifts

PR 155x8

10x45 Warmup
10x135
6x185
10x155
10x185

Bentover Barbell Rows

PR 3x10x60

3x10x70

Seated Cable Rows

10x70
2x10x85

Overall a very good day for me as I set new PRs in everything. 1 pullup short of my goal of 10xBW so that sort of sucked but hopefully next time.

Deadlifts was very strong (for me anyways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] today. It was sort of an erratic day with them tho. The 135 set went up super ez which it usually doesnt. So I decided to move up to 185 and it felt really heavy (i think this was just a mental thing tho since it was a fair bit heavier than my PR. I barely got the 6 off and felt my form was a bit off on the last rep so I moved the weight back to 155. This set went up really easy again tho, so I decided I'd try for another 5 or 6 at 185. Obv that went well and I got 10 off. I actually felt like I could have done a heavier set (maybe 205-225) but Id already done more sets than I usually do and didnt want to exhaust myself for the rest of the workout. I also started with my hips a bit higher than usual after watching some form videos, and I think that helped a lot in upping the pounds. I felt like my form was def. the best its been, so that was awesome. Weight is up to 170 today so woooo. BF is .4% over where I started today, which is still pretty good, and Im def not worried about it for now.

Next weeks back goals: Im hoping it goes something like warmup, 185x8 2x225x(6-8). Also, hopefully next week is the week for pullups!

Tomorrows Workout: Shoulders

-Mike

secretprankster 09-15-2007 08:53 AM

You do some high reps. I throw in 12-15 rep squat days once in awhile and they're awesome (long-term; short-term I want to puke) but I can't do them often.

Your DL/squat numbers are very weird, lol. Most people solidly outpull their squat AFAIK.

Keep it up though.

SmileyEH 09-15-2007 10:00 AM

Just noticed that. Mike, you need to get past parallel - there's almost noway you are squatting correctly with those numbers.

Thremp 09-15-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just noticed that. Mike, you need to get past parallel - there's almost noway you are squatting correctly with those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule of thumb, if you squat more than you pull, you aren't going deep enough.

mperich 09-15-2007 06:49 PM

Do you guys recommend going past quad parallel? Ive heard that for bodybuilding ATG is best, but for strength training quads parallel is best. Regardless, I just did some body squats at quad parallel and its probably a little deeper than my form with heavy load so I think you guys are probably right. Also, I havent been training deadlifts as long as squats so that could also be contributing. Regardless, I will probably stick with 225 next leg day and not move up, while concentrating on form/quad parallel (or deeper/lighter if you guys think thats better). 225 is also my goal for deads next week so hopefully thats more in line with normal.

Also, for who said I do high reps, yah Ive always liked high reps. I will switch it up form time to time. Deadlifts I usually pull 8...last workout was pretty messed up as I couldnt get a weight that was comfortable for me so I just pulled as many as I can (up to 10), which ended up being 10 for most. Hopefully I have a better idea of the weight I can pull now and next week will be 4 or 5 sets of 6-8. I also like to do high rep squats sometimes (well usually once I am actually in decent cardio/muscle endurance shape, which Im def not right now)

Oh yah, 1 more thing re: leg day. The gym I go to doesnt have a seated/standing calf raise machine (wtf). Its got some crappy weird machine that I dont like but have been using. A guy at the gym was trying to explain what he does for calves but I didnt exactly get what he was saying since he didnt show me. Anyways I think it was just loading up the smith rack and doing calf raises, but he also talked about using a box sometimes and raising off that (which i guess would be better ROM). Which of these is better do you think (or is there something else I could be doing) Thanks

-Mike

SmileyEH 09-15-2007 06:57 PM

mike, i don't train my calves at all, or my forearms, or posterior deltoids, or biceps brachia...you get the idea.

mperich 09-16-2007 04:17 AM

9/15/2007

Shoulders

Warmup: 4-5 min jump rope

Standing Overhead DB Press

PR - ???

10x40
9x45
9x40

Front DB Raises

PR 3x10x15

3x10x17.5

Lateral DB Raises

PR 3x10x15

8x17.5
2x10x15

Rear Lateral Raises

PR ???

10x15
2x10x17.5

Today was a home workout, which I dont really like as much but I was super busy and its a lot quicker. Didnt do shrugs cuz my DB's only go up to 52.5..guess I coulda done some high rep shrugs but they arent a huge priority for me anyways so meh. Anyways a pretty good workout..my shoulders were on FIRE tho, yikes. I dunno if its lactic acid or just a painful pump but man my shoulders always burn (ESPECIALLY today).

Next weeks shoulder goals: Meh. Hopefully 3x10x45 for DB press, but it will be seated instead of standing so not sure if those are exactly comparable, altho I cant see the diff being too huge.

Tomorrows workout: Arms, if I have time. I havent done barbell curls since Ive been back and I have no idea why. Pretty stupid actually, but Ive just been on DB curls, so Im looking forward to a good arm workout.

-Mike