Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Is this too weak? (NLTRN) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550802)

emKay 11-20-2007 05:39 PM

Is this too weak? (NLTRN)

This was on eof the first hands of the session, so I had no reads. His check on the flop and small turn bet screams weakness, should I have raised him up here?

Poker Stars, $55 + $2.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 10/20 Blinds, 2 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: 1,610
Hero (SB): 1,390

Pre-Flop: (30) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">Hero raises to 60</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to 160</font>, Hero calls 100

Flop: (320) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (320) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets 100</font>, Hero folds

Results: 320 Pot
BB mucked and WON 320 (+160 NET)

tmcdmck 11-20-2007 05:41 PM

Re: Is this too weak? (NLTRN)

seems fine to me: villain would probably cr or cc that flop, and youre probably behind anyway, so nothing wrong with the fold.

emKay 11-20-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and youre probably behind anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not an argument. When I raise here, it's solely as a bluff. It doesn't matter if I'm ahead or behind.

pokercurious 11-20-2007 05:59 PM

What had he been doing preflop the previous few hands?

Completely readless, I'd expect him to be on a medium pocket pair a lot of the time, A8+ occasionally (skewed to the bigger aces), and flush draws pretty rarely.

I think the problem with a raise here is that you won't get a lot of credit after calling the PF 3bet and checking behind the flop; and if he calls the raise, I can't think of too many rivers that are good to bet at. In my mind that makes this a good fold.

The alternative play, perhaps, is to flatcall the turn and try to take it away on a good scare card on the river - I'm not super comfortable with that either though.

I like the fold.

daveT 11-20-2007 07:01 PM

Yes, that is weak.

tmcdmck 11-20-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and youre probably behind anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not an argument. When I raise here, it's solely as a bluff. It doesn't matter if I'm ahead or behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

you read the first half of that sentence right? the bit where i said i didnt really see him folding . . .

emKay 11-20-2007 07:44 PM

tmc, yes and I agree with that. That's the reason I didn't bet the flop.
Nothing special went on the previous hands. IIRC this was the first time he 3bet me.