Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   chopsticks, fried rice, white people (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553829)

tyler_cracker 11-24-2007 11:25 PM

chopsticks, fried rice, white people

i am a late-20s white guy who was born and raised in California (SD and bay area). one of my best friends, whom i have known since i was 12, is first-generation chinese (his parents are from Taiwan). i also have tastebuds. because of these things, i not infrequently get a craving for chinese food.

today was one of those days. days of turkey and potatoes, while delicious, left me with a craving for some fried rice. unfortunately, i live in Las Vegas and have yet to find a particularly good chinese restaraunt[**]. a series of misadventures (apparently it's ok to just close between 2pm and 5pm on a saturday when i'm hungry and out driving around) led me to Sam Woo BBQ in scenic Chinatown.

i was seated at a table. the place setting contained a plate, an upside-down tea cup, a napkin, and a pair of plastic chopsticks. a waiter appeared in the form of a brusque middle-aged chinese guy. he was kind of balding up front but his hair was kinda long -- not the best look. anyway, i told him i wanted chicken fried rice and a glass of water. he mumbled and disappeared.

he returned a few moments later with a glass of water and a fork, which he set down on my plate.

now i am quite competent with chopsticks. i don't have the fine motor control to qualify as an expert, nor can i catch flies from mid-air, but i'm still no slouch. i can cut tofu into quarters for the table, and i have twice eaten birthday cake with chopsticks when the hostess ran out of forks.

obviously, the waiter has no way to know this; he just sees a scruffy/dorky looking white dude, eating alone at Sam Woo BBQ in Las Vegas with a book. still, whenever this happens, i find it kinda funny, and appreciate that i am smart enough to know the difference between benevolent efficiency and racism.

so here are some talking points:

I. first of all, am i weird for eating fried rice with chopsticks? i feel like i've seen asian people eating fried rice with a fork, but maybe those were flilpinos (in which case all bets are off anyway).

II. are you adept with chopsticks but prefer a fork for handling fried rice? let's chat!

III. are you a white person who enjoys asian cuisine and is often offered an unrequested fork? how do you handle it? how does it make you feel? are you preparing a motion with the ACLU?

IV. have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society? that would be weird.

[**] recommendations are heartily appreciated, btw.

here is one resource: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=4&vc=1

here is something that is sort of a resource, but sometimes awesomely bad instead because vegas is populated by stupid, stupid people:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/bestoflv/

the people's choice for Best Chinese Food is (drum roll) P.F. Chang's.

the editor's choice, however, was Sam Woo BBQ, which turned out to be helpful.

mbillie1 11-24-2007 11:40 PM

Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

I've never been offered/given chopsticks in any asian restaurants before, and I'm a 25 year old white guy. Do you wear a hockey helmet and/or bib?

XXXNoahXXX 11-24-2007 11:46 PM

when i order delivery chinese, i just use a fork because im shoveling it into my mouth.

when i go to a nice restaurant, i use chopsticks, because i'm not in a rush and its part of the experience for me.

Tony_P 11-24-2007 11:51 PM

I used to go to this place in NYC's chinatown that had mostly chinese people eating at it. When me and my ex-g/f would go in the waitress would come over and give us a dirty look and say "you want fork?" and when we said no, she would smile and be all nice to us.

This doesn't relate to your question, but I wanted to share since I'm bored

stabn 11-25-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to go to this place in NYC's chinatown that had mostly chinese people eating at it. When me and my ex-g/f would go in the waitress would come over and give us a dirty look and say "you want fork?" and when we said no, she would smile and be all nice to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

My gf is asian so they often bring us one fork and give it to me. I then hand it to her and eat with chopsticks while she uses a fork.

NoahSD 11-25-2007 12:21 AM

This has happened to me a bunch, and I don't really mind it.

I'm reasonably proficient with chopsticks, so I don't ask for a fork when I'm given chopsticks. But I def prefer a fork and I'm happy when I'm given them.

JokersAttack 11-25-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My gf is asian so they often bring us one fork and give it to me. I then hand it to her and eat with chopsticks while she uses a fork.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting.

Pics?

kerowo 11-25-2007 12:28 AM

How much do you tip for something like that?

pookvis 11-25-2007 12:28 AM

I'm not bad with chopsticks, was taught from an early age, and I can eat rice with them but sometimes for rice a fork is just easier I think. I wouldnt choose to eat any other chinese food with a fork but rice is 50/50 for me. I think the easy of using chopsticks also depends on the quality of the fried rice.

ofdabeat 11-25-2007 12:46 AM

Spoons are the nuts for fried rice : left hand fork right hand spoon.

Chopsticks are perfect for shichuanese delicacies though.

Claunchy 11-25-2007 12:57 AM

I'm okay with chopsticks, but I like having a fork handy in case I get tired of using them. If the waiter didn't bring me a fork I probably wouldn't ask for one though.

[**]Ping Pang Pong in the Gold Coast is delicious imo.

BDub1 11-25-2007 01:07 AM

Noodles at Bellagio gets my vote

Vyse 11-25-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoons are the nuts for fried rice : left hand fork right hand spoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

edfurlong 11-25-2007 01:12 AM

Because he's a pinko ladyboy lover.

heater 11-25-2007 01:12 AM

My Chinese friends throw a fit when we go to KFC in Shanghai and they don't get a spork for their mashed potatoes.

fartman77 11-25-2007 01:13 AM

i couldn't help but notice your avatar op and if you are super white like the avatar suggests (lol socks and sandals), you're gonna be given a fork 10 times out of 10.

using chopsticks for eating fried rice is fine as long as you scoop a portion and eat from a small bowl. it is common among asians to eat it in a manner in which you bring the bowl to your mouth and shovel the rice with the chopsticks.

eating fried rice from a plate w/ chopsticks would just be impractical; you are not gonna be able lift much food with them. if you are going to eat from a plate, i actually suggest a table spoon. imo forks are only slightly worse than chopsticks in being able to efficiently bring food to your mouth.

but yeah, don't be offended if you are offered forks or treated as a "white" customer. immigrant non-english speaking asians base a lot of their cross-cultural interactions on stereotypes, as they don't know any better.

i hope this helps.

ofdabeat 11-25-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hum... Please die ok?

edfurlong 11-25-2007 01:17 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Sorry, you're probably not a pinko.

BigPoppa 11-25-2007 01:19 AM

I lived in Japan, where I ate everything with either my fingers or chopsticks (even Ramen). I knew I'd gone native when I found myself squatting in my room eating fried pork with chopsticks while watching the Hanchin Tigers on TV.

I then moved to Berlin, which has "China Box" fast food noodle shops everywhere. They would get quite amused by the white guy who asked for chopsticks and used them instead of the plastic fork they usually provided. Also, no one in the Sushi restaurants there can actually speak any Japanese.

Vyse 11-25-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hum... Please die ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALM DOWN

XXXNoahXXX 11-25-2007 01:26 AM

Vyse,

Does whether or not they bring a fork impact their slim chances of receiving a tip?

Vyse 11-25-2007 01:34 AM

if they don't bring a fork i'm obviously eating and walking out without paying. like i'm gonna eat with chopsticks. those are for chinks.

joes28 11-25-2007 01:56 AM

lol at the person who invented chop sticks. seriously, two sticks, thats all you can think of? probably the worst idea ever. Even 2 round ovals would be better than sticks.

marchron 11-25-2007 01:58 AM

I'm decent with chopsticks . . . except with rice.

Helpful tip if you want to either look like a dork and/or don't want to break down and use silverware: Take the paper sleeve you got your chopsticks in and fold it over itself a few times. Place it in between the sticks at one of the ends. Wrap a rubber band around the sticks just below where you put the paper. Voila, chopsticks with training wheels.

fartman77 11-25-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at the person who invented chop sticks. seriously, two sticks, thats all you can think of? probably the worst idea ever. Even 2 round ovals would be better than sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl chopsticks are quite versatile if you learn to use them properly. imo forks = beat b/c sharp metal objects in yer mouth is just dangerous.

NT! 11-25-2007 02:34 AM

i am looking at this OP trying to figure out why anyone would possibly need like five [censored] pages to say 'lol, i am white and they gave me a fork'

tyler_cracker 11-25-2007 02:42 AM

mbillie,

[ QUOTE ]
Do you wear a hockey helmet

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[ QUOTE ]
and/or bib?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

stabn,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does your gf not know how to use chopsticks, or does she just prefer the fork? if so, why? which does her family use at home?

claunchy,

[ QUOTE ]
Ping Pang Pong in the Gold Coast is delicious imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, good call. i think their potstickers are excellent. they were, unfortunately and maddeningly, one of the restaraunts that was closed until "dinner time"!

bdub,

[ QUOTE ]
Noodles at Bellagio gets my vote

[/ QUOTE ]

good suggestion, but maybe too pricey for me? i'll have to check out the menu the next time i'm in there.

nt,

[ QUOTE ]
i am looking at this OP trying to figure out why anyone would possibly need like five [censored] pages to say 'lol, i am white and they gave me a fork'

[/ QUOTE ]

poetic license?

Life 11-25-2007 03:13 AM

yea lol at using chopsticks for fried rice. spoons ftw. if not spoon, then fork. nobody eats fried rice w chopsticks from a plate.

tyler_cracker 11-25-2007 03:35 AM

life and other spooners,

in the situation presented, are you specifically requesting a spoon? also, what color are you?

for the record, i had no trouble using chopsticks to demolish half of the sizable mound of fried rice right off the serving platter.

fartman,

unfortunate screen name you've got there.

[ QUOTE ]

i couldn't help but notice your avatar op and if you are super white like the avatar suggests (lol socks and sandals), you're gonna be given a fork 10 times out of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not super light-skinned, but yeah, no one has ever assumed i'm anything but a white guy (and yes, those are my real feet in my real tevas-with-socks. be nice or i will sic the wrath of Peter Harris upon you.).

still, my rate of fork offers/restaraunt visit is far below 100% over my lifetime. in california, i think it's pretty common for everyone to know how to use chopsticks because asian culture has a long history there.

in vegas, there is no culture. i have been openly gawked at many times (primarily by old locals, obv) while eating those delicious potstickers from Ping Pang Pong in the Gold Coast poker room. once a chinese-from-china dealer (Lili) just straight up asked me, "you're going to eat with chopsticks?" as i was preparing to deftly dunk a whole dumpling into a cup of soy sauce.

anyway, the shovel-from-the-bowl method is obviously a good technique to have in the toolbox. would you specifically request a bowl if you were in my socks-and-sandals?

Life 11-25-2007 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
life and other spooners,

in the situation presented, are you specifically requesting a spoon? also, what color are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, i havent been to a restaurant where you dont get the utensils yourself from the counter in a long time. but in your case i think they should be bringing the spoon w the dish. if not, and im too lazy to ask, i might just eat w the fork. im chinese btw. but if they just bring out the fried rice and only give me chopsticks i'd totally be like wtf.

fartman77 11-25-2007 04:41 AM

let's see, personally i try not to work my waiter too much or do anything to piss him/her off. asking for utensils shouldn't be a problem, it's not like i'm sending food back or anything. but i def like to minimize the chances of pissing the waiter off, and sending him to get something could do that(as the saying goes, don't fk with ppl who handle your food). i can live with the given fork or chopsticks. (note: i just thought about it, you can probably ask away as long as you do so after the food comes out. can't mess w/ your food once it's alrdy out)

But if you're a regular or tip well, you can always ask for anything at any time, really. shovel from the bowl method is def a good technique and it makes you look like a natural at eating fried rice. once again, very common for asians to use this method (if you are looking to fit in or assimilate a bit)

what color am i? yellow i guess? lol better to ask what race/ethnicity. I'm asian/chinese btw.

oh, when i called you super-white i didn't mean in complexion, i meant super-white in a cultural context. socks and sandals? only white ppl would wear that combo. don't take it as an insult, i'm teasing you is all.

gauging from the response from the dealer and locals, they were probably just surprised at a white person being able to use chopsticks. probably an uncommon sight in vegas i'm guessing.

adsman 11-25-2007 04:43 AM

Tyler,

I liked your post a lot. Socks with sandals are the ghey. I only see German tourists doing this. I think that they're made to do it because they suck at winning wars.

[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that this hasn't got any attention. Personally I think it would be really, really interesting to do this and see their reaction. What would be truly awesome would be to set yourself up with a hidden camera and go into a Chinese restaurant like you did and film them giving you a fork without you asking for it. Then you organise to stalk the waiter outside work until he goes into a non-Asian restaurant to eat. Bribe the waiter to give him chopsticks and film it.

MC Chris 11-25-2007 04:49 AM

very hot idea adsman

JokersAttack 11-25-2007 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl chopsticks are quite versatile if you learn to use them properly. imo forks = beat b/c sharp metal objects in yer mouth is just dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT'S A TARP
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/142...2771CHjg_w.jpg

PokrLikeItsProse 11-25-2007 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I. first of all, am i weird for eating fried rice with chopsticks? i feel like i've seen asian people eating fried rice with a fork, but maybe those were flilpinos (in which case all bets are off anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

If they were Filipinos, they'd be eating rice with a spoon, not a fork.

As for those of you who have problems eating fried rice from a plate with chopsticks, a useful technique is to approach it from the side as if you are using a two-pronged fork.

tyler_cracker 11-25-2007 04:56 AM

adsman,

[ QUOTE ]
I liked your post a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you, sir.

[ QUOTE ]
Socks with sandals are the ghey.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
What would be truly awesome would be to set yourself up with a hidden camera and go into a Chinese restaurant like you did and film them giving you a fork without you asking for it. Then you organise to stalk the waiter outside work until he goes into a non-Asian restaurant to eat. Bribe the waiter to give him chopsticks and film it.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet. i think i would need an assistant to pull this off, though. i'll look you up the next time i'm in Small Italian Alpine Village. perhaps your ninja cohort could be of some assistance?

fartman,

[ QUOTE ]

let's see, personally i try not to work my waiter too much or do anything to piss him/her off. asking for utensils shouldn't be a problem, it's not like i'm sending food back or anything. but i def like to minimize the chances of pissing the waiter off, and sending him to get something could do that

[/ QUOTE ]

do you live in the US? this sounds tremendously paranoid to me. getting me utensils or sending back an incorrect order ought to be painfully standard, unless you're a dick about it or whatever. perhaps you need to use "please" and "thank you" more?

[ QUOTE ]
what color am i? yellow i guess? lol better to ask what race/ethnicity. I'm asian/chinese btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was being facetious by referring to your ehtnic heritage as your "color". see, cuz my "race" is "white" so by analogy yours should also be a color. asian == yellow in this context. are you a native speaker of english?

[ QUOTE ]
i meant super-white in a cultural context. socks and sandals? only white ppl would wear that combo. don't take it as an insult, i'm teasing you is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should say that, since i learned to wear socks-and-sandals from the japanese in Hawaii.

an example from formal (and presumably obsolete) japanese attire:
http://www.japanesekimono.com/images/kimono_dress.jpg

that's not a great picture, but you see what i'm talking about.

life,

now that you mention it, there was a large serving spoon brought with my rice. i was under the impression that this was to convey the rice from the serving platter to the individual's plate when eating family style. since i was eating alone, should i have tried to stick that big ol' thing into my mouth? is that what you would have done? what if you were eating with others?

felson 11-25-2007 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society? that would be weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because that would be unhelpful. Everyone knows how to use a fork (at least, in the US). Not everyone knows how to use chopsticks.

fartman77 11-25-2007 06:09 AM

yes, i was born and raised in the US.

i guess you can attribute my "paranoia" to watching too many movies involving food tampering in restaurants.

being described or referring to myself as yellow, just sounds bad. think of it the same way as when ppl think twice when calling those that are essentially black as either black or african. you know what i'm talking about. comedy tv shows love to parody this situation. it's always a bit awkward, but still funny for the 3rd person pov. most choose the latter to sound pc. it is the same for yellow/asian.

yes, i am a native english speaker. even though i'm 1st gen chinese/vietnamese, i found english to be much easier to learn and use.

i see you went ahead and got technical with the above described example of the socks/sandals combo taken from the japanese culture. It's more of an exception rather than the rule. when i describe the socks/sandals combo as being "super-white," i mean socks with the sandals like the one on your avatar. that specific style i would characterize as "super-white" as i believe only white people would sport that look.

...i think i cleared everything.

fartman77 11-25-2007 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard of an asian person being offered chopsticks while eating a meal from a fork-based society? that would be weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because that would be unhelpful. Everyone knows how to use a fork (at least, in the US). Not everyone knows how to use chopsticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i agree with this. forks are easy to use (grasp the handle and poke) and the ability to use it is ubiquitous and probably not limited to the US. chopsticks require some dexterity to use and as a result, not as common worldwide. thus, it's less of a societal matter and more of a physical one.

chopsticks 11-25-2007 06:48 AM

hi